Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont watch much TV but I will turn it on or music. I think its so I dont allow myself to be vulnerable to the spirit realm. Hearing random and unfamiliar voices or noises when I'm alone still freak me out. I also sleep with a fan for this purpose and also so that the noise can drown out my thoughts. Anyone else ?

Registered
ENTP | 4w3 | SP/SX
For me dead silence is comforting because sometimes I just don't want to hear anything but just...nothing. Maybe that's because I like sitting in the dark and going out at night but yeah I see where you are coming from I have family members that are like that and always like me around because I am usually active at night 馃槀.

But in terms of spirits that's always an interesting one, I never met any aggressive ones so I have no issue with that at all with spirits most of the time except when they're right next to you 馃槄.

Registered
what you make me
Hm. I'd rather be in silence with my thoughts.

When working, I find any type of noise to be very disturbing. My SO always listens to music as it helps him concentrate, but for me it has the exact opposite effect. The worst is speech, because I'll unconsciously focus on it so it draws my attention away from the task at hand. When I am extremely focused I get into a flow state, those times the surroundings cease to exist and I can be oblivious to noises, which I found to be a useful trait.

I do listen to music before going to bed as my mind tends to get caught up with daily happenings so I need a way to tune this down. Otherwise I can keep thinking and problem solving for hours.

In simple downtime... I still don't tend to have any kind of noises on. I suppose it's generally disturbing for me.

Registered
I sleep with a fan on, I can't sleep in silence.

Do you have any anxiety by any chance?

That's why I sleep with the fan on.

Registered
No One
I live alone so every little noise makes me freak out. I need white noise to sleep so I use a fan and during the day I usually have the TV on in the background.

INFP
Not because of some spiritrealm, but just sounds of people. It is distracting, to hear the downstairs neighbours, the other people in the flat, the schoolkids from the school yard screaming like they are dying a few times a day, a car sounding a bit off and I wonder if they hit something(like a cat or kid), the neighbours up on the hill shouting... other things... having some music or other on blurs out that stuff, and though it is an extra thing to take in, it doesn't sprout as many thoughts and isn't as distracting.

MOTM January 2013
It really depends, sometimes complete silence is a welcome background for me to think and on many other occasions nothings beats the added sounds of birds tweeting, the rain/thunder outside or low vibrational humming sounds like from a fanning system.
Do you ever find yourself listening to videos like this...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It really depends, sometimes complete silence is a welcome background for me to think and on many other occasions nothings beats the added sounds of birds tweeting, the rain/thunder outside or low vibrational humming sounds like from a fanning system.
Do you ever find yourself listening to videos like this...
Yeah but I go for ocean sounds and usually only if I'm sleeping at someone's place

Registered
Type 8w9
I usually fall asleep the sound of my thoughts, honestly. So external silence or not, it is never truly quiet for me (unless I am exhausted, but I don't like those types of nights). There are always cars driving by, people walking past talking on their phone, upstairs neighbors yelling at their children/jumping up and down.

Registered
Hmm... I (obviously) don鈥檛 know you so I don鈥檛 know your exact experience, but if there is no logical reason for the voices/noises, have you maybe considered talking to a counselor?

It may or may not help you, but I really feel like this might be worth looking into for you, if it is causing you anxiety or distress.

Registered
I cannot do routine tasks(think data entry) in complete silence. My mind wanders away in silence and reigning it back in can take some time. Radio must go in the background if there's no other background noise. It increases my chances of staying on track by about 50%.

I do like to just sit and let my mind wander, so the silence does not bother me unless I'm needing to task.
However, I can sleep either way. The only time I get sketched out going to sleep is if I'm a little too hyped up on caffeine along with reading/writing/watching an intensely scary scene just before bed. Or when I'm camping out on a hiking trail. I'm so much more a light sleeper when there's just my thin tent between me and who/whatever else is out there.

Registered
Both have there moments. More often than not when i get home from work, i will stick the radio on in the kitchen and leave it to play till i go to bed, even, though id be in another room listening to the stereo or watching tv or doing whetever.
Sometimes when ive had a hard or taxing day, its great to just sit down in total silence for a least a good half hour and just think or not think and depressurize.

I live in a city, and juring the first lockdown when i wasnt working, i really enjoyed the quietness, it was a delight noticing the lack of the background noise and hum of the traffic.
And kinda like mushr00m, sometimes if i have trouble sleeping, i find listening rain or storm sounds quite peacefull on my echo, which seems to do the trick.

Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ 鈾
I dont watch much TV but I will turn it on or music. I think its so I dont allow myself to be vulnerable to the spirit realm. Hearing random and unfamiliar voices or noises when I'm alone still freak me out. I also sleep with a fan for this purpose and also so that the noise can drown out my thoughts. Anyone else ?
Yep, I run a fan year round when I sleep. I also like it really dark. About the only time I don't notice background noise is when I read.

I lived on a US Navy ship for nearly 3 years. I was used to the sound of constant air handlers, people making noise in the passageways. I lived right below the Mess Decks, so the sounds of chairs, utensils hitting the deck, dishwashers, all became normal sounds to me. When I finally left the Navy and first tried to sleep it was too damn quiet. Took a few weeks to get used to it.

Reactions: GusWriter

Registered
I never thought of it this way, but I do sleep with an air filter on because it is very calming to me. It really isn't a good air filter either, so there really is no other reason for me to put it on.

Registered
Love silence while sleeping and don't mind silence during the day, although there's often music playing since music is marvelous!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm... I (obviously) don鈥檛 know you so I don鈥檛 know your exact experience, but if there is no logical reason for the voices/noises, have you maybe considered talking to a counselor?

It may or may not help you, but I really feel like this might be worth looking into for you, if it is causing you anxiety or distress.
The noises are recycled and reverberate. There is a name for it. And I tried to find it last night but noise doesn't just disappear. It travels much slower than light. Some people hear voices having conversations and its the same sound everytime. Zak Bagans had the name. The sound people hear is the noise vibrations coming from. The past and they usually occur around the same times. Other noises only occur if I focus too much on the silence.

Registered
The noises are recycled and reverberate. There is a name for it. And I tried to find it last night but noise doesn't just disappear. It travels much slower than light. Some people hear voices having conversations and its the same sound everytime. Zak Bagans had the name. The sound people hear is the noise vibrations coming from. The past and they usually occur around the same times. Other noises only occur if I focus too much on the silence.
Interesting. Do you think it could be a physical phenomenon produced by your ear(s)? I鈥檝e never studied or looked into ears/sounds, but can it be caused by something being different about the way your ears are structured?

Registered
INFP
I actually can't stand noisy spaces, even if it's just the fridge, I have to put background music to drown the sound a little bit. I really wish I could stay at a place with no sound for a day or two because sound is way too overwhelming for me sometimes.

I do listen to music constantly, maybe as a way of escapism, idk, but I'm trying to just embrace real-life sounds when I go to the supermarket for example.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts