Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! I've been trying to post on this site for a solid year! :laughing: Gosh I'm so happy. Great community here. Anyway, I've come to the realization that I'm not only an ENTP but I'm also an INTP. I accept this as truth because whenever I take the myer briggs test(Personality test based on C. Jung and I. Briggs Myers type theory) I get like a 1% on the E/I part no matter if it's I or E.
The thing is when I'm with my friends I'm rarely introverted sure I'm not the life of the party but I get friends fairly easily and am loved by my friends and looked upon to bring something to the party. However it's the opposite when I'm with my family, sometimes I can be lively but most of the time when we have gatherings I stay away from activities. On top of that I like to work alone most of the time but the ideas that I get are very ENTP-esque; big ambitious ideas about the future and I also have a relentless mindset that everything can be improved.
I've gone as far to write a blog about some of my solutions I've found to deal with being an E/INTP: The Thinking Visionary
Just wanted to see if you guys had any inquiries or any suggestions(I'm also a huge fan of self improvement hence why I love psychology). Thanks ahead of time for anyone who submits a reply. So glad to finally be apart of this community.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,677 Posts
Functions? Do you prefer to go deep or go wide?

Cognitive extraversion is not the same as social extraversion, you know.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,677 Posts
Deep...explain the difference please.
It has to do with your dominant function. I adapted a market metaphor here: for example, a retailer that goes "deep" has a variety of nameplates that cater to different brand segments, but does not have large-scale market share. IOW, it dominates a market, but the market it dominates is regional (rather than national) in scope. Going "wide", by contrast, spreads the same product line across many markets.

Ti (Introverted Thinking) is like going deep: constructing systematic and complete structures, bringing new ones in only when absolutely necessary. Ne (Extraverted Intuition) is like going wide: seeking a pattern, and being satisfied with recognition of the pattern's existence, continually tugging on strands that lead to expansion of the pattern.

If you lead with Ne, you prefer to go wide in your thinking -- explore the pattern and plumb things that especially catch your eye. If you lead with Ti OTOH, you go deep: you want to know the thing, and the whole of the thing first and foremost -- you're aware of the pattern, but it's subservient to the structure you're focused on.

Reactions: guyfiction

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has to do with your dominant function. I adapted a market metaphor here: for example, a retailer that goes "deep" has a variety of nameplates that cater to different brand segments, but does not have large-scale market share. IOW, it dominates a market, but the market it dominates is regional (rather than national) in scope. Going "wide", by contrast, spreads the same product line across many markets.

Ti (Introverted Thinking) is like going deep: constructing systematic and complete structures, bringing new ones in only when absolutely necessary. Ne (Extraverted Intuition) is like going wide: seeking a pattern, and being satisfied with recognition of the pattern's existence, continually tugging on strands that lead to expansion of the pattern.

If you lead with Ne, you prefer to go wide in your thinking -- explore the pattern and plumb things that especially catch your eye. If you lead with Ti OTOH, you go deep: you want to know the thing, and the whole of the thing first and foremost -- you're aware of the pattern, but it's subservient to the structure you're focused on.
Ok well when you put it that way I'm definitely deep I see patterns but can't really stop and accept without applying them to a bigger structure.

*P.S. I totally had a dream that we were having this conversation...:shocked:

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,677 Posts
Ok well when you put it that way I'm definitely deep I see patterns but can't really stop and accept without applying them to a bigger structure.

*P.S. I totally had a dream that we were having this conversation...:shocked:
Oh okay. You're definitely wide. (You missed a key detail and us ENTPs are absolutely awful at details.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh okay. You're definitely wide. (You missed a key detail and us ENTPs are absolutely awful at details.)
Lmfao! Nice...your right I'm not good at details at all. And I just reviewed it....I pretty much completely ignored the part "bringing new [structures] in only when absolutely necessary". I definitely look to expand my "pattern"(pattern can be another word for world view in this context right?) as much as possible, pretty much tugging on the "strands" nearly to their breaking point.

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,677 Posts
The Universe is a spiderweb, O Padawan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts