Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to be very trusting of my gut feelings about things. But the past couple years I felt like it might be holding me back from experiencing new kinds of things that could take me outside of my comfort zone. Or maybe the feelings might just be unreliable since there are no facts behind them.

I did and tried a lot of different things to go outside of my comfort zone. I feel like if I always trust a gut feeling about something then, what if the feeling might be wrong? It's like I have an initial gut feeling, but then I question it and start analyzing it and wonder if it's truly the right thought process to make a decision. I've gotten so used to do doing this that I now reject my intuition using my intuition. "I have a gut feeling that this gut feeling isn't right"

What are your thought? Do you relate? Any advice?

It's been confusing me sometimes about what I should really be doing in my life and the decisions I make.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
It's probably your Ti interfering with Ni. I don't see it as entirely bad since it forces you to logically make sense of what you're intuition is trying to tell you without blindly following it.

Have you ever had experiences when you just "know" something but you can't really explain why you know it? "

That is why I think it's important for INFJ to develop Ti. On the other hand, using too much Ti can also be detrimental because it can stop you from taking any action because you're always finding faults and inconsistencies to what you're trying to get done. I think this is where INFJ's perfectionist habits come from...from using too much Ti.

Finding a healthy balance is always good. Get all your ideas from Ni, pass them through the Ti-Se radar for some reality check and execute them via Fe.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
in my experience, when i was younger i used to rely almost solely on intuition/gut feelings; but then Ti began to develop and question each gut feeling, whether to trust it or not. there's nothing wrong with trying to rationalize gut feelings through logic - like Iconoclastic Visionary said. not all 'feelings' are accurate, because those 'intuitive channels' can have interference from insecurities, fears, or projection of our own psyche onto others, etc.

but there is a difference between the intuitive feelings i get. i have found that when i ignore the 'insistent' gut feelings (just because i can't rationalize them), i have always been very, very sorry - because the more insistent the feeling, the more likely it is to be startlingly accurate (even if you can find absolutely no logical rationale for it, when you think through it).

it's not widely understood that intuition is as logical as logical thought. neurological studies have revealed that intuition is access to the subconscious mind - it takes in data, and logically processes it much like Ti does in the conscious mind - it just occurs more quickly than conscious thought. and since it occurs in the subconscious mind, all the conscious mind is aware of it is its conclusions (those 'intuitive impressions' or 'feelings' or 'not-sure-how-i-know-this-about-you-but-i-just-do' senses or 'flashes of knowledge' you get), not the path by which those conclusions were reached. even the FBI is encouraging its agents, the military, and police officers, to listen to their intuition when in life-threatening situations (since their lives can depend on how accurate their perceptions/conclusions are, this is highly significant). so it makes logical sense to listen to your intuition ~ that which is most likely true intuition (untampered with by interference)...the insistent gut feelings.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably your Ti interfering with Ni. I don't see it as entirely bad since it forces you to logically make sense of what you're intuition is trying to tell you without blindly following it.

Have you ever had experiences when you just "know" something but you can't really explain why you know it? "

That is why I think it's important for INFJ to develop Ti. On the other hand, using too much Ti can also be detrimental because it can stop you from taking any action because you're always finding faults and inconsistencies to what you're trying to get done. I think this is where INFJ's perfectionist habits come from...from using too much Ti.

Finding a healthy balance is always good. Get all your ideas from Ni, pass them through the Ti-Se radar for some reality check and execute them via Fe.
This is interesting. I never really thought about this way of processing my emotions/behavior. This is actually very helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
My gut instincts are usually right, but I rationalize myself out of following them. I imagine the world as I want it to be, thinking if I keep pretending things are the way I idealize them to be, they will come true. I do get instincts that certain things aren't good for me, but if I want them I will often ignore logic. I'm trying to come to a middle ground of listening to my gut feelings, but checking repeatedly to make sure they seem realistic and I'm not leaving out any important details.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I have to say folks, I'm so impressed by your understanding of all the nuances of Ni / Ti / Se etc etc. I'm still very mucha student of all these differing parameters.....what I will say is I've gone with my gut on the really big decisons in life and have always come out OK. Make of that what you will!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts