Alfred Hitchcock: ENTJ 8 w/ a 3w4 fix

Sergio Leone: ENTP

Nicolas Winding Refn: INTP 5w4 w/ 3w4 fix

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's just being a 7w8 and liking to fuck with people :tongue:
I don't know, Russell Brand who's ENFP 7w8 doesn't even have the same level of Fe "let me seem as nice and personable as possible" vibe and facial expressions as QT. He tries to emulate it, but he seems to be mainly in his own eccentric NeFi bubble while QT is more earthy and relatable like a NeFe.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Agree with bloop's Kubrick and Scorsese typings...

The more cinema you've seen, the less you should be wont to type Tarantino as an N. Every scene is lifted from someone else's film. ESxP.

Hitch is either of the ExTP, not quite sure. He had that impish black humor thing going on during his 1940-60 heyday. Should the fact that the scripts for his movies aren't exactly heady stuff determine S/N?

Leone as an Ne-dom: not likely, pal. 5 westerns + a Godfather-style crime epic = Too narrow a comfort zone, though three of those movies are among the best of their kind. Much like his protege Clint, fine craftsman, not a visionary. ISTP.

On the other hand, Peter Greenaway *is* an ENTP. When CTW&L is on the less extreme end of your filmic oeuvre, you know you're an enfant terrible.

Ozu the ISFJ made pretty much the same film over and over, but DAMN was he good at it.

Most auteurs of non-English language cinema: INFJ. Still haven't entirely figured out why that is.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree with bloop's Kubrick and Scorsese typings...

The more cinema you've seen, the less you should be wont to type Tarantino as an N. Every scene is lifted from someone else's film. ESxP.

Hitch is either of the ExTP, not quite sure. He had that impish black humor thing going on during his 1940-60 heyday. Should the fact that the scripts for his movies aren't exactly heady stuff determine S/N?

Leone as an Ne-dom: not likely, pal. 5 westerns + a Godfather-style crime epic = Too narrow a comfort zone, though three of those movies are among the best of their kind. Much like his protege Clint, fine craftsman, not a visionary. ISTP.

On the other hand, Peter Greenaway *is* an ENTP. When CTW&L is on the less extreme end of your filmic oeuvre, you know you're an enfant terrible.

Ozu the ISFJ made pretty much the same film over and over, but DAMN was he good at it.

Most auteurs of non-English language cinema: INFJ. Still haven't entirely figured out why that is.
I see more of a Ne, mixing and matching quality in QT's borrowing. He takes a big-picture premise (crime film, western, martial arts film, etc.) and then throws in a hodge-podge of disparate elements without any regard for the traditions or nitty-gritty details of the genre he's portraying.

If he were Se his influences would seem more specific rather than from a million different films, which is basically Si info-hoarding.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quentin Tarantino is an ESTP. He always presents himself like an ADHD man-child trying to restrain himself. His movies are too vulgar and obnoxious to be intuitive. "Blood spatter here, "motherfucka!" there", etc. An ENTP director is someone like Federico Fellini.
Its probably more to do with the fact that he's a middle school dropout

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
He is the ultimate fan. The frenetic love child of dozen directors.

Quentin Tarantino is an ESTP. He always presents himself like an ADHD man-child trying to restrain himself. His movies are too vulgar and obnoxious to be intuitive. "Blood spatter here, "motherfucka!" there", etc. An ENTP director is someone like Federico Fellini.
Thank you two for being smart. Tarantino is an Se-dom, whatever he is. ESxP. I get the Fe argument for sure. I'd have typed him ESFP but he does seem to show a lot of what seems like Fe.

Hurrah for letting Se out of it's box and showing good examples rather than banal ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm in agreement with the ESxP assertion for Quentin Tarantino, but we're yet to see any evidence of his Ti. It would be nice if someone could present some relevant examples. As for his Fe, from what I've seen of him he seems to lack the tactfulness of a person with good Fe, what was more apparent was a caustic Fi function. The ideal example of my claim being the "I'm shutting your butt down" interview. Also, his movies tend to explore more Fi valued themes such as revenge, redemption and repressed minorities breaking lose of their chains etc. I think ESFP suits him better but would love to see some arguments against his Fi.

Reactions: chimeric

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in agreement with the ESxP assertion for Quentin Tarantino, but we're yet to see any evidence of his Ti. It would be nice if someone could present some relevant examples. As for his Fe, from what I've seen of him he seems to lack the tactfulness of a person with good Fe, what was more apparent was a caustic Fi function. The ideal example of my claim being the "I'm shutting your butt down" interview. Also, his movies tend to explore more Fi valued themes such as revenge, redemption and repressed minorities breaking lose of their chains etc. I think ESFP suits him better but would love to see some arguments against his Fi.
He actually did show tact. He clearly got over it quickly once the interviewer got to the next question (showing positive body language and enthusiasm), whereas I'd imagine a Fi user being less capable of hiding the resentment in their face after a monologue like that.

Watch at 7:30

·
Registered
71 Posts
He actually did show tact. He clearly got over it quickly once the interviewer got to the next question (showing positive body language and enthusiasm), whereas I'd imagine a Fi user being less capable of hiding the resentment in their face after a monologue like that.

Watch at 7:30

I'm inclined to agree with your point and the fact that you claim to be ENFP garners your opinion more merit as I'd presume you'd certainly be more efficient at discerning Fi from Fe. But I think I'm seeing things differently here, he couldn't completely recover from the precedent conflict, he seemed a lot more enthusiastic and affable at the beginning of the interview and became significantly more defensive and aggressive towards the end. His explosive reaction is also what I would describe to be highly unwarranted, devoid of logical reasoning and lacking any real tact or wit, not something I would expect from a person using Fe with a Ti precedence.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm inclined to agree with your point and the fact that you claim to be ENFP garners your opinion more merit as I'd presume you'd certainly be more efficient at discerning Fi from Fe. But I think I'm seeing things differently here, he couldn't completely recover from the precedent conflict, he seemed a lot more enthusiastic and affable at the beginning of the interview and became significantly more defensive and aggressive towards the end. His explosive reaction is also what I would describe to be highly unwarranted, devoid of logical reasoning and lacking any real tact or wit, not something I would expect from a person using Fe with a Ti precedence.
I have a hard time believing all ExTPs have tact lol. Look at Charlie Sheen

1 - 20 of 36 Posts