Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After learning about MBTI, I’ve been constructing sentences as simple reminders for balance. The structure is simply “A, but B”.

For Te/Ti balance: Plan ahead, but be open to change.
For Fe/Fi: Do what I want, but only if it doesn’t hurt myself or others.
Se/Si: Eat boring healthy food everyday, but indulge in something tasty once a while.
Ne/Ni: Wander, but towards one direction.

T/F: Tell the truth, but gently.
S/N: Observe the physical world, but realize that reality is within me.

Does anyone else enjoy using MBTI as a balancing tool? What other examples can you think of with the “A, but B” structure?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think those are related to the functions.

If you want to live by those, by all means...

But I don't see the connection to MBTI or the functions.
It’s not about indoctrination, or words to live by. The point is to construct sentences with these structures, and experiencing joy from the balance created.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I use it similarly but with a couple of twists.
I see MBTI as an introspection tool that allows you to orient yourself and become well rounded. It doesn't matter if it is empirically reliable or "true" (it doesn't even need to be MBTI, even astrology works), the true function of the tool is to give you questions to ask yourself, and to give you an idea of how to become a well rounded person based on the traits you already show strongly.

By the same token it's also useful to get to know others. If your "Sign" or "Type" doesn't fit, exploring why or why not is useful introspection.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use it similarly but with a couple of twists.
I see MBTI as an introspection tool that allows you to orient yourself and become well rounded. It doesn't matter if it is empirically reliable or "true" (it doesn't even need to be MBTI, even astrology works), the true function of the tool is to give you questions to ask yourself, and to give you an idea of how to become a well rounded person based on the traits you already show strongly.

By the same token it's also useful to get to know others. If your "Sign" or "Type" doesn't fit, exploring why or why not is useful introspection.
It’s interesting that you also see it in fictitious things like astrology. Finding balance is so universal that everything points to it, even fantasy and concepts in our mind. We might think of our minds as something unnatural since we can imagine things that cannot be found in the external world, but it is as real if not more real than something physical.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After learning about MBTI, I’ve been constructing sentences as simple reminders for balance. The structure is simply “A, but B”.

Se/Si: Eat boring healthy food everyday, but indulge in something tasty once a while.

Does anyone else enjoy using MBTI as a balancing tool? What other examples can you think of with the “A, but B” structure?
You should focus on balancing your conscious function axes instead of balancing a conscious function with an unconscious one. For example, an INTJ like me should balance Ni/Se instead of Ni/Ne or Se/Si, and Te/Fi instead of Te/Ti or Fi/Fe. Ne, Ti, Fe, and Si only belong in the unconscious for an INTJ.

·
Banned
6,724 Posts
'But' is negative, another version of 'no'...nevertheless, notwithstanding, nonetheless.

The subconcious doesn't recognize 'no'. Say to yourself, 'I will not eat pizza for dinner' and all you think about all day long is eating pizza. As far as you your subconcious is concerned, you're thinking 'I will not eat pizza for dinner' and you'll either cave to it or dine accompanied by crushing disappointment. Better to think 'I will have a salad for dinner' if you want to skip all that cheesy goodness for some reason beyond me.

So the whole 'A but B' structure...better to think 'Plan to be foiled', etc.

Or better yet, 'Announcing your plans is a sure fire way to hear God laugh.'

MBTI is a crutch.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should focus on balancing your conscious function axes instead of balancing a conscious function with an unconscious one. For example, an INTJ like me should balance Ni/Se instead of Ni/Ne or Se/Si, and Te/Fi instead of Te/Ti or Fi/Fe. Ne, Ti, Fe, and Si only belong in the unconscious for an INTJ.
I think balancing the conscious and the unconscious is the step after balancing the conscious ones. It is a little more challenging because it feels like I’m wearing a mask. But, I can recognize the xNTJ in me, and I’m up for the challenge to make peace with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts

It was the opposite case for me.
Even before discovering MBTI, I was seeking to balance out my characteristics with the "A, but B" model. And I used to favour the B part heavily despite my discomfort.
However, upon discovering MBTI, I began to appreciate my A part, so nowadays, I don't make much of an effort to do the B part though I still favour it occasionally. So, I guess MBTI could be used as a balancing tool to your own balance.

I don't like using MBTI to know others, which is one of the reasons I don't read too much into it. I know that if I did, I would observe them for days before arriving at my conclusion. And when I do, I would start treating them accordingly.
I like to think of each individual as a mixture of different types, but having one of them predominantly. Which is why if my 'type' doesn't fit, I'll chalk it up to that and leave it.
Perhaps it's different for you, or the others, but that's how I know I would use MBTI as ,if I'm using it know others. Something in that sentence just didn't sit well with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts