Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good day :)

I am utterly interested in psychology and fascinated by psychotic disorders/personality disorders etc. I watch a lot of different TV-shows and like to check up their MBTI/enneagram-type. It is always funny to see if I can compare my personality type against a character I feel "connected" with, I haven't looked into all of the different types yet so I like to read what other people think.

The point of this thread is to discuss/type/analyze psychotic people from TV-shows/movies.

Pick a fictional character you like with psychotic signs/super unhealty and answer these question: What makes the person you talk about psychotic, which enneagram/MBTI-type (both is a plus!) and your personal opinion of why this character is the way she/he is.

I hope someone finds this thread a little bit interested. I would really like to hear what you guys think and share thoughts. Yay! Lets have fun. :)

Best Regards,
Impozation // Type 2/ENFJ.

·
Registered
ENFP 3w2
322 Posts
I'm in love with the Hannibal series. It's a story of a wealthy boy whom grew up in Europe during WWII and lost his parents to invading Germans. He was then imprisoned by bandits with his little sister during the winter. The bandits began to starve and ate the sister while force feeding her to Hannibal. Hannibal escaped and grew up fascinated by medicine - and studied to become a surgeon. But filled with revenge, Hannibal hunted down the bandits and ate their bodies. The lust and feeling of power and control exhilarated him so much that he continued killing and eating hundreds of people whom he thought unfit to live.

Hannibal Lecter (surgeon/serial killer/cannibal/psychologist) - INTJ a.k.a the intelligent psychopath.

I find TJ's generally have a superiority complex. They find most other individuals as inferior to them so it is easier for them to see others as animals rather than equal beings. This is probably the reason why Hannibal became a surgeon because he enjoys the ego boost from the power he gets by playing God. Also, psychopaths almost always need to be introverted. They become so isolated from society that they forget what acceptable behavior really is. Thus Hannibal became so absorbed by the obsession of power that he forgot killing people and using their meat to cook culinary dishes is WRONG. lol

I'm also guessing his Enneagram is 8w7 as 8's are super controlling and 7's are super cautious. Hannibal loves to play god, yet is so cautious that he never gets caught.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,004 Posts
Hannibal Lector is an ENFJ, not INTJ.

He's incredibly emotionally intelligent, knows what others are feeling instinctively, it's not just his research.

He has an admiration for beautiful things, art, music, good food. He's an artist.

He's very manipulative, and I don't see any INTJ's who can read people in this way.

Not all Fe's are empathetic. A good example - Milesandre from GOT. xNFJ - Manipulates. Emotionally intelligent.

Emotional intelligent is quite often far more important than IQ.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hans from Frozen : ENFJ
Hannibal : Well , it depends on the adaptation . In Silence of the lambs I would say he is INTJ.
Ladd Russo : ESTP
Dexter Morgan : ISTP

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hans from Frozen : ENFJ
Hannibal : Well , it depends on the adaptation . In Silence of the lambs I would say he is INTJ.
Ladd Russo : ESTP
Dexter Morgan : ISTP

Hannibal is easily my favourite show atm. I was actually looking at this very thing last night. This guys blog reckons both Will Graham and Hannibal are INFJs. He also mentions that Hannibal in the tv show is slightly different to the one from the books/movies.

I agree 100% with him on Graham, but I'm still not sure about Hannibal. Will searches for meaning and to understand himself. Hannibal understands himself completely. He also has the ability to rationalise almost anything. Is this an INFJ trait?

Edit: ah shit, I just realised I cant post the link as I dont have enough posts yet. Look up funkymbtifiction/hannibal if interested.

·
Registered
ENFP 3w2
322 Posts
Hannibal Lector is an ENFJ, not INTJ.

He's incredibly emotionally intelligent, knows what others are feeling instinctively, it's not just his research.

He has an admiration for beautiful things, art, music, good food. He's an artist.

He's very manipulative, and I don't see any INTJ's who can read people in this way.

Not all Fe's are empathetic. A good example - Milesandre from GOT. xNFJ - Manipulates. Emotionally intelligent.

Emotional intelligent is quite often far more important than IQ.
I read that lengthy tumblr post of a guy expressing how Hannibal is ENFJ even though it's been widely accepted for Hannibal to be INTJ for the past 30 years. I see your and his points, but I know for sure Hannibal cannot be ENFJ.

First off Hannibal is not an extrovert at all. He is generally more reserved. He only chooses to socialize to meet his own needs, not because he enjoys the company of others. He’s lived alone most of his life and does not have any close friends. Anybody who gets too close to him, he gets rid of by either killing or ditching them. ENFJs are really good people oriented types. They love the company of others and are constantly around people. The ENFJs that I know practically live to serve other’s needs and to make people around them happy. Just like Milesandre to Stannis and literally everyone else she manipulates (aka having sexy time with them and giving them huge compliments/ego boosters).

Next off, an intellectual on the level of Hannibal must require thinking as their primary or secondary function. ENFJs are worst in their thinking function – I found all the types with low functions in thinking to be airheaded or disinterested in education/theory. Milesandre is a huge advocate of black magic, faith, and a god that sets people on fire - all which are not logic based at all. On the other hand, Hannibal is a huge advocate of theory and refined aesthetics – all which require a strong sense of thinking/intellect. Remember the scene where Hannibal and his stalker patient met up at the Vide Cor Meum Opera? Hannibal and the patient's friend Tobias were both highly intellectual beings - they were true advocates of the Opera/fine arts. Hannibal's patient Franklyn however was a complete buffoon that got himself killed. Franklyn didn't enjoy the fine arts, but only attended because he knew Hannibal was going. This shows a big difference between the rational thinkers vs. the illogical feelers.

Also yes Hannibal is manipulative/emotionally intelligent - which means he’s extremely good at reading people. You are right in the fact that INTJs aren’t really good at detecting emotions.
So how come Hannibal is INTJ and still emotionally intelligent?

It's due to his research – INTJs are geniuses in using logic to figure out things. Hannibal’s research IS figuring out the emotions of people – he’s a psychologist/surgeon after all. He’s spent his entire life trying to figure out how people work. A person that’s naturally emotionally intelligent (Extraverted Feelers/Sensors) would already know how people feel and would not have the need to do any extra research. If you watched or read about Hannibal’s childhood/early adult years you will find that he would behave really weird/awkward in social settings. He was stubborn as a mule and would often resort to violence if he disagreed with others. It wasn’t until Hannibal conducted research by toying with his victims did he become more refined in his expertise on emotional intelligence.

This is also why, in the series, Hannibal complains when he has not killed for a while because he feels like he’s losing touch of people’s emotions/how others think. He often rejuvenates his emotional intellect only through mass killings and subsequently holding a banquet at his home. On the other spectrum, Milesandre manipulates people because it comes natural to her – she’s really good with people and enjoys being around others. Therefore she doesn’t manipulate people to satiate her thirst for emotional intelligence but rather because that’s the only advantageous thing she knows how to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts