Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that in most classic literature and all that, the heroines are pretty much all INFJs or INFPs, or at least NF. Do you know any fictional female ENTPs? Probably villains hehe but I'd really like to find out if there are any well known ones. (Or just NT heroines in general.)

·
Registered
ENTP
3,551 Posts
I don't know. My best guess is maybe Harley Quinn? I'm trying to think of a non villain female ENTP character, but to be fair there aren't a ton of male ENTP heroes without a dark side either.

I mean, even Tony Stark is a splatter of ENTP mess.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
just got finished watching west world recently, I think the character Elsie could be entp

also in Mr Robot I think the sister Darlene also seems entp

·
Registered
ENTP
3,551 Posts
Fuckin' shit! It just clicked because she is my Queen:

Galadriel is a kind ENTP Goddess. I defy anyone to come up with anyone better than that.

Brains are a strange thing.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Reactions: Haldir

·
Registered
448 Posts
@Haldir
Isn't Harley Quinn an ESFP and not an ENTP? That's what I've seen her typed as anyway. Just curious.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,533 Posts
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, Violet Baudelaire
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daisy ‘Skye’ Johnson
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Disney’s, Princess ‘Kida’ Kidagakash
  • Attack On Titan, Hange Zoë
  • Doctor Who (2005 Series), Missy
  • Doctor Who (2005 Series), River Song
  • Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, Rita Skeeter
  • Midnight in Paris, Gertrude Stein
  • Mulan, Disney’s, Mulan
  • Orange is the New Black, Alex Vause
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Elizabeth Bennet
  • Toy Story Series, Pixar’s, Trixie
  • Tudors, The, Anne Boleyn
  • Twin Peaks, Audrey Horne
  • Samantha Carter - Stargate: SG1
  • Irene Adler - both BBC Sherlock & Rachel mcadams version
  • Maleficent - Once Upon a Time
  • Shirley Feeney - Laverne & Shirley
  • Polly Prince - Along Came Pollya
  • Galadriel - Lord of the Rings

Also, Not the first post in here

Reactions: nynaeva

·
Registered
ENTP
3,551 Posts
@Haldir
Isn't Harley Quinn an ESFP and not an ENTP? That's what I've seen her typed as anyway. Just curious.
I honestly have no idea. I was grasping at straws. I'm sticking with Galadriel as my final answer.

Edit: I think Susannah Dean from The Dark Tower might be ENTP. She makes a sharp intuitive contrast to Roland.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
  • Mulan, Disney’s, Mulan

Gotta fight you on a couple of these.

Mulan...Te/Fi, probably ISTJ.
Elizabeth Bennet is ENFP...although I've only seen the Kiera Knightly one.
Galadriel - INFJ

I don't know enough about the rest of the characters, but the ones you listed, that I do know, I don't see as ENTP. Thus, I must commit a fallacy and conclude all of yours are wrong.

·
Beer Guardian
15,533 Posts
Gotta fight you on a couple of these.

Mulan...Te/Fi, probably ISTJ.
Elizabeth Bennet is ENFP...although I've only seen the Kiera Knightly one.
Galadriel - INFJ

I don't know enough about the rest of the characters, but the ones you listed, that I do know, I don't see as ENTP. Thus, I must commit a fallacy and conclude all of yours are wrong.

I just collected a list of characters from Google.

Mulan:
Dominant Function, Extraverted iNtuition, Ne: Everyone uses Extraverted Intuition as a tool to get the gist of a whole situation from a few details, but ENPs, like Mulan, are most comfortable with this tool and it helps form who they are. Extraverted Intuition grasps the whole picture from very little information and fills in the blanks. It takes leaps that other types, non-Ne types, are unwilling to make. We can see this behaviorally in Mulan in a couple of different ways in the film. From the start we see the negative aspects of this form of thinking in her preparation or lack of preparation for her meeting with the matchmaker. She assumes she grasps the idea of what she has to do, but the details of the Se and Si variety allude her. The meeting was set up for her to regurgitate information that she was supposed to memorize. She is uncomfortable with this form of learning and thinking. She is uncomfortable with dealing with Se physical details. Her Ne is so bored by such thought processes that she doesn’t prioritize studying for the matchmaking meeting. She finds such details and minutia of matchmaking dull and has quickly moved on to other thoughts and ideas.

Her inability to be knowledgeable in this specific form doesn’t make her unintelligent and this is shown and contrasted by the positive sides of her Ne in the very beginning when she is getting up the morning and ready for the day of her matchmaking. She may not be able to apply herself to that form of study, but we see her Ne innovation in the way she decides to more efficiently feed the chickens with the least amount of actual work on her end. Her Ne helps her see possibilities and potentials that others don’t see. She finds new inventive ways to go about day-to-day activities. We see her mind is wasted on the matchmaking stuff when she is able to innovate and invent. Her mind isn’t suited for the female societal role being pushed on her, especially since Fe is not dominant or auxiliary for her use, which would prioritize one’s role in a society. (Not a mindless drone, but more able to adapt in some way. At the very least want a place in the society/cultural. Be attracted to culture more than Mulan is.)

Her Ne talents that see potential cannot reach their full potential where she is in her life. Her mind doesn’t work in cultural frameworks that are imposed on her. She sees things differently from others and wants to see what else the world has to offer her. She looks externally with her intuition not internally which would be Ni (some mistype her as INFJ). She thirsts for new experiences, she doesn’t live in her own mental world like an Ni dominant. She thirsts to explore new ideas and potentials outside of herself, which leaving the home finally gives her.

In her new life as a warrior, pretending to be male, she gets to have new experiences implementing her Ne abilities. She is innovative in her fighting tactics. She doesn’t do what is expected and she doesn’t follow orders. Her Ne that sees the big picture from assessing the situation quickly and getting just a few details comes in handy and helps her become the warrior all the soldiers come to admire. When they were being attacked in the mountains she doesn’t fight in the usual way. She was able to assess the surroundings and the whole situation. She aimed the cannon not at Shan Yu but at the mountain. This helped take down most of the army…temporarily. Her outside of the box thinking is what helps her defeat Shan Yu at the very end and what makes her the hero we all love and know.

Auxiliary Function, Introverted Thinking, Ti
: Mulan is not typically seen as an ENTP because many stereotype ENTPs based on being unhealthy and not fully utilizing their secondary function of Introverted Thinking. The ENTPs with a lack of self reflection are what people typically have in mind when they think ENTP. This stereotype is based on a truth, but not the whole truth of what makes an ENTP. Unlike these stereotypes we all have in mind of the ENTP who is bored, moves from thing to thing, leaving a trail of unfinished business, with no sense of personal responsibility, Mulan has a good head on her shoulders and really uses Ti in a helpful and constructive way.

Her Ne can lead her to situations that are unresolved, like that of Shan Yu still being alive. But her Ti makes her feel a personal responsibility to the situation that she has created, which is a way for Shan Yu and his army to sneak in and get close to the emperor. Although she has saved people, she still created the situation that unfolds at the end of the film. She isn’t okay with just telling others, but feels that personal responsibility to take care of it and to undo what she has unleashed on China.

Ti has other facets including what gives Mulan her strategic abilities to take action in a certain situation. Ti works when Mulan is taking action, nor sitting and day dreaming. When she is in the battlefield she uses it to implement her outside thinking and adjust in a given situation.

Ti also enables her to have inner control and give her that self-discipline. When she first arrives as Chang in the military she hasn’t really thought her whole plan through. She is sloppy, not just in play acting. She has the idea to take her father’s place, but what to do in the follow through/implementation of it was to be dealt with later. When she is actually in the situation of being Chang she uses Ti to adapt to it and to self reflect more.

Shang challenges her and makes her take her new role as Chang more seriously. She enacts the Ti form of self-discipline and becomes faster, stronger, and smarter than the other soldiers. Her Ne-Ti gives her a sense of competition, of challenge. We see a Mulan who is more comfortable in her own skin as she has the opportunity to implement her actual skills and abilities we saw in her feeding of the chickens at the beginning. She is no longer confined by her role as a woman, but can be who she really is without dealing with that female social/cultural expectation.

When she is allowed to be a woman and herself at the end of the film we see that she finally sees who she really is on the outside and inside. She no longer is being suffocated by a role being enforced on her. She isn’t a male warrior or wife. She has female clothes on by the end, but they aren’t as fanciful and she doesn’t have make-up on. We get the true, comfortable ENTP Mulan.

Tertiary Function, Extraverted Feeling, Fe:
Tertiary Fe works in a very specific way for ENTPs. We see this most in the expectations others have on her. Her Ti makes her more independent and less reliant on a need for approval from others. Her Fe being lower in her stack makes her uncomfortable with such things as approval and expectations. She finds such things to be emotionally manipulative and trying to control her.

She left her home to be Chang in order to save her father from a tragic fate, but part of it was also a defiance of her father’s expectations of her and of what society dictates her place in society should be. She didn’t let her father’s or anyone else’s wishes dictate her actions. She doesn’t try to find a way within the system to change it, but she directly defies it. She becomes a warrior, she doesn’t fight like everyone else, and she refuses to be whatever definition of her you have.

Inferior Function, Introverted Sensing, Si:
As an inferior function Mulan is uncomfortable with Si and hates it, but also doesn’t realize how much it dictates her actions, motivations, and goals in life. Si consults the past (not nostalgia or dealing with the past), it consults with past precedent to figure out what works. Mulan is uncomfortable with this as it challenges her dominant Ne that looks for the new, the untried, the unknown, the potentials in the world. She defies the proven, the way her father wanted to do things. She is defying tradition. That is how she fights it and is uncomfortable with it.

It also motivates and dictates her behaviors though, as mentioned. She looks for something to stabilize her, something unconditional in life. It is why she is so self-reflective in the song “Reflection.” She is striving, thirsting for something concrete in herself, something that defines who she is. She doesn’t want others (Fe) to tell her who she is, but she does want to find out who she is (Si) in a concrete way. She doesn’t enjoy the turmoil that her Ne causes in her; her conflict with how society functions and how she functions. She wants to find who she unconditionally is, outside of the world around her.

Elizabeth Bennet - Pride and Prejudice

I find that people typing Elizabeth as INFJ happens a lot for the same reasons we see Jane Eyre typed as INFP. A lot of people who mistype as these love these characters and want them to reflect their own type because of this strong relation to them. This deep connection shouldn’t have any eyes rolling at it. Many women feel a strong connection to these characters for good reason due to how they address life as a women in a patriarchal system. It is good that people identify with such stand out woman. But relating in this manner doesn’t make them the same type. Nor does triter attributes like she likes reading just like me!

Elizabeth does not face inward with Ni, but outward with Ne. She feels out of sorts with society because she lacks high Fe (secondary to an INFJ) and therefore doesn’t possess typical and expected feminine qualities of the time. It is not due to Ni distance, looking at reality an arm’s length away. Elizabeth views things differently, but she isn’t disembodied in the dominant Ni form. Her Ne makes her fully participate in the world and quite reactionary. It is what makes her a bit more rash and jump to conclusions about Darcy and other situations.

Her tertiary Fe makes her interested in observing people and social situations. Combined with her Ti doubts of society and Ti skepticism we see how she is so witty and snarky to those around her. She doesn’t really think before she talks and can come off as blunt and out of her “place.” These are all a combination of ENTP functions, not INFJ. Elizabeth lacks INFJ diplomacy with others.

Her Ti makes her Ne focused on systems, including the romantic ones. It is why she isn’t typical and not fond of the traditional idea of marriage. She finds falseness in the romanticism her sisters try and embody. This is not only very ENTP, but also very un-INFJ. INFJs can be critical of such things (especially once they are disenchanted and find a lack of authenticity in such things), but INFJs are probably the most Romantic type as the same time and that shouldn’t be forgotten. They are far more whimsical you could say, than their ENTP counter part.

Her Ti also makes her competitive and what probably attracts her to Darcy. He is stubborn, smart, and challenges her intellectually. This challenge is really what sparks their romance. Her tertiary Fe also leads her to need approval of her intellect and is why she is so put off by Darcy at first, and again feels challenged to prove him wrong.

Her inferior function is also why she is so put off by marriage and making up her mind. Her Si demands that she find something stable in her life, something concrete. But this conflicts with her Ne need for potential. If she actually settles down she feels she loses her sense of freedom to do as she wishes independently. She doesn’t want to lose herself in the system of marriage and lose her potential. With Darcy she learns she can have both and her Ne-Si don’t have to tug at one another; she can have her cake and eat it to.

As to why INFJ and ENTP relate and can get conflated

This is something I have struggled with as well. I relate so much to Lisa Simpson and wanted her to be an ENTP. But deconstructing the character indicates how much of a freaking INFJ she is and how although I relate to her, I don’t perceive and judge the world the same way she does.

But we both know this happens, but why? I can’t tell you for sure to be honest. But they have stark differences that become apparent when we properly deconstruct a character, rather than view them in general terms. It is important when typing to not think, you they are organized so they are a J type or this character babbles they must be an E. How does a character/person perceive and judge the world? Which do they do first? I love Lisa’s sarcasm, but where does her sarcasm come from? My Ne-Ti makes me much more participatory in the world and leads me to reflect on what I did rather than what I am going to do. INFJ is the latter.

I guess my theory is when we look at characters generally we can conflate most types together. General terms can be dangerous in MBTI and to truly understand types, ourselves, and typing characters we musn’t hesitate to deconstruct. Even if it means characters we hold dear are not our type. In the facebook describe yourself in three characters only one shared my type. THAT IS OKAY! Just because a character does or doesn’t share your type shouldn’t mean you should either relate or not relate to them.

I can't argue with Gladriel. She was a last-minute grab.

Reactions: Parrot

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Whatever, don't want to argue about these characters haha

·
Registered
448 Posts
I honestly have no idea. I was grasping at straws. I'm sticking with Galadriel as my final answer.

Edit: I think Susannah Dean from The Dark Tower might be ENTP. She makes a sharp intuitive contrast to Roland.
Yeah, maybe. She's obviously an N anyway.
P.S.: Oh, I get your profile picture now, that's funny because I've seen this image before and still didn't make the connection. x)

·
Beer Guardian
15,533 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP
3,551 Posts
P.S.: Oh, I get your profile picture now, that's funny because I've seen this image before and still didn't make the connection. x)
Yeah, I'd put Jake Chambers first in my estimation, but hey, he's not female so disallowed by rule of topic law.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
  • Mulan, Disney’s, Mulan

I think several of those females that are "hellraiser" types are not ENTPs. In Doctor Who, the Master/Missy likes to see chaos but is so Fi-driven and by far is not ruled by an extroverted function like Ne. Everything he/she does is for personal reasons or gain (until the last episode) even if it is just the personal satisfaction of F-ing things up for the Doctor. The Doctor is very obviously an ENTP by comparison. Although some versions of him have been more "feeling" than others, you clearly see Ne as his first function with Ti right behind no matter who plays him. His motivation to poke around a new place where danger is affecting people is not to save them but to experience a new thing and have a new problem to solve. Saving the people is more of an after thought most of the time. The Doctor though does not appear to be motivated by this own feelings and often needs his more feeling companions to help him tap into his Fe. River I think is an ESTP. She is all action and leap before you look. Especially when she was Melody or an earlier version of River (Let's Kill Hitler). She calmed down as she aged, but actually that is very accurate to most P-types which the writers did a good job of showing.

Daisy (Quake) I think is an INxP not ENTP. She is a Thinker first and not an extrovert. She's a loner-type but seems to have Fe as her feeling function.

Irene Adler. Hmm. I think maybe the film version she possibly could be (although I would have to see it again to verify-it's been a while) but I think the BBC TV show version she is definitely an ExTJ. She is a controller and a Thinker. She likes to have the power and she likes to control people around her and her own situations (even to the point of being a dominatrix). She always needs the upper hand. I think that is why Sherlock is almost beyond his depths with her because he too likes to have the upper hand and she is often was above him. Although TV Sherlock (who I think is an INTJ) is like a stereotypical INTJ, in that he does not need to control people like an ENTJ but has to feel like he is the smartest in the room and the others can't match his mind (she does and that is why she is so enticing).

My issue with most "villains" that get typed ENTP is that people see chaos and assume Ne. However, most of those types usually are motivated by their own self-centered feelings (Joker is probably the biggest exception).

I think of that list the best example in female ENTP is Mulan. She is definitely an ENTP.

I think Laura Ingalls of the books and the TV show "Little House on the Prairie" was an ENTP. I am not sure if Laura Ingalls Wilder in real life was an ENTP or that she wrote herself that way. I also think Ramona Quimby (from the Beverly Cleary books) was an ENTP. She is described as having an overactive imagination, loud, extroverted, not very girlie, curious, and getting into trouble a lot because of her curiosity. This is in contrast to her very obviously ISTJ older sister Beatrice (Beezus). Growing up, I always could identify with both Laura and Ramona.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,551 Posts
Spoiler alert: Yes, that is Roland approaching The Dark Tower.

Susannah hit her Fe really hard before she left, but had the wherewithal to send Patrick to the the Tower with Roland. Her character evolved, but by the end she was ENTP in my eyes. Others can disagree, but I still think so, can you kennit?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Spoiler alert: Yes, that is Roland approaching The Dark Tower.

Susannah hit her Fe really hard before she left, but had the wherewithal to send Patrick to the the Tower with Roland. Her character evolved, but by the end she was ENTP in my eyes. Others can disagree, but I still think so, can you kennit?
It's way too far back in my memories for me to disagree. I read this series like 4-5 years ago. Good books though.

·
Beer Guardian
15,533 Posts
I think several of those females that are "hellraiser" types are not ENTPs. In Doctor Who, the Master/Missy likes to see chaos but is so Fi-driven and by far is not ruled by an extroverted function like Ne. Everything he/she does is for personal reasons or gain (until the last episode) even if it is just the personal satisfaction of F-ing things up for the Doctor. The Doctor is very obviously an ENTP by comparison. Although some versions of him have been more "feeling" than others, you clearly see Ne as his first function with Ti right behind no matter who plays him. His motivation to poke around a new place where danger is affecting people is not to save them but to experience a new thing and have a new problem to solve. Saving the people is more of an after thought most of the time. The Doctor though does not appear to be motivated by this own feelings and often needs his more feeling companions to help him tap into his Fe. River I think is an ESTP. She is all action and leap before you look. Especially when she was Melody or an earlier version of River (Let's Kill Hitler). She calmed down as she aged, but actually that is very accurate to most P-types which the writers did a good job of showing.

Daisy (Quake) I think is an INxP not ENTP. She is a Thinker first and not an extrovert. She's a loner-type but seems to have Fe as her feeling function.

Irene Adler. Hmm. I think maybe the film version she possibly could be (although I would have to see it again to verify-it's been a while) but I think the BBC TV show version she is definitely an ExTJ. She is a controller and a Thinker. She likes to have the power and she likes to control people around her and her own situations (even to the point of being a dominatrix). She always needs the upper hand. I think that is why Sherlock is almost beyond his depths with her because he too likes to have the upper hand and she is often was above him. Although TV Sherlock (who I think is an INTJ) is like a stereotypical INTJ, in that he does not need to control people like an ENTJ but has to feel like he is the smartest in the room and the others can't match his mind (she does and that is why she is so enticing).

My issue with most "villains" that get typed ENTP is that people see chaos and assume Ne. However, most of those types usually are motivated by their own self-centered feelings (Joker is probably the biggest exception).

I think of that list the best example in female ENTP is Mulan. She is definitely an ENTP.

I think Laura Ingalls of the books and the TV show "Little House on the Prairie" was an ENTP. I am not sure if Laura Ingalls Wilder in real life was an ENTP or that she wrote herself that way. I also think Ramona Quimby (from the Beverly Cleary books) was an ENTP. She is described as having an overactive imagination, loud, extroverted, not very girlie, curious, and getting into trouble a lot because of her curiosity. This is in contrast to her very obviously ISTJ older sister Beatrice (Beezus). Growing up, I always could identify with both Laura and Ramona.
Well, I did just do a sort blanket survey of what was out there on the Web, but your reasoning seems sound.

Missy/Master does seem a lot more cranky than most ENTPs I know. She can't decide whether she hates the Doctor, or loves him. She goes to both extremes, but there does not seem to be any middle ground with her, so probably not an ENTP.

Irene Adler in the movies is definitely more ENTPish. She's more mischievous and always just a little bit in over her head than she realizes, usually why Sherlock has to step in and keep her out of trouble (until Moriarty dispatches her). As for the BBC Sherlock Adler, A lot of times the dominatrix looks like they are in control, but it is the submissive who really has all the power, it is a strange dynamic that I don't fully understand. Note she decides to wear her "armor" with Sherlock when they first meet because it completely befuddles his ability to use his well-honed senses against her. Of course, he lets her think that she's got him confused on more than one occasion, but he is doing it on purpose.

Your insights are most welcome. I would very much like to know how a female ENTP mind works in comparison to my own. It intrigues me greatly.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
@tanstaafl28 Irene on the show was blackmailing to manipulate people. She wanted to be in control of things that she could hold over people's heads. If we want someone to do something for us, blackmail would not be the route I think ENTPs would take. If we choose to be devious and get people to do what we want, we would prefer to make people think they are doing something voluntarily when we actually are manipulating the situation into making them decide to do what we want. I find I do this, which drive my husband crazy. I would never think to blackmail people. I still think ENTJ for her.

At least from my perspective, the person who most nails it on the head on how I as an ENTP female tend to think is Amy Poehler. Do not confuse her with Leslie Knope who I am guessing is an ENFJ. In her book (and even better her audiobook) "Yes Please!", I could not believe how much I could relate. Like me, it is obvious she is a thinker, based on her crass sense of humor (and anything goes), the description Tina Fey gives of her, and her general comments. She is also definitely an extroverted perceiver. She talked about procrastinating, her general laziness, enthusiasm for the random, and bouncing ideas (you can see how she gets more energized as she feeds off other people-in what looks like Ne). Even her book was not chronological but like she organized random thoughts into chapters. In contrast, Tina Fey's book "Bossy Pants" was very chronological and organized. Tina seems like an ISTJ from that book based on my experience with my very good female friend who is an ISTJ and people who have met her. Also, like me, I also think Amy has a pretty well developed Fe and she also is short and "cute" (not beautiful) which sometimes has people thinking you are a Pollyanna.

I don't think ENTP females in general think differently than male ones but I do think biologically, we tend to have better developed Fe (to make us take care of offspring) which corresponds to being a little less asshole-ish IRL than our male counterparts. Even male primarily Fe-users or feelers tend to not be as good at using it as most females, Thinker or Feeler. I do think Thinking females apply their Fe differently though. I am very aware of my children's emotional well being (Fe) and actually stress out about making sure I satisfy this often (probably my Ti). I will do things knowing that is what they need for emotional support in a very logical way, not because I am naturally soft and emotional about them but because it needs to happen (if that makes any sense). The male ENTPs I know (and even my ENFP boss) seems complete oblivious to their kids emotional needs most of the time. There are exceptions in either case, meaning their are females who are awful at reading emotion and there are guys that are good at it, but I think that is an exception more than a rule. I will say, that I am less Fe aware with people who are not my kids or very close to me, or at least I don't feel the need to emotionally help them. Mainly because I don't feel like it is my job to keep their emotional needs met and it kind of exhausts me. In other words, my co-worker that I don't hang out with outside of work that is going through some family drama wants to cry on my shoulder, I will try to get out of it as much as I can. While feeling women I have noticed, will feel bad for them and want to help.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts