Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The characters of Fight Club and their personality type:

The Narrator - IxFJ (I lean toward INFJ, but some arguments for ISFJ make sense)
Tyler Durden - ENTP
Marla Singer - xxFP (I've read INFP on different sights but she definitely didn't initially hit me like other fictional INFPs, such as Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye or Tom Hansen from (500) Days of Summer - still totally possible.)

These are just ones that play crucial roles in the movie - other characters, like Bob, could be done to. Anyway, what are you guys thinking?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Narrator : IxFJ.

He spends a lot of time in his head jugding the society around him. He wants to change the world, but since he's unable of that, he creates an alter ego. I would said an unhealthy INFJ, but it's difficult assigning a personality type, since he suffers of a personality disorder.

Tyler Durden: ESTJ.

The complete opposite of the real Tyler, he's not afraid of doing anything, he follows psysical impulses (Se), but his still able of planning ahead and he surely tries to influence other with his beliefs ( Te)

Marla Singer: xSFP.

Liberal and she follows her own beliefs. Needs pysical interaction as well...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Tyler Durden is probably ESTP (strong Se user).

Reactions: Pinina

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got to argue that Tyler is an ENTP, because he has a vision of what Project Mayhem is and should be. He's their leader. I was thinking that since Tyler is the opposite of The Narrator, this, by default, makes him ISFJ.

In defense of Tyler's type - I'd like to list off some traits from Similar Minds about ENTP's:
"risk taker," "rule breaker," "thrill seeker," "talented at presentation," "aggressive," "adaptable," "dangerous," "fearless," "careless," "wild and crazy," "dominant," "not into organised religion".

And in the favoured careers, you will find: dictator, philosopher, and strategist among others.

I'm willing to believe The Narrator is an ISFJ if this means Tyler is an ENTP.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I haven't seen it but 99% of online typing sites say that Tyler Durden is a strong ENTP.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Tyler Durden: ENTP
Narrator: INFJ
Marla: INFP - 4 Sx

Good movie, at this moment my fifth favourite movie all time after 2001: A Space Odyssey, City of God, Drive & The Guest. Followed by Taxi Driver, Bin-Jip (3-Iron), A Man Escaped, Spring Breakers, Alien, Elephant, Fucking Amal, Only God Forgives & Lilya 4-Ever

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
I find it hysterical so many thought Tyler Durden was ENTP

Narrator INFJ
Tyler Durden ESTP

Actually a great example of shadow/duality (whichever, you know what I am driving at or mean)

·
Registered
411 Posts
ISFJ fits the narrator well as does INFP for Marla.

But Tyler definitely seems ESTP instead of ENTP- in movies I think people mix the two up a lot. Tyler loves action, wearing flashy clothes and he's a very physically-assertive person. He does have a vision for Project Mayhem but it's more Ni than Ne. Ne visions are divergent in nature, Ni is convergent. If he were ENTP he would dabble into a bunch of ideas without focusing on one ultimate goal. He would be kinda like Sterling Archer lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts