Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to sleep now, but this idea went through my head and maybe this is exactly what I want.

Do you guys have any obsessions or passion for something that leads to you creating something of value through it?

I Have a friend and she is obsessed with books, a certain show she loves and writes fan-fiction, which ends up in her slowly but surely becoming one hell of a good writer. She is passionate and obsessive about writing, which means she invests a lot of time and effort into this and the result is that she creates value. I feel that I need to find something that is in process the same as my obsession with personality for example.

If you have such similar things (not consumerism), want to share them here? How it came to be, why? Share the story?

Good night.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Well, since this is almost the same subject as I've talked about in the venting thread, I'll reply my view here.

I often have these sudden urges to do something excessively. I make up some kind of logic in my mind and start following it to the point of obsession. I don't recall how or why I started playing Megaman, but then came a day where I was surrounded by megaman theme things - it was all last week. I guess I have this thing for retro gaming and speed runs, and I think I saw a speed run on megaman and wanted to try playing the game. But i'm not sure. However, I like doing these things. I like surrounding myself with things I like sometimes, although I often go a great length to avoid people knowing how much I'm into something. And I like some stuff very much.

I always thought myself as a Sx-last subtype, but I think I have some decent relationship with this instinct. However, I also have some thoughts as it could be Sp instinct too. I feel like I'm often more stockpiling things of interest rather than consuming them. I'm the kind of person that, if I get interested in the first issue of a series, I'll buy the whole series just in case (I'm looking at you, Game of Thrones), but may never come to consume the whole content.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Pretty much the reason why I've started learning musical instruments. Always wanted to but never really had the incentive until now. Started out with drums, realising they're a little impractical right now despite their immense fun-ness, thinking about taking a 10-week beginners guitar course at my local music school.

I love finding an outlet for my bottled up emotions; seeing my innermost thoughts turn into something of value really satisfies me. I've done it with writing a few times but I often lack the determination and discipline to keep going with it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For a few years I became obsessed with graphic design and webdesign sorts of things. With the constant practice I became decent at it and considered turning it into a career. It never happened, though, but still something I do on my spare time occasionally and enjoy.

Unfortunately that is the only obsession/interest that I have held for more than a few months before getting bored. I bought a guitar back when I was in my teens and it is still sitting in a corner, unused.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
This will be interesting to think about: my passions and their potential value as something to apply practically.

Sex - well, so I like to write erotic fiction but I have learned that most of it is too disturbing as I have submitted some of it anonymously. Granted, some of it appeals to people but I get bored when it doesn't have my flair for making it extra wtf. Value in this? Can't think of any. More college, sex therapist. I hate school. Never wanna go back. Prostitute - naw. I got nothin.

Watching horror movies - Hm. I don't want to have anything to do with the film industry, again, I don't want to go back to college. Prop design? Not much of a visual arts person anymore. Scripts? Maybe we're onto something, but actually I have no connections so.. nah.

Exploring - when I was a kid I wanted to be an explorer, but thats not a very practical career option these days unless you're that lucky motherfucker Josh Gates. I have never had such career envy. He just travels around the world to check out any allegedly paranormal activity, which brings me to my next passion:

The Paranormal - and actually theres a market for things within this realm; shitty paranormal romance books for teens (I refuse.) I guess there are also like, guided tours of haunted places around october. Actually theres a lot of paranormal saturation these days and very little of its substantial. People probably prefer the fluffy shit to the substantial anyway - there I am shit outtaluck.

I'm just hemorrhaging optimism here.

Cursing is another passion - comedian? I can't get on stage in front of people, I hate being stared at period.

Cooking, gardening - I could just be a cool spooky housewife whos great at fucking.

I don't like where this is going.

I like swimming. I could be a shark....

I like drinking. Actually all things considered the only thing I'm cut out to be is charles bukowski, but he already filled that role, and then it killed him.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be interesting to think about: my passions and their potential value as something to apply practically.

Sex - well, so I like to write erotic fiction but I have learned that most of it is too disturbing as I have submitted some of it anonymously. Granted, some of it appeals to people but I get bored when it doesn't have my flair for making it extra wtf. Value in this? Can't think of any. More college, sex therapist. I hate school. Never wanna go back. Prostitute - naw. I got nothin.

Watching horror movies - Hm. I don't want to have anything to do with the film industry, again, I don't want to go back to college. Prop design? Not much of a visual arts person anymore. Scripts? Maybe we're onto something, but actually I have no connections so.. nah.

Exploring - when I was a kid I wanted to be an explorer, but thats not a very practical career option these days unless you're that lucky motherfucker Josh Gates. I have never had such career envy. He just travels around the world to check out any allegedly paranormal activity, which brings me to my next passion:

The Paranormal - and actually theres a market for things within this realm; shitty paranormal romance books for teens (I refuse.) I guess there are also like, guided tours of haunted places around october. Actually theres a lot of paranormal saturation these days and very little of its substantial. People probably prefer the fluffy shit to the substantial anyway - there I am shit outtaluck.

I'm just hemorrhaging optimism here.

Cursing is another passion - comedian? I can't get on stage in front of people, I hate being stared at period.

Cooking, gardening - I could just be a cool spooky housewife whos great at fucking.

I don't like where this is going.

I like swimming. I could be a shark....

I like drinking. Actually all things considered the only thing I'm cut out to be is charles bukowski, but he already filled that role, and then it killed him.
I know that at times like these I'm supposed to say something along these lines:

...but right now I think something like this is more appropriate:

Which doesen't mean exactly the same kind of twisted, but maybe its good to know others may have a similar level of a different sort. Ah...I'm rambling, its monday and the coffee isn't fully working again.

@Herp

Maybe you are sp/sx. Try it on for size.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

Which doesen't mean exactly the same kind of twisted, but maybe its good to know others may have a similar level of a different sort. Ah...I'm rambling, its monday and the coffee isn't fully working again.
This, yes; I cherish them. ^_^

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Herp:3969696 said:
Well, since this is almost the same subject as I've talked about in the venting thread, I'll reply my view here.

I often have these sudden urges to do something excessively. I make up some kind of logic in my mind and start following it to the point of obsession. I don't recall how or why I started playing Megaman, but then came a day where I was surrounded by megaman theme things - it was all last week. I guess I have this thing for retro gaming and speed runs, and I think I saw a speed run on megaman and wanted to try playing the game. But i'm not sure. However, I like doing these things. I like surrounding myself with things I like sometimes, although I often go a great length to avoid people knowing how much I'm into something. And I like some stuff very much.

I always thought myself as a Sx-last subtype, but I think I have some decent relationship with this instinct. However, I also have some thoughts as it could be Sp instinct too. I feel like I'm often more stockpiling things of interest rather than consuming them. I'm the kind of person that, if I get interested in the first issue of a series, I'll buy the whole series just in case (I'm looking at you, Game of Thrones), but may never come to consume the whole content.
This doesn't contradict Sx blind spot. And hoarding is very much relating to the Sp instinct. It would be silly if all Sx lasts are no more intense than robots, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
@FreeBeer

I'm generally more prone to agree with @Inguz. Sx isn't really my thing. I have to admit that I kind of thought that Sx-last was kind of robot like, I mean, I'm not really passionate about anything. It really comes and goes, too often, and I don' really bother to fight too hard for anything. I'm far more concerned about how I fit in society and how safe I am, so So/sp seems a better fit overall. Either that or Sp/So.

I'll stop derailing the thread from now on.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Writing for me. I wouldn't call it an obsession, though maybe others might? I'm not very good at doing enjoyable things in moderation. But it's definitely my passion and my joy, and it just feels right when I'm engaging in it. Which sucks, since my parents were always opposed to what I wrote. They're Christians who don't do well with the majority of fantasy, due to considering it witchcraft; they've... lightened up a little over the years, but not enough. I originally planned to major in English with a Creative Writing emphasis, since I might as well do something that I like and will learn valuable skills from if I must get a degree, but they expect me to stick to "literary" fiction, and that pisses me off. (Seriously, so-called "genre" fiction isn't automatically "less than" because it doesn't fit what a bunch of stuffed shirts have decided is "literary" material acceptable for academic settings.) I would learn useful rules and techniques, but I do not like writing about the mundane at all (it's too boring), so I don't bother with the classes. I wouldn't mind making money off of it some day, but I'm aware that it usually doesn't pay the bills unless you manage to make it big, so it's a hobby.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Writing for me. I wouldn't call it an obsession, though maybe others might? I'm not very good at doing enjoyable things in moderation. But it's definitely my passion and my joy, and it just feels right when I'm engaging in it. Which sucks, since my parents were always opposed to what I wrote. They're Christians who don't do well with the majority of fantasy, due to considering it witchcraft; they've... lightened up a little over the years, but not enough. I originally planned to major in English with a Creative Writing emphasis, since I might as well do something that I like and will learn valuable skills from if I must get a degree, but they expect me to stick to "literary" fiction, and that pisses me off. (Seriously, so-called "genre" fiction isn't automatically "less than" because it doesn't fit what a bunch of stuffed shirts have decided is "literary" material acceptable for academic settings.) I would learn useful rules and techniques, but I do not like writing about the mundane at all (it's too boring), so I don't bother with the classes. I wouldn't mind making money off of it some day, but I'm aware that it usually doesn't pay the bills unless you manage to make it big, so it's a hobby.
o.o hmm I don't like reading non fiction (its boring), you could always pursue it in secret. This is your passion and it is productive. :3 *thumbsup.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
o.o hmm I don't like reading non fiction (its boring), you could always pursue it in secret. This is your passion and it is productive. :3 *thumbsup.
I'd still be required to submit stories for class that fit their taste. That tends to stress me out, as they're taking what I love about writing out of writing, so I never know what the hell I'm going to be able to write.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Walking- I've been long distance walking since I was 14. I want to walk until I am an old lady. My legs are really strong as a result ( I did long distance run for 7 years). I used to do 250 pound weight repetitions with my legs. It really was no issue for me. I haven't lifted weights since I was about 17, but know my legs are still pretty strong. I am obsessed with walking. I will leave on a cold winter night at 11pm with the bone chilling winds, it takes about 2 or 3 hours for me to thaw out. I love nature and need it often to find my center. I also find walking to be meditative, to strengthen my lungs, and to keep my heart on track. Walking keeps me strong to do most of what I need to do in life.

Hiking- Same with walking. Just love to hike. There are some lovely places out there. I love the Olympic National Forest. It's just magical.

Cooking- I love cooking. I like making stir fries, soups, roasts, italian, and baking. I am so happy to be cooking again because I dislocated my shoulder and haven't been able to chop or lift pans, and so forth. I think home cooked is really good for you. I am not a snooty cook. I cook based on what I have and save old bottles of red wine and so forth. I like to make really hearty meals. On Sunday morning I sometimes make big breakfasts. I love cooking for others and don't want anybody to be hungry or thirsty while in my home. I want my own baking set up when I have the space.

Farm/Land/Acreage- I've wanted a farm since I was about 12. I used to love the farms on the yakima river when I used to float down on my intertube. I'd be under the hot sun, on the glistening river, and see the tall grasses, cabins, and such on the river. It just seemed like the most peaceful retreat. I want to enjoy every day and I think living somewhere beautiful makes it easy to enjoy the days and it makes the days seem longer. Where my parents live are some beautiful farms, and property. I care more about my land than my house. Though I want a decent/functional house the land is definitely what's important.

Gardening/Landscaping/Farming- I think gardens are so neat. Once you get them started it's really not too hard. It's all about consistency. I think of people who took care of 25 square miles (like I hear of grandparents doing this and such). I realize it just takes a bit of an effort each week. I want to think carefully about every aspect. I want to grow beautiful trees, hedges, fields with wild flowers, lavender, and I need some sort of water source. I know streams/creeks don't up the property value or taxes. I'd like to make little bridges, thinking spots, and ponds. I made a pond out of someone's hot tub they were going to otherwise throw away. It was so satisfying. People pay hundreds of dollars for shallow pond liner and I got an awesome one for free. I really enjoyed that project and want to build more stuff like that. :)

Music- I love poetry and music. I have written poems and I'd like to write lyrics at some point.

Motorcyles- It's an adventure. When I get a farm we will probably have a track. It takes a lot of balls and I love it. It's hard with the dislocated shoulder. I have to heal up and it's a bummer. I can't wait to get back on again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Eating - First off, I suck at cooking, but eating is great. I've begun to hone my skills in editing my boyfriend's food writing and describing taste and texture more effectively. It's been fun! He gets paid for his writing and I get to eat stuff with him, so I guess I am creating value indirectly?

Swing dancing - Been dancing for three years now with two years on my college group's executive board, one of them as president. Next up, I'd like to make a sick choreo and keep on working on solo jazz steps, follow variations, and leading. I freaking love teaching and DJing for swing dances as well!

Chinese - Currently working on learning how to communicate and read it better. Not really an obsession, but I really want to be able to travel Asia (Taiwan specifically, where much of my family is) without the horrible handicap of being illiterate.

Drawing - This has been a longtime hobby. I used to do commissions and such on a big online forum game thingy. Those are embarrassing days to think about, but they did really help my art skills, even if they're not anywhere near what I'd like them to be. I really want to get back into art, it's just hard to find motivation to work through how rusty I've gotten.

Playing clarinet - I miss this dang cylinder of loveliness! I want to learn how to jam, specifically swing and blues jamming. No idea how.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
I tend to do this except. With people? Its really unhealthy. I have a terrible habit of getting close to people then romanticizing them in my mind. Well its not really a habit. It only happened twice. But both times it ended terribly with me having to consistently remind myself "Their only human." But for a really long time a person was literally my only reason to live. And too be dependent on one person for a reason to live is really unhealthy.

My problem is I don't really have a passion for anything at all. Which is why I'm so generally depressed. And depression lead to drug use and alcoholism. I wish I could find a passion for something.

I recently took up drawing. I have a thing drawing really abstract art and I started creating this weird sort of murals. I'm not sure if it developed into a passion yet. But I really started to enjoy drawing abstract stuff and all the pictures I drew mean alot to me. Despite the fact I probably have no talent.

I also study culinary in school. I love cooking and I love the way flavors combine on a plate to create really good combinations. I find it really artful.

Reactions: Donovan

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
i don't have any hobbies. i used to draw and read a lot, but i've kind of fell out of it lately. i can't think of anything that i'm passionate about, either--other than whatever fantasy-land crap i create in my head.

really good music?
the kind that imbues a strong (usually dark) emotion, that can make a story all on its own once your mind hears it.

anything dangerous?
the other day my truck started making some really bad sounds, so i pulled over and had it towed. when the guy got there, he wanted me to turn it on so he could "diagnose" it (he was right btw). so, since my drivers-side door is broken from the outside, i had to climb up on the passengers side--and like a smart-one, i parked the car way too far on the right side. so i had the 1 1/2-2 inch lip to tip-toe on with 18-wheelers passing me by a few feet... not too thrilling, but something about that and other acts just really make me feel alive, almost like breaking a shell around yourself so you can feel whatever's around you--it's energizing.

outdoorsy stuff?
the other day i got a wild hair and decided to take off my shirt and shoes, roll up my jeans, grab some water, and just went on a 12 mile hike (i got some weird looks, but that's ok). there's something about the woods, and the endless trails that allow you to pace in one direction--as opposed to circles--where you can just keep moving and thinking, and hash things out.

scary things?
anything, really. i love being scared--movies, books, sounds in the woods, sloss furnace come halloween...

but, i don't think any of these qualify as hobbies... i'm usually just in my head for the most part, toying with my own imagination. i wish that i could put it to good use. maybe i'll finish some of the stories left over from my creative writing class (they're pretty dark though--the people in my class were like, "wtf!").

·
Registered
258 Posts

Photography. It is an obsession and one I've been self-taught. It leads into my OCD. I want to do it and do it well. And slowly but surely acquiring the equipment to be able to get the photos that I've been picturing in my mind's eye.

There's nothing more soothing to my 6w5 personality (that requires security) to go out and wander Serpentine Fen (where I created (my 4w5 side is screaming that I need to say "created") this above picture) and be at one with the birds and other animals.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
I'm channeling my love of the outdoors into mapping and describing the recreation areas in the state forest near me. There's plenty of info on the improved parks and such, but very little on all the campsites and swimming holes and areas of interest.

Though I don't know if I'd ever make it public. Don't want the secrets to get out, heh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts