Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had an interview for a promotion at work. I was aware I would have to feign passion and interest for the drearier aspects of the job; mainly figures, hitting targets, and selling people crap they don't really want.
About a quarter of the way through the interview it became apparent that this wasn't really an open, honest and informal discussion. It was one person asking another person purposefully misleading questions that could be flipped and refracted to suit the whim of the interviewer. Although I understand it's important to weed out those who are not going to take their position seriously, it seemed the whole experience was one long test to see how effectively I could lie.
No matter what I do, I cannot play these sorts of games. I feel compelled to reject this unspoken sort of falseness. Even if I know it's for my own good; my mouth will say what has to be said, but my expression, body language and thoughts says the complete opposite.
I was asked:
"Where do you see yourself in the company 5 years from now?"
Hopefully not working for soulless bastards like you. But of course the correct answer is:
"I would like to work my way up into a higher management role."

"Where do you see your career in retail in 40 years time?"
What kind of moron would spend the brief life they have working in some god-awful bloated pyramid scheme. I would rather have nothing material to show at the end of my life than contemplate spending 40 years working 9 to 5 with people who have the "my hands are tied" or "I would if I could" mentality.
Where is my place?
Where can I be trusted to lead a life free from bullshit?

I don't know how I can win these sorts of games; do I lie and not be truthful. Or do I tell the utter truth and not fit in?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i think it depends on your circumstances. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Sorry for the cliche.
For interviews specifically, lie to make yourself sound like you're the perfect candidate if you want the job. I think the interviewers generally aren't looking for honesty, but for someone that can bullshit their way to getting the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then the interview only serves to highlight your lack of personal substance. Anyone can lie, most companies seem only to employ people who'll do exactly as their told.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This gets me into a lot of trouble as well. Thinking about being in an office or other stereotypical 9 to 5 for the rest of my life literally HAUNTS my dreams. I'm not sure where to go to find something different but I know it's definitely not in the business world. Numbers, figures, sales, deadlines, etc.. total bs to me. I couldn't care less because the perceived importance of it just doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully some day one of my many seemingly useless hobbies will pay for itself! :crazy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly, I don't know where else to look. I am tattooed and pierced, which has caused some friction; but why should my only options be to work in a tattoo parlour or piercing salon. I like these things, but thats not what I want as a career. If it's aesthetically displeasing to the general pubic or the image the company wants to convey, then I might as well be told to lose weight or not be bald.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts