Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The movie, Margin Call, is playing on my tv as I type this. I'm curious... what Types are investment bankers, financial analysts, hedge fund managers, etc. in general?

Maaany years ago when I was young & foxy and lived in NYC, I got asked out by a lot of these Wall Street guys and on our dates I often felt like we spoke an entirely different language so I wonder if the vast majority are Sensors? Certainly, I can't imagine many ENFPs enjoying careers in finance.

If I had to guess, I'd say ESTJs are highly represented. Maybe traders would be mostly SPs and analysts might have a smattering of xNTJs mixed in.

What say you?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Whatever type you'd find gambing is more likely to appear as a daytrader as well. ESTP fits that protocol. Think of them as educated, well dressed gamblers.

Edit: Pardon my edits :p

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I think the Kiersey stereotypes would be a lot of STJs, NTJs and probably a number of STPs. But really there's nothing that says any of the other types could excel in this field either other than the fact that the business community tends to very Te-oriented so I would imagine strong Te-types might be more at home in this line of work.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
It really depends on the field. Private equity requires a significant understanding of corporate strategy and the long-range impacts of a corporate body as it evolves. Ni and Te help a lot with this, hence _NTJ. Same goes for equity research, although other thinking types can do well here as well.

I tend to think ibanking is the type of field that requires particularly strong Ti, though there are a lot of _STJ's in my graduating class who are going into it at the big banks. ENTP are well-represented. Surprisingly, I know a few ENFJ's as well, who like being able to say that they work for a big-name firm, in a "prestigious" position. You've got ES_P's in the seller roles, and maybe some more outgoing ES_J's.

That covers a lot of types!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts