Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw another type doing fictional characters and it reminded me of something I've been thinking about even before I knew the Enneagram.

It always struck me, and depressed me, that the qualities in myself that I would now call 9-ishness would also make me a terrible protagonist. In writing workshops you always get the advice, "Let the plot unfold from who your characters are! What do they want? What will they do to get what they want?" ...and I'm like, uh... DO? WANT? TRY? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Since I've had this clearer template of 9 to compare characters to, I've always been on the lookout for fictional 9s. I found a few awesome side characters, but the only MAIN PROTAGONIST who's stood out for me as a 9 is the kid in The Perks of Being a Wallflower whose name I can't even remember, and he's such a clear example of an UNHEALTHY 9 that it's actually painful to me (in a "There but for the grace of God" type way). He's really a tragic figure. Like I said, depressing.

I think I've seen it suggested that Anne of Green Gables is a 9, which is a much better option as she is pretty much my favorite fictional character EVER EVER EVER, but I'm not so sure she is. She's SO outspoken and melodramatic, and would a "Peacemaker" really break a slate over somebody's head without guilt and embroil herself in heated (though possibly one-sided) competition with said somebody in every aspect of life for years? I don't know, I'm a wing-1, and it's possible this IS more likely for a w8. But I think 4 is more likely. Maybe 9w8 SX, but still, not quite.

But at least we get some awesome side characters, like, as mentioned elsewhere, Princess UniKitty.

And I know I mentioned in a thread about romance between 9s, Pride and Prejudice's Jane Bennett AND her beloved Charles Bingley. Their 9 qualities make them well-loved, but they also accidentally drive them apart there for awhile.

And probably my favorite 9 character, Luna Lovegood. I've seen people describe her as a 4, but she's the opposite of Anne Shirley for me-- sure she's weird, but she doesn't TRY to be weird, it's just who she is, and she's fairly unconscious of it. She's aware that she gets bullied, but she's just like, "Well, it would be nice if, since it's the end of the school year, I could FIND my shoes to take them home...." She lives in a very happy dreamworld, with absolutely no melodrama.

Anyway, who do you see in fiction (books, TV, whatever) as a 9?

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Tolkien
C.S. Lewis
George Lucas

Nick Carraway (Great Gatsby)
Kevin Spacey in American Beauty
Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate
Adam Sandler in most Adam Sandler movies but also Punch Drunk Love
Edward Norton in Fight Club

The nine challenge is pushing through the sloth, finding something important enough to fight for (self-actualization). Nines can make great protagonists. Unhealthy inertia is healthy gravitas.

Standing up, speaking out. Nines are those volcanoes of anger, passive-peaceful until . . .

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nine challenge is pushing through the sloth, finding something important enough to fight for (self-actualization). Nines can make great protagonists. Unhealthy inertia is healthy gravitas.

Standing up, speaking out. Nines are those volcanoes of anger, passive-peaceful until . . .
Good points! Good characters, too, although again-- so many are tragic!

From what I know about him, Lewis may have written some 9ish stuff, but I highly doubt he was a 9 himself! Tolkien on the other hand, yeah. (Have you ever heard Diana Wynne Jones describing what it was actually like to have each of them as professors?)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, what would you guess for Lewis?
I'm not sure, but he was very ...boisterous? I'm not sure that's the word I want. But he definitely had PRESENCE, and he was the opposite of shy about sharing his opinions.

I'm going from more than JUST Diana Wynne Jones' opinions on the matter, but I really enjoyed her stories about taking classes from them, particularly her story about Tolkien-- that he mumbled his lectures and basically seemed to just want everyone to go away so he could just lose himself in his own research/Middle-Earth-building, but Jones and a few others INSISTED on continuing to show up for class, and she imagined him thinking WHY AREN'T YOU PEOPLE GOING AWAY YET? So... yeah, kind of 9ish.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
@rockinlibrarian
On the bright side, main characters often aren't the most interesting in a story anyway (though I find that to be a bit of a shame at times). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually considered writing a story with a type 9 protagonist, but I don't have the attention span to plan out a story (and I guess I often imagine her taking the role as an observer).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main character in "the Color Purple"
*sigh* So sad, but I guess she at least got to be ultimately triumphant.

Oh, but I just realized that if I thought hard enough I could have found some MAIN character 9s in Austen, too, and SHE at least always gives her main characters happy endings, too. Fanny Price leans more toward the tragically ineffective Type 9, but I think Anne Elliot might be a 9 as well, and that plotline is all about regretting a 9ish mistake and turning it around, so....

@rockinlibrarian
I actually considered writing a story with a type 9 protagonist, but I don't have the attention span to plan out a story (and I guess I often imagine her taking the role as an observer).
EXACTLY MY PROBLEM! Plural. Multiple problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, cool coincidence that this bounced up to the top right when I came on here, because I MAY have found another ultimately-not-tragic heroine to add to the list, but I'm not sure.

My daughter was watching Frozen this morning, so I started thinking: what do you think about Elsa, enneagram-wise? I mean she doesn't seem particularly 9ish personally, but her dilemma feels 9ish. The whole keeping-yourself-pressed-down to keep from causing problems, but your self-repression backfiring by causing problems anyway, and when you finally let all that repressed feeling out it just explodes? At any rate, I can RELATE it to my 9ishness, even if the character herself is not necessarily so.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Wow, cool coincidence that this bounced up to the top right when I came on here, because I MAY have found another ultimately-not-tragic heroine to add to the list, but I'm not sure.

My daughter was watching Frozen this morning, so I started thinking: what do you think about Elsa, enneagram-wise? I mean she doesn't seem particularly 9ish personally, but her dilemma feels 9ish. The whole keeping-yourself-pressed-down to keep from causing problems, but your self-repression backfiring by causing problems anyway, and when you finally let all that repressed feeling out it just explodes? At any rate, I can RELATE it to my 9ishness, even if the character herself is not necessarily so.
Type 5 INFJ I would say! She wants to hide way from everything to keep everyone else (and by extension herself) safe. Its a kingdom of isolation and it seems like I'm the queen! definitely something a type 5 would say...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Type 5 INFJ I would say! She wants to hide way from everything to keep everyone else (and by extension herself) safe. Its a kingdom of isolation and it seems like I'm the queen! definitely something a type 5 would say...
5, yeah! That sounds like a good fit. It gives her the withdrawal without the 9ish optimism. Also the "I must master this!" attitude.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
@rockinlibrarian
I thought type 1 for Elsa, personally. Could be wrong, but... the theme of the character seemed so fitting for type 1 to me. Could see an argument for 6 too, but heh. With that said, her dilemma does have some similarity with characters like The Hulk, who I think is pretty archetypically 9.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
@rockinlibrarian
I thought type 1 for Elsa, personally. Could be wrong, but... the theme of the character seemed so fitting for type 1 to me. Could see an argument for 6 too, but heh. With that said, her dilemma does have some similarity with characters like The Hulk, who I think is pretty archetypically 9.
Do you think that in some of the last Marvel cinematic movies that Mark Ruffalo'so portrayal of Bruce Banner is an accurate display of a type 9? Or are you purely examining it from the standpoint of just the comics?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Do you think that in some of the last Marvel cinematic movies that Mark Ruffalo'so portrayal of Bruce Banner is an accurate display of a type 9? Or are you purely examining it from the standpoint of just the comics?
Truth to be told I haven't really read the comic. :unsure: And I might have to rewatch his performance to say if it's that accurate, heh. I also kind of hesitate to type 9 characters in the first place (so I'm thinking more of the trope/archetype... a similar character is Grimmer from Monster, which I finished watching recently, and I certainly think he seems like a 9 at least). Despite considering it for my core, I don't feel entirely confident in my understanding/ability to recognize it.

What do you think?

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Truth to be told I haven't really read the comic. :unsure: And I might have to rewatch his performance to say if it's that accurate, heh. I also kind of hesitate to type 9 characters in the first place (so I'm thinking more of the trope/archetype... a similar character is Grimmer from Monster, which I finished watching recently, and I certainly think he seems like a 9 at least). Despite considering it for my core, I don't feel entirely confident in my understanding/ability to recognize it.

What do you think?
I'm essentially in the same boat as you. I think the overall representation of The Hulk/Bruce Banner dichotomy is type 9. The primis is that he avoids anger to keep from becoming a monster. Most of us 9'should in our earlif years had a negative view of anger. But if you look carefully, the scope of what the story of the Hulk is, is that anger can be a useful tool when used in the right fashion (which was BRILLIANTLY displayed in the first Avengers movie when Bruce says "That's my secret, I'm always angry" then he turns into the Hulk almost voluntarily and stops a huge creature in its tracks)

So the overall scope of the Hulk seems pretty 9-ish to me.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I've seen Harry Potter typed as a 9 before.
Yeah that makes no sense to me whatsoever....

I think he's closest to being a One... he always knows what's right and is incredibly sure of himself. He gets angry really easily. He has a mission in life. He treats everyone really well as a rule, and in general sees the best in people. He breaks rules when he sees a reason for doing so... he answers to a higher authority.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've seen Harry Potter typed as a 9 before.
Yeah that makes no sense to me whatsoever....

I think he's closest to being a One... he always knows what's right and is incredibly sure of himself. He gets angry really easily. He has a mission in life. He treats everyone really well as a rule, and in general sees the best in people. He breaks rules when he sees a reason for doing so... he answers to a higher authority.
I can sort of see where they're coming from-- particularly early on he does have a tendency to just let stuff happen to him and he's so bewildered by being famous and not knowing it. But, nah, he's way too active once he gets the chance, and he talks back to his teachers even when he KNOWS it will cause trouble, and, yeah, basically everything charlie.elliot says. Luna's definitely the token 9 of that universe. MAYBE Lupin, in the abovementioned Hulkish way?

Which, yeah, I love the Hulk theory. I'll totally claim him for a 9. The "I'm always angry" line popped into my head as soon as you mentioned it-- which may not seem 9ish at first glance, but I totally relate to it 9ishly in context.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
@rockinlibrarian
I already mentioned it a bit, but have you seen Monster (anime)? The main character's not a 9, but there's some 9 characters there that the story can focus on.

Which, yeah, I love the Hulk theory. I'll totally claim him for a 9. The "I'm always angry" line popped into my head as soon as you mentioned it-- which may not seem 9ish at first glance, but I totally relate to it 9ishly in context.
Also, when I first watched that scene, that line made like no sense to me, but I guess after learning about type 9 it kinda does.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts