Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the fields of study/subject/topic in which you consider yourself to be extremely knowledgeable?

I can't consider myself to have an in-depth knowledge of any particular subject. I believe I have a good knowledge about a very wide spectrum of subjects, but none enough to consider my knowledge enough to draw upon in say a debate with someone who has studied that subject in any official capacity. I wouldn't even say that I have a very in-depth knowledge of the subject that I'm currently studying.
I feel like a jack-of-all-trades, or the very model of a modern major general, but less so, and it makes me feel depressed.

So:

Do you also feel like there is no field in which you can consider yourself an expert? Do you think this is a common occurrence among INTPs? If you do have a field of study in which you consider ourself to be quite knowledgable, what is it? And, as a secondary question, what are the unusual fields of study/subjects/topics that you are interested in and have a relatively good knowledge of?

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Dunno. I'd say stuff like poly sci, science and fine literature on occasion,but that's because those are the things I like to talk about most.

Reactions: Wolfrahm

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, I've always had some trouble sustaining interest in a topic after discovering or figuring out all of its intricacies. However, I do have an extensive amount of knowledge regarding entomology and psychology.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Mathematics as it were, but I lost interest after failing to understand a particular passage in a particular book. At least, that was the beginning of the end; from there my confidence decayed leaving a sort of soil of ennui from which my later interests grew.

I consider myself more knowledgable than average of the things that interest me, but never an expert, as expertise to me implies a laboring away beyond any discernible purpose relating to the field itself. I don't find myself the loyal pursuant of something without therefore making myself a slave to some sort of extraneous motive; and even then my ends conclude always with only mild curiosity. So at bottom I'm not one to become an expert.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Ever consider studying biology?

I think INTPs would excel in bio..

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would think that there are few people that know so much. Most people know what they need to live, a bit more for their job, and whatever they happen to pick up on the way. If one of those things happens to require an extremely large amount of knowledge in a particular subject, you could say they know a lot. But most people... yeah, no.

I don't know much of anything. I know music and math and psychology and poetry, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert unless I had studied them very deeply for many years, and that sure as hell hasn't happened.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Philosophy(specifically metaphysics/epistemology.) and computer security probably.

Well, I'm nowhere near an expert in either, but I am certainly well above the average person.

Call me Dunning-Kruger if you have to.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ever consider studying biology?

I think INTPs would excel in bio..
Me, no. It seems like it requires a serious amount of rote memorization more so than an intuitive understanding, and I have neither the mind or the inclination to do so.

But I do find certain aspects of biology interesting, such as astrobiology, microbiology and cryobiology.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm currently studying Information Technology in college. Despite my classmates telling me I'm "good with computers", I do think that I still lack knowledge about everything that is to learn about the lot. Psychology, forensics and film making are the two subjects I'm interested in.

In my opinion, the thing about us INTPs are we are so curious that we're not satisfied with just knowing. We want to learn everything that interests us. Nothing satisfies us, so to speak.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I am no expert in anything. In subjects like mathematics, physics, biology, classical music and philosophy I am fairly knowledgeable, definitely above average. I guess I could become an expert in any of these subjects. Though, in most cases this simply means learning the details, which does not intrigue me per se, for reasons JPS already listed. @JPS I have made a similar experience with mathematics, When I couldn't grasp instantaneously how for instance linear transformation could be displayed as matrices (well the multiplication of a vector and a matrix: Ax) I didn't approach the subjects for almost 2 months. Where did you struggle? Perhaps someone here can try to explain to you.

·
Banned
402 Posts
What are the fields of study/subject/topic in which you consider yourself to be extremely knowledgeable?

I can't consider myself to have an in-depth knowledge of any particular subject. I believe I have a good knowledge about a very wide spectrum of subjects, but none enough to consider my knowledge enough to draw upon in say a debate with someone who has studied that subject in any official capacity. I wouldn't even say that I have a very in-depth knowledge of the subject that I'm currently studying.
I feel like a jack-of-all-trades, or the very model of a modern major general, but less so, and it makes me feel depressed.

So:

Do you also feel like there is no field in which you can consider yourself an expert? Do you think this is a common occurrence among INTPs? If you do have a field of study in which you consider ourself to be quite knowledgable, what is it? And, as a secondary question, what are the unusual fields of study/subjects/topics that you are interested in and have a relatively good knowledge of?
I'm 18 and a human: how can I call myself an expert at anything. I'm a two-bit moron who's a little smarter than the average fellow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm certainly, not an expert in any subject, although I hope to be eventually. That being said I'm pretty knowledgeable in a decent amount different subjects. I majored in microbiology, with a minor in anthropology. I like biochemistry, evolutionary biology, medicine, and ecology (most fields in biology really). I like history, especially ancient history, but I wouldn't even call myself knowledgeable in that subject. I'm going to keep learning as much as I can, because the more you learn the more the world seems to make sense and it makes understanding other concepts easier. I think expert is something to aspire to, rather than a destination you just arrive at one day. True experts in their field are never content to stop learning.
Like Socrates and the Dunning-Kruger effect tell us, the more you actually know, the more you realize that you don't really know much of anything.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know a fair amount about a lot of things, but consider myself an expert in only a few:

Computer/cell phone hardware and software, but not coding - I can write some simple programs but I'm a novice at it.

Science Fiction - I've read thousands of books and have a fair basis for criticism and comparison.

Cars - I can rebuild most anything in an import without a manual, and can probably figure out most domestic vehicles as well. I'm a hypermiler and have a fair amount of knowledge about combustion efficiency and aerodynamics as well, though I'm not nearly an expert in those areas.

Coffee - I worked as a barista for a few years and have done much reading and experimentation. I can usually pick out where a bean was grown from its taste or smell unless it's been roasted to hell.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
My field of study is physics, I'm quite early into it but I'm already becoming increasingly aware of the fact that I can't talk about my interests with other people because they mostly won't understand without me having to go to great lengths to explain everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm good at computing.

These are so many things I'd like to do but either can't muster up the motivation for or just don't think it'd work out. I'd love to play piano but I don't have a piano and I share my house with others at the moment...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mostly programming because that's what I do

Other interests I study myself:
-design of graphics (for various things - sites, games, charts, etc.)
-business models/strategies
-economics (like to study successful policies for economic growth and meeting social concerns)

Almost everything else is just a smattering - hours of reading or self study but no dedicated effort or goals or real affiliation with the subject

1 - 20 of 22 Posts