Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a simple test years ago and got 5w6, now got 5w4, and got 549 as my trytype. I placed the letters 594 since I figured one is below or above the others. However, I want to do it more accurately, and after further research found this; How To Find Your Enneagram Type - Enneagram Explained

The first step is to identify your core motives.
I could best relate with 5 or 3 here;

Enneagram Type 3 Core Desire: Being Valuable / Being Successful
To expand on those two descriptions, 3’s want to be valuable, successful, admired, respected, and praised.

Enneagram Type 5 Core Desire: Being Competent / Being Capable
To expand on those two descriptions, 5’s want to be competent, capable, knowledgeable, self-sufficient, and well-informed.

BUT! I don't actually relate to/act in the ways of my desires much as a 3. I start a lot of projects, but never finish anything. Which is pain in my buns, and I'm so far away from being hard working you can call me a martian.

The second one, fears
These fit more, narrowed it down, but only took out 1....took out 4 since the rest fit to much.

Enneagram Type 3 Core Fear: Being Worthless / Being a Failure
To expand on those two descriptions, 3’s fear being worthless, a failure, not valued, not successful, and inefficient.

Enneagram Type 5 Core Fear: Being Incompetent / Being Incapable
To expand on those two descriptions, 5’s fear being incompetent, incapable, unknowledgeable, helpless, and ignorant.

Enneagram Type 8 Core Fear: Being Controlled / Being Harmed
To expand on those two descriptions, 8’s fear being controlled, harmed, powerless, weak, vulnerable, and manipulated.

I do not act like an 8, again.

Now if a narrow it down further....5, 3 and 8. (wait am I 538? No, hold on... reads description...eh, again I don't act like it, but those are my desires/fears...isn't the engram more based on that then actual personality?

If anyone has any knowledge I didn't see yet and therefore, couldn't consider it, or even if there's something I plain missed, let me know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Wisdom of Enneagram was stated that types 1, 3 and 5 might be sometimes misidentified, as they all are focused on competency. In my view, axis of mistype is here 1sp-3sp-5so. The most important question is, whether you want to be commonly respected for what you achieved or just acquire knowledge without any particular goal on mind (at least seemingly, as there's always suppressed wish "to become better prepared for overcoming challenges of life"). Or, to put it another way, whether you would choose common appreciation or full knowledge.
That all does not have many in common with efficiency in completing various projects. Unhealthy 3s can also fail and leave their plans unfinished.

The second one, fears
Misstype 5-8 IS possible, but stems most often from misunderstanding of the fears' nature. 8's tend to associate controlling them with harming their entirety. Consequently, they react with various forms of aggressive behavior, even if they would do themselves the same they have been ordered to.
Enneatype 5's also does not like being restricted or guided, at least not the way they don't want to follow. BUT if their ideas happen to fit these of superiors, they will, eventually, fulfill the instructions they have been given. That's because 5's typically do not have issues with physical boundaries. They rather preoccupy themselves with doubts, if they will find right way in life (as they lack guidance).
Which one applies to you?

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Wisdom of Enneagram was stated that types 1, 3 and 5 might be sometimes misidentified, as they all are focused on competency. In my view, axis of mistype is here 1sp-3sp-5so. The most important question is, whether you want to be commonly respected for what you achieved or just acquire knowledge without any particular goal on mind (at least seemingly, as there's always suppressed wish "to become better prepared for overcoming challenges of life"). Or, to put it another way, whether you would choose common appreciation or full knowledge.
That all does not have many in common with efficiency in completing various projects. Unhealthy 3s can also fail and leave their plans unfinished.

Misstype 5-8 IS possible, but stems most often from misunderstanding of the fears' nature. 8's tend to associate controlling them with harming their entirety. Consequently, they react with various forms of aggressive behavior, even if they would do themselves the same they have been ordered to.
Enneatype 5's also does not like being restricted or guided, at least not the way they don't want to follow. BUT if their ideas happen to fit these of superiors, they will, eventually, fulfill the instructions they have been given. That's because 5's typically do not have issues with physical boundaries. They rather preoccupy themselves with doubts, if they will find right way in life (as they lack guidance).
Which one applies to you?
Thanks for replying.
1. I already do acquire knowledge with no particular goal in mind usually. I find it fun, and that's where it ends on the surface level. I want to be a high achiever, known for doing something grand and unique and being praised for it, my work viewed highly. Being written down in history, to be overly idealistic. I do a lot of stuff at times, but never finish, because it's too big for a single person, I think of something better or more fun, or its plain not good enough, or rather perfect enough.
2. Being viewed as weak and too weird is one of my fears, and I never let anyone manipulate me, spot it fast and stop it too. I am not aggressive, and a 9 sounds more fitting than an 8, since I'm all about wearing comfortable clothes, or just plain being comfortable in general. Also, slack off etc. But I fear going nowhere, while i am nowhere. Have plans but mostly on hold, due to stuff i can't control.

And I noticed myself saying something that resembles a 4...should I assume my first assumption, being a 594 is correct?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I took a simple test years ago and got 5w6, now got 5w4, and got 549 as my trytype. I placed the letters 594 since I figured one is below or above the others. However, I want to do it more accurately, and after further research found this; How To Find Your Enneagram Type - Enneagram Explained

Enneagram Type 3 Core Desire: Being Valuable / Being Successful
To expand on those two descriptions, 3’s want to be valuable, successful, admired, respected, and praised.

Enneagram Type 5 Core Desire: Being Competent / Being Capable
To expand on those two descriptions, 5’s want to be competent, capable, knowledgeable, self-sufficient, and well-informed.

BUT! I don't actually relate to/act in the ways of my desires much as a 3. I start a lot of projects, but never finish anything. Which is pain in my buns, and I'm so far away from being hard working you can call me a martian.
If your heart fix is the last one, it's probably going to be a bit harder to find. You're probably not going to act like the type much. I actually have talked in detail to a 593 and two 953s online, and while all relate to type 3 core desires more than the other two triads, they are not very hardworking. I mean, they have two withdrawn fixes before it so that makes sense.

The second one, fears
These fit more, narrowed it down, but only took out 1....took out 4 since the rest fit to much.

Enneagram Type 3 Core Fear: Being Worthless / Being a Failure
To expand on those two descriptions, 3’s fear being worthless, a failure, not valued, not successful, and inefficient.

Enneagram Type 5 Core Fear: Being Incompetent / Being Incapable
To expand on those two descriptions, 5’s fear being incompetent, incapable, unknowledgeable, helpless, and ignorant.

Enneagram Type 8 Core Fear: Being Controlled / Being Harmed
To expand on those two descriptions, 8’s fear being controlled, harmed, powerless, weak, vulnerable, and manipulated.

I do not act like an 8, again.

Thanks for replying.
1. I already do acquire knowledge with no particular goal in mind usually. I find it fun, and that's where it ends on the surface level. I want to be a high achiever, known for doing something grand and unique and being praised for it, my work viewed highly. Being written down in history, to be overly idealistic. I do a lot of stuff at times, but never finish, because it's too big for a single person, I think of something better or more fun, or its plain not good enough, or rather perfect enough.
2. Being viewed as weak and too weird is one of my fears, and I never let anyone manipulate me, spot it fast and stop it too. I am not aggressive, and a 9 sounds more fitting than an 8, since I'm all about wearing comfortable clothes, or just plain being comfortable in general. Also, slack off etc. But I fear going nowhere, while i am nowhere. Have plans but mostly on hold, due to stuff i can't control.
5 naturally has a connection to type 8. So I think many 5s will relate to certain characteristics of type 8 despite not actually being one.

I think I might have told you that core fears are more important than behaviors. That's a bit misleading. I agree with Eola who said you have to look into the nature of the fears, not the fears alone. I don't think you can really be an 8 fix without dealing with that fear of being controlled counterphobically.

And I noticed myself saying something that resembles a 4...should I assume my first assumption, being a 594 is correct?
Please don't type as a 4 fix just because you have said some things that 4s would stereotypically say. This is why so many people overtype as 4s. I think you can look into types 3 and 4 more though, to make a better informed decision.
The fact that you don't want to be viewed as "too weird or weak" as well as your emphasis on desiring to be a high achiever makes me lean 3 fix, though. Like I said, you're not going to act like a stereotypical 3 especially since it's your last fix AND you have two withdrawn types before it.

Reactions: T.K

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I think I understand. Would it be sufficient for you if the effects of your work did not find common acceptance, however 2-3 real experts would give them merits? Would you describe yourself as distractible when working?

Being viewed as weak and too weird is one of my fears, and I never let anyone manipulate me, spot it fast and stop it too. I am not aggressive, and a 9 sounds more fitting than an 8, since I'm all about wearing comfortable clothes, or just plain being comfortable in general. Also, slack off etc. But I fear going nowhere, while i am nowhere. Have plans but mostly on hold, due to stuff i can't control.
I see. Do you often appear weird to unknown people? Would you consider yourself rather optimistic or pessimistic?

And I noticed myself saying something that resembles a 4.
I had a same impression for the moment but, generally, I dislike to jump so quickly to bottom line. :)
Can you identify with any type 4 motives or tendencies?

And, last but not least, it is sometimes helpful to look at your character type in terms of your country's culture. Do you feel that you fit your society? Do you share the same values as other people?

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I think I understand. Would it be sufficient for you if the effects of your work did not find common acceptance, however 2-3 real experts would give them merits? Would you describe yourself as distractible when working?

I see. Do you often appear weird to unknown people? Would you consider yourself rather optimistic or pessimistic?

I had a same impression for the moment but, generally, I dislike to jump so quickly to bottom line. :)
Can you identify with any type 4 motives or tendencies?

And, last but not least, it is sometimes helpful to look at your character type in terms of your country's culture. Do you feel that you fit your society? Do you share the same values as other people?
Not ideal, but I could live with it, if my work just paid fairly enough, and I find some fun in it...'' experts''...depends on who it is, i don't care about their diploma. That sounds more like I came out a failure, whatever I was doing. Tbh, not sure if this matters but I think it might; i'd rather do nothing or something more casually, then something grand, perfected to death that i already envisioned all the success for, that got stomped on once in the yes of the public. Yes, I'd say I do. I can go both ways, depending on the subject.

Yeah, I like expressing myself deeply through art. And usually find my self-awareness to be fairly high, since I think about 'me' a lot, both productively, but and usually, not much so.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also...distractible ...I can get in a flow, or I can get bored, but if it's something a few hours worth or less that I have to do, I'll get it over with and won't check my fb, if that's what you mean, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not ideal, but I could live with it, if my work just paid fairly enough, and I find some fun in it...'' experts''...depends on who it is, i don't care about their diploma.
Fair enough 😉 I meant a situation, when you developed a formula/wrote a poem/started the enterprise/made a disc/bred a two-headed laboratory rat (choose one) and nobody cares. Then, out of a sudden, three wise men/visionaries/cult artists decided consecutively to write letters to you and praise your achievement as something staying ahead of time. All the other people, nevertheless, are unmoved.
And you seem to consider it a consolation, not reward of its own kind. That's understandable, but excludes possibility of being type 5w6 so.
tl;dr version: you are probably not a niche-scientist type
Tbh, not sure if this matters but I think it might; i'd rather do nothing or something more casually, then something grand, perfected to death that i already envisioned all the success for, that got stomped on once in the yes of the public.
Yes, it matters a lot. You seem to be rather self-conscious. Which is totally perfect, as there are no good or bad character types. All depends on situation.

Yeah, I like expressing myself deeply through art. And usually find my self-awareness to be fairly high, since I think about 'me' a lot, both productively, but and usually, not much so.
Do you like performing arts or visual arts more when it goes about your self-expression through creativity?

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough 😉 I meant a situation, when you developed a formula/wrote a poem/started the enterprise/made a disc/bred a two-headed laboratory rat (choose one) and nobody cares. Then, out of a sudden, three wise men/visionaries/cult artists decided consecutively to write letters to you and praise your achievement as something staying ahead of time. All the other people, nevertheless, are unmoved.
And you seem to consider it a consolation, not reward of its own kind. That's understandable, but excludes possibility of being type 5w6 so.
tl;dr version: you are probably not a niche-scientist type

Yes, it matters a lot. You seem to be rather self-conscious. Which is totally perfect, as there are no good or bad character types. All depends on situation.

Do you like performing arts or visual arts more when it goes about your self-expression through creativity?
If it would be validated as great by actual critics who know what they're talking about, but people didn't care, that'd still be great. Maybe better. I wasn't sure how to pin down the question, since too much to consider. I wouldn't be self-satisfied if all others thought it was crap besides two people with a diploma, obviously. Would try again once the wound heals up, considering all the negative feedback I find genuine and fitting.

I like using words more, but It may be partly because I'm not as good at drawing.
I usually enjoyed words more in general, but I have great ideas for visual art that I can't execute in he same, awesome way as it looks in my head.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,513 Posts
@T.K

I get zero 3 vibes from you. They are far too success/completion oriented. You don't care about that. You want to be seen as competent, but you couldn't give a hoot if you finish anything.

I think maybe you should try filling out this questionnaire. You copy it, put it into a new post in this folder, fill it out, and people read it and give you their ideas.

Reactions: Eola and T.K

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@T.K

I get zero 3 vibes from you. They are far too success/completion oriented. You don't care about that. You want to be seen as competent, but you couldn't give a hoot if you finish anything.

I think maybe you should try filling out this questionnaire. You copy it, put it into a new post in this folder, fill it out, and people read it and give you their ideas.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree with tanstaafl28. You do not seem to be success-driven in ennea-3 way.
If I could suggest anything, consider type 4. Some issues you raised are typically 4, namely significance and concentration on identity.
I asked of your country's culture because Slovenian culture (if I recognized the flag properly) places emphasis on perfectionism and industriousness, as well as courtesy and directness. If you happen to have difficulties adjusting to such norms, it speaks also against E3 :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also suggest you read more about Hornevian and Harmony triad too. About how you approach the world and how you deal with stress, respectively.
Hope it helps

Reactions: T.K
1 - 14 of 14 Posts