Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been really hardcore into MBTI types for a while and studied the cognitive functions and a lot of different types of personalities. I have been extremely disappointed at the quality of personality type quizzes on the Internet, so that I thought I would take a shot at making my own quiz.

Here's the link for it: Personality Type Quiz

The site has a pretty complex quiz on it. It's a 60 question quiz, but different types will be asked different questions, so the quiz is different for different people. How you answer the first set of questions affects what questions you are asked next. It's all based on the cognitive functions. There's also a lot more content on the site than just the quiz if you're interested in learning more.

Right now, the quiz is in a beta development stage, so I'm looking for feedback on how it works. Probably takes about 10 minutes I'd guess to take the quiz. Anyone who wants to try it out please do so and let me know what you think about it and where I should improve it! Thanks!

BTW, this isn't a "for-profit" endeavor if you're worried about anything like that. It's just something I've been working on for fun.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Interesting approach! I've got a good bit of feedback--don't take any of this personally. It broke for me when I submitted my answers to the first fifteen questions. Probably because they were a bit all over the place. There were quite a few times when none of the answers seemed to fit. For example:
1. Which statement best describes your thinking process if you have a tough decision to make?
I make sure that every important decision in my life is in agreement with my value system. I do not care much what other people think. I try to do what is morally the right thing to do.
I gather evidence/research, but I rely most on what I know to be the correct decision. I go with what makes the most sense and will not trust the experts unless those experts are making logical sense.
I tend to think of the people in my life. What would they do in this situation? How will this decision affect the people that I care about? What would be best for them? I have difficulty making decisions alone.
I try to gather as many facts and details as possible doing things such as building pros & cons lists, asking knowledgeable people, and gathering evidence/research. I tend to trust experts if I am not knowledgeable about it.
Second option is Ti, right? I mean, the first is clearly Fi, third is clearly Fe and last Te, so the second must be Ti. I think it sounds a bit too much like what Te users think Ti is as it stands right now. Let me suggest:
I consider all the facets of the decision and try to work through all the consequences of choosing different approaches. I try to be objective, and I go with what makes the most sense to me regardless of what others think.
Question 2 is hard as well--I want to do everything but work out in a gym, so I don't know what to pick! I'm about equal between reading and nature walk, with history documentary coming in a close third. Good question in that I don't know what functions these are supposed to equal.

Question 5 suffers from the same problem as #1--the Ti option is a bit off--too based on stereotypes. Tis don't exaggerate? We use hyperbole all the time (see what I did there?). I'd suggest:

I want to as precise and accurate as possible. I prefer getting directly to the point and may come across as very literal. It is often hard for others to tell when I'm joking.

I have no answer to Question 6--I don't really fear any of those things, and other than the first option (Fi), don't know what the rest are getting at.

I don't have an answer to Question 7 either. I like having independence, but I do eventually want to settle down. And I'd rather have some security when my imagination's running wild. But saying that money and taking care of family is most important is definitely not the case, and making people in my life happy seems like the same thing as the previous answer. I guess I'm true to myself? Because they can control my body but they can't control my mind? I don't know what this question is getting at.

For Question 9, again if "Hard headed" is the Ti answer, I see what you're getting at but I don't know if TPs would ever pick this option--I certainly only did because of Process of Elimination. What you need is how each function interprets how it's being perceived. Maybe a better way of cuing would be "I think of myself as X, but others see me as Y"? If it's left as it is now, I'd suggest:
Unresponsive and stubborn
Question 11 should be more specific--it needs an adjectival phrase. Maybe "interpersonal conflict"? I don't particularly like the wording on the Fi option--it should be:
I stand up for what I think is right, and sometimes the social order needs to be challenged anyway.
The Ti option should be:
I try to avoid expressing my opinion about emotional and personal issues, sometimes to a fault. However, I will stand up for my own ideas.
Definitely like Question 12--"Designing a game" was my answer--is that right for INTP?

I also don't have an answer to Question 13. I picked "I do what I want to do" but that's not really right (other than no one else influences my decision one way or the other). If I were writing my ideal answer it would be along the lines of:
I don't have a problem if other people run the red light, but I'm not going to be the one to test it.
Just to note, this is my attitude (and a very stereotypically INTP one) toward a lot of moral questions. I think you need more answers here since this is a combination of perception/judging. I feel like the answer I picked is far more of an SP answer, but I don't see an NP answer.

Question 14, the Ti option is actually more of an inferior Si option. The Ti answer should be more akin to:
I like solving problems, calmly and rationally in my own unique way, by coming up with new solutions.
Question 15 also confuses Ti with NTP (STPs aren't always as open-minded as Ne users because Ni makes them more focused). A purely Ti answer would be:
Being able to figure out what's really going on
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I made the changes that you suggested and uploaded them.

The test is really designed in 4 levels. Level one tries to figure out Fi/Fe/Ti/Te. It narrows it down to 2 of the 4 options.

Level 2 looks at what the top 2 of Fi/Fe/Ti/Te are. Then it asks more specific questions to narrow it down to one of those.

Level 3 depends on what judging functions you got, then it asks questions to figure out the perceiving function of Ni/Ne/Si/Se. So, if you got Ti, it'll ask questions related to Ne or Se checking if you are NTP or STP.

Then, level 4 tries to figure out what the ordering of the judging and perceiving functions are. So ENTP or INTP for example.

Sorry it didn't work. Try it again. The server that it's on can go up and down occasionally. It's nothing related to my site. It works as intended, but the server tends to be unresponsive at times. I've tested it a lot and the pages all work.

Overall, there are 285 questions on the quiz, but 1 person taking it will only get 60 questions. 225 of those they will never see because they don't relate to them. I really appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I can just run out of ideas for what to ask for questions when I've been working at it for so long. Having a fresh set of eyes look at it helps a lot. Plus, I do have difficulty getting Ti since I'm Te. My brother is INTP and my sister is ESTP, so I tried to think of what they are like when framing Ti type of responses. I put in all of your suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It gave me INFP
It's pretty good, but it's not often tests type me as an 'S'
Thanks for trying it out.

Are you sure that you are ISFP? The main difference between INFP and ISFP is what type of things that they are into. INFPs are more abstract and theoretical. ISFP's are into physical things. The ISFP is going to be a lot more trendy and 'cool' than the INFP who is dreamy and idealistic. INFPs usually want to learn more about themselves while ISFPs usually aren't into things like that. They would rather go and do something.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Thanks for trying it out.

Are you sure that you are ISFP? The main difference between INFP and ISFP is what type of things that they are into. INFPs are more abstract and theoretical. ISFP's are into physical things. The ISFP is going to be a lot more trendy and 'cool' than the INFP who is dreamy and idealistic. INFPs usually want to learn more about themselves while ISFPs usually aren't into things like that. They would rather go and do something.
I've considered both types. It's possible I could be INFP, but I seem a bit too aggressive and direct.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
INFPs are direct. The types that would be more indirect are Fe-types like INFJ, ENFJ, ISFJ, or ESFJ.

ISFP and INFP are really close to each other because they are both dominant Fi. You'd really have to focus on Extraverted Sensing vs. Extraverted Intuition. I know a couple of ISFPs in real life and a couple of INFPs too. The INFPs are into concepts, ideas, etc. The ISFPs are into going on nice vacations, having a nice car, looking good, etc. Their emotional temperaments are the same. Just the things they are into are very different.

·
Warden-Commander
24,113 Posts
I got INTP. I get both INTP and ISTP pretty much equally often.

·
Banned
1,536 Posts
Your test is awesome !
I'm not kidding, it's like a new approach, and I learned a lot of things about functions. Your descriptions are really good too, it's the first time I recognize my self so much in an ENFJ description.

Thanks a lot ! It was really interesting and useful. I will give it to my friends !

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I got ISTP. I have never gotten ISTP on a test before--I've gotten INTJ and every permutation of NP and ESFJ, but I've never gotten ISTP before.

Again, nothing personal, but some feedback on page 3 of questions--

32: which answer corresponds to Se-Ni and which to Ne-Si? SPs tend to live in the moment, but be driven by the imperative. NPs tend to live in the subjunctive world and be past-oriented. NPs will choose the "I like to think about the future" option because we love thinking about alternate worlds and possibilities. SPs will choose "day-by-day" because despite tertiary Ni's future/goal orientation, that's how they live. The real difference is between imperative (purpose-driven) and subjunctive (meaning-driven) moods. I'd ask:

Which is more important to you:
Finding meaning and understanding how the world fits together (Ne)
Having a purpose and knowing how things work (Se)
34 is very problematic. I've typed a lot of STPs who claim they were NTPs because they "like computers". Conversely, my ENTP roommate hates computers and would rather be exploring something in the physical world. It's not a good distinction between Se and Ne-auxiliary. I would suggest (I'm not entirely sure on these options but I'm trying to get at the connection/stimulation divide between Se and Ne):

What sounds like more fun to you?

Spending a week on a beach on a tropical island with no limits on how much money you can spend
Spending a week meeting with various political, artistic, and social leaders and having a frank, open discussion with them.
35 is also a bit problematic because the answers are actually getting at imposition of values. the Ne answer is actually about whether others should be forced to experience things the way you want to. How about:
35. What kind of people annoy you more?

People who think there is only one way of doing things
People who are boring and want to kill my fun.
36 is going to get a lot of ISPs giving the NP answer. Dominant Ti/Fi love theoretical discussions also, and I meet a lot of ISTPs who will swear they're INTP because they enjoy theory. I'd suggest:

36. What do you think about theoretical discussions?

They are fascinating. I love coming up with new ideas and can talk and debate theory endlessly
Enjoyable up to a point. Talk is great, but ultimately it's action that matters.
37 ("get things done quickly") doesn't seem to distinguish Ne-Si and Se-Ni. I think the second one seems more Ne, but from the type descriptions you have, I think it's meant to be Se? I'm really unclear about this question.

39 seems to imply that all perception is introverted--the framing of the question "what do you pay a lot of attention to" leads to introverted perceiving answers. As introverted judgers, P-types pay a lot of attention to Fi/Ti interpretation--values, logic--not what's going on. I'm not sure how these aren't Si/Ni answers. For Se/Ne answers, you should rewrite the question:
39. What do you pay a lot of attention to?

I pay a lot of attention to opportunities for making the most of life. I don't feel like I have a grasp on something until I've experienced it for myself.
I pay a lot of attention to alternatives and possibilities. I need to try out different ideas before I know what's going on.
On 43, I worry that Ti users will answer the "practical problem solver" and Fi users "imaginative visionary" regardless of Se vs. Ne. How about:
43. What sounds more like you?

I believe that practice makes perfect and I can throw myself into practical, technical problem-solving to get where I want to go.
I believe in the power of imagination and I prefer seeing something come together in my mind. It doesn't really matter whether I can perform in practice.
Finally, 45 is kind of stereotypical with respect to Se/Ne. Are you saying only Nes would say "smart"? Or Nes wouldn't think off themselves as "cool"? What about:
45. I am more...

Imaginative, Eccentric, Talkative, Referential
Risk-taking, Focused, Determined, Engaged

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I made those changes.

That page that you were on is only for people who answered the previous pages to get to Ti. Those questions are for Ti users and trying to get at Ne or Se. An Fi user has a different set of questions. Take the test answering as Fi types and you can see what questions they would get.

When thinking of those questions I was trying to contrast my INTP brother with my ESTP sister, so maybe that's why they were off. Really I appreciate the feedback because I'm trying to get this thing as accurate as possible. I'm in the process of trying to refine the questions to get better results.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Personality test results for I ate a shark
Cognitive Function Based Personality Type Quiz
The best personality type quiz on the web

Your result: ENFJ

• estimated 3% of the population
  • 3% of Women
  • 2% of Men

Overview Description of ENFJ

ENFJs tend to be friendly, outgoing and enthusiastic. Relationships are important to them, along with the ability to communicate and connect with others. They are empathetic yet easily hurt. ENFJs lead with good communication skills and warmth to gain cooperation toward meeting the ideals they hold for an individual or organization. They naturally find potential in others and are attuned to other’s needs and emotions. Other words to describe an ENFJ include decisive, opinionated, productive, organized, and responsible.
They are harmonious people champions, warm, caring and extremely organized. The ENFJ will be the one people turn to for help. They are authentic, insightful, and great at tuning in to how others are feeling and making people feel truly special. They are found at the emotional heart of a group, selfless, acting as the glue, an unusual combination of bossy and caring. They are the benevolent, strict teachers of humanity and have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturing tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship, but it’s usually not meant as manipulation—they generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

Recognizing the ENFJ

ENFJs are natural teachers, often found organizing people to take part in some educational activity. They tend to take charge of a situation, and guide a group towards those activities and experiences that will help them learn and grow. They intuitively see the potential in people, and with charisma and warmth they encourage others to pursue greater developments of their strengths. They are typically dynamic and productive, and they are often visibly energized when leading others to discover new knowledge. They are typically good communicators, talented at using words to connect with others. They are perceptive about people and enjoy talking about relationships. They often enjoy helping others solve personal problems and like to share their insights about people, their emotions, and their motivations. They are empathetic sometimes to the point of being overinvolved and can become exhausted if they are surrounded by too much negative emotion. Popular hobbies include: organizing social events, reading, the arts, museums, storytelling, listening to music, writing, and gourmet cooking.

Motivations

ENFJs are driven by a deep sense of altruism and empathy for other people. They have an intuitive sense of the emotions of others and often act as an emotional barometer for the people around them; however, their compassion is not reserved for the people close to them. They are often humanitarian in nature and may feel genuine concern for the ills of the entire human race. They tend to personally experience the feelings of others, and they feel compelled to act when they see people suffering. They want close, supportive connections with others and believe that cooperation is the best way to get things done. They like to be liked and are very sensitive to feedback, both positive and negative. They expect the best not just from themselves, but from others as well, and they may find themselves disappointed when others are not as genuine in their intentions as the ENFJ. They work hard to maintain strong relationships and strive to be valuable members of their families, groups, and communities.

Relationships

The ENFJ is empathetic and insightful, seeing and making connections between people. Action-oriented and people-centered they make sure that everything is planned, scheduled, organized and that people are happy. They are emotional but tend to focus on other people, tuning in and bringing incredible empathy and organizational ability to bear. This means that they can get ‘emotioned out’ themselves as they give so much. While they will encourage trust and openness, they may not be so open about how they are feeling, indeed they may not really think about sharing their own feelings as they are so focused on caring for and organizing other people. They have thin psychological boundaries, and are at risk of being hurt by those who are less sensitive as they often take on more of the burdens of others more than they can bear. They know and appreciate people, and they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others.

Conflict

The twin attributes of insightful caring and organizational ability will mean that the ENFJ will see all the interconnections between people, pick up on the cues and work tirelessly to help solve people issues. They are an enthusiastic champion of people who wants to make sure that the needs of people are taken care of. They are excellent networkers who tune into people, and they are popular among their friends and colleagues. Articulate and confident the ENFJ will be persuasive and tenacious—the one voted the leader or committee chairperson. Everyone knows that they can depend on them as they will fight the cause of the people. They may bite off more than they can chew, as their first priority is to say ‘yes’ and take the pain away from other people. During such times they may feel weighed down, overwhelmed and under-appreciated.

Work

ENFJs will bring structure and impetus while at the same time making sure that the needs of all the people are taken care of. Often at the flipchart they capture ideas giving everyone the chance to contribute. They will assume the leadership role simply because they want to drive for closure and ensure that people are happy. They need to satiate their need for action and their passion for people. Naturally service-driven the ENFJ really does care and will want to apply this energy to tangible outputs, preferably that will help people. They need clarity, real meaning, a worthwhile output and closure. They love a plan, a clear picture of where they are going and they will work diligently towards the goal. Indeed the ENFJ will feel less comfortable with too many options open, as they need closure.
They focus on the organizational and people aspects and so are not primarily creative preferring to work on making sure that what has been agreed upon is properly planned and that people are happy. They are global learners and see the big picture. Their focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability. They are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs and not so much in the arena of time-management or structured logistics. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are very resilient. Possible career paths for the ENFJ include: facilitator, consultant, psychologist, social worker, counselor, teacher, clergy, sales representative, human resources, manager, event coordinator, sales representative, politician, diplomat, or writer.

Functional Analysis

• Extraverted Feeling (Fe) Dominant
  • Introverted Intuition (Ni) Auxiliary
  • Extraverted Sensing (Se) Tertiary
  • Introverted Thinking (Ti) Inferior
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through considerate, enthusiastic, and charming behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others. Dominant Fe is the primary focus and driver of ENFJs. Giving to other people dominants their life in much the same way that it does for ESFJs who share the same dominant Fe function. This causes them to be very generous, compassionate, caring, and self-sacrificial. They live to please others and need to be in meaningful relationships with others as they dislike being alone. ENFJs frequently neglect their own wants and needs at the expense of others as their fulfilment in life comes from pleasing others. They are the ultimate life coach who genuinely wants to help the people around them.
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths. The auxiliary Ni of the ENFJ gives them their vision and confidence. It allows them to see the big picture as they are continually looking forward and not concerned with meticulous details. They share this auxiliary Ni function with ENTJs, so both types are long-range planners with an eye towards the big picture in the future. Ni gives them remarkable insights (especially into other people due to their dominant Fe) that most other people miss. They may overlook important details or ignore views that conflict with their preconceived visions.
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action. The ENFJ shares tertiary Se in common with the ENTJ and as a result will tend to ignore physical realities around them. Their focus is on implementing their vision (Ni) to help other people (Fe), but their weakness is in dealing with where they are in the present moment. They may even discount the importance of the physical world around them. They also have a tendency to neglect their own bodies or appearance.
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency. Inferior Ti gives the ENFJ along with the ESFJ who shares the same inferior Ti function a drive to be logical. Oftentimes, they’ll think of themselves as deep, logical, analytical thinkers, but intensive problem-solving is typically a weakness for them. At times they’ll be very exact/definitive individuals, especially when under a lot of stress, but the norm for them will be an overlooking of the details and broad generalizations.

I know, I wasn't in the BEST mood to answer this quiz since I am going through a tough time with controlled assessments, relationships with other people in class and of course, my GCSEs. I answered these questions based on my behaviour at the moment and not how I normally am like. I know I can be really shouty these days but I'm not usually like this when exam time is over. If I took this test after my GCSEs but before I start doing AS and A levels, then I probably would have gotten a different result. On another test I took earlier I got some kind of NFJ, but again, I am not in the best of all moods.
I'm just waiting for these darned exams to be over and done with, so that I can gobble up my result paper on August 20 and prance all my way to the sixth form at my school (a private school!) :D

When I'm happy, or taking these tests away from exam periods, I usually score ENTP or ENFP. I usually do these tests based on my behaviour IN THE CURRENT MOMENT and now HOW I USUALLY AM. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To get INFJ for someone who thinks they are INTP is really strange. You would have to answer a lot of questions indicating Fe, which is the opposite of Ti. Really odd.

·
Registered
318 Posts
To get INFJ for someone who thinks they are INTP is really strange. You would have to answer a lot of questions indicating Fe, which is the opposite of Ti. Really odd.
To be honest , I am not sure at all I am an INTP. I usually test as INFP , INTP and INTJ but rarely as an INFJ

I will retake this test tomorrow

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I got INFP,

Some of the reasons why I disagree..
"It is essential to the INFP that their beliefs and actions are totally in sync." - Not essential to me.

"They typically accept others without question.." - It's not easy for me to accept people. In fact, It is one of my problems. I expect too much of them.

"Following tradition holds little appeal for the INFP; they prefer to do their own exploration of values and ideas and decide for themselves what seems right." - I quite like some traditions. I respect some of them, but I like t o challenge them at times as well.

"They have very strong beliefs of right and wrong, and when someone knowingly or unknowingly violates those values they get very upset." - I don't. What matters to me is the intention behind and the kind of pressure the person is forced to be in. If the person unknowingly commit a bad thing, they must be made aware. So there are some exceptions, I don't have VERY STRONG beliefs on them, but rather I'm quite aware of them.. and nor do I get very upset. In some cases, momentarily shocked, but overall I try to be understanding.

"very accepting of others" - nope, probably one of the reasons why I don't have plenty of friends, I'm not VERY accepting.

But hey, I may or may not have answered it as perfect as I could, there are times when I thought I am both of the choices as it depended more on the situation.

I like the format of the website, the kind of informations that it offers and how efficiently and easily they can be accessed. Say like the type comparisons. I tried out INFP vs INFJ, quite good, but I believe there are some inconsistencies~ INFJs can also become stubborn with their ideas and wanting to be understood especially when they believe that the idea is quite important for people to understand.

Also if I may add, "Logic isn’t the strong suit of either type, so it’s quite common for people who are INFPs or INFJs to be unable to type themselves correctly." Typing oneself does not depend solely on logic. One can find out their type in many different ways, and it is good to judge using their own strong references. INFx are great at introspection~ analysing not just what happened but also feelings. Ni and Fi would actually be very helpful with typing themselves.. not to mention their other 3 primary functions backing this up, and even especially when they're healthy.

EDIT: What got me to believe that I'm INFJ over INFP is the differing functions. In short, I am Fe than I am Fi. And I am very much Ni over Ne. Of course this is over-simplified, but you get the idea.

I commend you, however, on how close you got. It is not easy at all to type others through generalised questions and without being able to analyse personal responses, reactions, and motivations, as well as being un/healthy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got the result INTP. I am fairly confident I am an INTJ.

But if you are conducting a study, remember that famous example: just because ice cream sales and crime are higher in the summer, does not imply they are necessarily correlated. There are extraneous factors why some people may not be getting their type, including the possibility that people who are taking this quiz may be taking it after a stressful day or something of that sort. I can admit to that myself, which could provide for the misdiagnose.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts