Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what advice other INTPs have for finding a job you perform well in and enjoy. Any good strategies for finding a job and what qualities to look for to find a good fit.

Any tips for the sacred life defining paper of headlines (resume)?

Including your education/ field/ age may help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My best advice is this:

Make up a list of the ten things that matter most to you in a job. Now pick the top three from the list. Those are the three you focus on. In my case, they were freedom to move between projects, ability to work from home and set my own hours, and having an office with a door when I'm onsite. So I settled on a job that gives me that at the cost of a lower salary. I've had higher offers, but I would be miserable in a 9-5, polos-and-khakis cube farm. Figure out what *really* matters to you and go after it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My best advice is this:

Make up a list of the ten things that matter most to you in a job. Now pick the top three from the list. Those are the three you focus on. In my case, they were freedom to move between projects, ability to work from home and set my own hours, and having an office with a door when I'm onsite. So I settled on a job that gives me that at the cost of a lower salary. I've had higher offers, but I would be miserable in a 9-5, polos-and-khakis cube farm. Figure out what *really* matters to you and go after it.
^^ Did go to work within a field/job of your natural interests/passions or did you take your top 3 criteria and then go from there, settling with a job that is not very interesting to you yet allows you to: "freedom to move between projects, ability to work from home and set my own hours, and having an office with a door when I'm onsite" ??

·
Registered
750 Posts
Little bit of both. I started as a sysadmin, but ultimately wanted to end up in software development. I knew the company I was going to work for had clients needing both, so I figured eventually I'd be able to transition over (which I did about two years later).

To be honest, though, part of me wishes I'd just found a simple, boring job. Turning a hobby into a job means that now by the time I get home, I'm so tired of coding that I don't want to work on personal projects in my free time anymore.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@mwhite5990 - What hobbies do you like? What experiences do you already have? What type of logical subject(s) do you enjoy? (Math, philosophy, political, science [and what science?], etc.?)

As @sehvral pointed out, hobbies can be a bad choice, and for that very reason. However it is very dependent on the hobby, and how much intensity it involves.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was lucky to combine all my hobbies, interests and passions into one field which I like to call the "singularity". Once you find something that is fueled by your passion, your drive is relentless... I promise you.

I am 23 years old and I do User Experience development for software, workflow, systems thinking, brochures, etc.... I decided to be as general as possible because they needed someone like me to connect everything together. I speak the language of a software developer but also understand an artist (I do art in my spare time). I love bridging gaps. I am at a point now where I don't even need to apply for jobs anymore, they come to me and I haven't updated my resume in more than a year now. If I want a particular job, I can just call up someone I know and they can find me a suitable position (realistic of course). Do you know what my background is in.... Biochemistry. So your background is irrelevant in my opinion.

The way I work with people, I am brutally honest and I don't make a fuss about anything. I also don't care about credit, I just want the job done. I think for any position, INTP or not, you need to be confident. So I am a guy, I always wear a tie to meetings, prepare ahead of time and show that I am competent. INTPs are very curious, so always ask detailed questions whenever you get a chance, make the most out of your experience because you are there to learn.

With respect to finding a job, make sure you are in linked in! Don't be afraid to show your social media, be confident just don't be an idiot with what you post. Always carry business cards with you at all times. The key thing with finding a job is networking as you probably know, so try to find student groups or nonprofit sectors of your work to get experience and learn about the field you want to go in.

There is also a difference between a job and a career, find your career as a job doesn't define you.

I am curious what advice other INTPs have for finding a job you perform well in and enjoy. Any good strategies for finding a job and what qualities to look for to find a good fit.

Any tips for the sacred life defining paper of headlines (resume)?

Including your education/ field/ age may help.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I was lucky to combine all my hobbies, interests and passions into one field which I like to call the "singularity". Once you find something that is fueled by your passion, your drive is relentless... I promise you.

I am 23 years old and I do User Experience development for software, workflow, systems thinking, brochures, etc.... I decided to be as general as possible because they needed someone like to connect everything together. I speak the language of a software developer but also understand an artist (I do art in my spare time). I love bridging gaps. I am at a point now where I don't even need to apply for jobs anymore, they come to me and I haven't updated my resume in more than a year now. If I want a particular job, I can just call up someone I know and they can find me a suitable position (realistic of course). Do you know what my background is in.... Biochemistry. So your background is irrelevant in my opinion.

The way I work with people, I am brutally honest and I don't make a fuss about anything. I also don't care about credit, I just want the job done. I think for any position, INTP or not, you need to be confident. So I am a guy, I always wear a tie to meetings, prepare ahead of time and show that I am competent. INTPs are very curious, so always ask detailed questions whenever you get a change, make the most out of your experience because you are there to learn.

With respect to finding a job, make sure you are in linked in! Don't be afraid to show your social media, be confident just don't be an idiot with what you post. Always carry business cards with you at all times. The key thing with finding a job is networking as you probably know, so try to find student groups or nonprofit sectors of your work to get experience and learn about the field you want to go in.

There is also a difference between a job and a career, find your career as a job doesn't define you.
Very very very good advice from a 23 year old. Kudos for developing yourself so early, and being successful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you so much! :)

That really means a lot I promise you it was difficult to come this realization, it wasn't easy. Actually, let me share with you everyone the one tip I had to sort out what I wanted to do... I had a journal. I think like all INTPs, we need our recharge time and part of that for me is to write about my difficulties and observations. One day I was flipping through an old journal and realized my logs are so diverse in nature that I can never be an expert at one thing... but at the same time I also realized I like thinking globally. So big picture was my talent, but big picture involves everything!

So advice... keep a journal. Find your patterns, we INTPs are good at that.

Very very very good advice from a 23 year old. Kudos for developing yourself so early, and being successful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts