Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fulfills you in a sustaining every day way? For example, I can find deep conversation fulfilling, but it is not lasting. And, I can't just live one conversation to the next.

I want to know if this contentment and wholeness can be found in an every day, all the time sort of way.

The other question which is on my mind (and don't feel like you have to answer both!) is HOW you knew what you were PASSIONATE about. Like, you just knew (sigh)? How. HOW. What were the signs of THIS is it? THIS is what makes me come alive. I don't think I've found that yet. I have moments of "oh, this fun" or "I enjoy this," but it is not this all-consuming amazing intense passion. So, I am very curious to know for those of you who have experienced this - who KNOW their passions - how this came to be.

(sorry for my ramble - I don't know if this is coming out clearly)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What fulfills you in a sustaining every day way?

The other question which is on my mind (and don't feel like you have to answer both!) is HOW you knew what you were PASSIONATE about. Like, you just knew (sigh)? How. HOW. What were the signs of THIS is it? THIS is what makes me come alive. I don't think I've found that yet.
It ties into the next question, but just life itself. Waking up every morning and taking that "Wow, I'm alive for another day" breath. Remembering that I was chosen to wake up another day, and others were not. It makes me feel excited, because it means I have yet to accomplish everything that I put my mind to! Anticipation sustains me every day, the feeling of anticipation.

I didn't just know. I'm a college student (and started early), but I was deadset on going into graphic design. Art was something I loved as a child. I was always drawing and sketching, illustrating little books I wrote, etc. I could spend hours alone with my art. And as I got more comfortable digitally, I would design webpages and fiddle around with HTML and edit photos / videos...I was sure that was exactly where I wanted to be.

The difference between this and my 'ultimate' passion (language), is that I didn't yearn to learn everything about everything. I was fine with just practicing on my own time, not striving to be the best I could be in it. I never went deeper into coding, or took art classes past middle school. Minor things that were a sign...it wasn't quite a fit for me.

I vividly remember the day I fell in love with language. I used to translate online with a group of people, and a new member of our group was exceptionally good at translating (*leaves out all technical jargon*). We got to talking, and he was pursuing a linguistics minor and had learned several languages. He gave me a lot of insight into my other love, and we would spend hours debating and conversing about multiple languages. I would wake up early to catch him before he went to sleep (we lived on opposite sides of the world), and spend hours translating with him, and learning the specifics of grammar, etc. This was the summer before I started college, and I was spending every waking moment that I could learning from him. That was when it clicked for me. I used to say that languages made my heart sing (they still do)!

The signs for me:
  • It's something I'll never get bored of. I'm excited every day to learn more (and about to head to class at that!).
  • I want to share the knowledge with others (whether in layman terms with my friends, or with other linguists)
  • This is something I want to do for the rest of my life (I'm shooting for applied linguistics, which allows me to use my skills in every day life, not just in academic setting, so my career will have many elements tied into them).
    [*]It never feels like work (I decided to pursue linguistics three years ago, and it's rarely been a task for me, and I'm always enthusiastic).
    [*]Others say I make it look easy (I'm still shocked when people tell me that "languages seem hard" or "grammar seems boring", because I've never had that experience at all. They see me as an everyday 'expert' and look to me for questions they have, or ponder things out loud knowing I will comment).

Oh, and another sign, I cut this immensely short and was ready to write a whole novel about it. I knew it was my passion because I could never shut up about the joy I find in it! :blushed:

Reactions: twirler

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
There’s no sense of fulfillment that is sustainable all day everyday. That’s one of those beliefs that leads to burn out a lot more quicker.

Cultivating a sense of fulfillment is important, but in my opinion, it’s equally if not more so important to learn to continue on with yourself and your life on the days that leave you feeling unfulfilled.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Passion everyday? I'd imagine it would make you psycho lol. HEEEY I'M PASSIONATE ALL THE TIME ALL DAY EVERYDAY YESSSSS JUST BREATHING FULFILLS ME OH MY GOD LOOK AT ME EVERYTHING I DO, TOUCH, TASTE, SMELL, I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW LIIIIIIIIIIFEEEEE!

Yea, psycho. Nobody can live a life in all caps all the time lol.

For me it's being intensely passionate in moments, and knowing I can be inspired to be that passionate again. Knowing it's an ability I have that can be used when I most need it, that makes me content, knowing I can be passionate when I'm inspired. Just having that ability to tap into it.

My passion has always been to bring my ideas to life, and the mediums I chose are animation and video games. That's it. I want what's in my head to be seen by others in very high quality, I guess since I haven't completed any of that yet I haven't gotten to the point where I don't feel fulfilled by it but that is what I want to do and not much else. Until I do that I'll probably keep trying to do that. Once I complete that I guess I'll have a new goal and new passion.

I imagine people like JK. Rowling and how she brought Harry Potter to life, and now she's done a new movie with The Fantastic beasts,
or the guy that made pokemon, or the guy that made dbz, or the guy that made star wars, avatar last air bender, or the guy that made teenage mutant ninja turtles, or spiderman, or lord of the rings, or Wreck it Ralph, or Mario, or Sonic,or Megaman, or... you get my drift, all that, I want to be up there with those, I want to make one, and I don't want to die before I do. I want something on the damn shelf! Something that people remember. I want to invite people into my inner world where they can play and explore and escape and say " Wow, who made this?" and look up behind the scenes videos of how it was made, what that person was thinking, what was their original intention for making it, how they come up with the idea, what inspired them. Since this is exactly what I do with the creators I love. I watch interview after interview trying to find out HOW DID THEY STOP BEING LAZY AND JUST DO THEIR FUCKING DREAM?! HOW?! lol, sorry. #type4shit #Seblindpsotlol

Some kid made a game that looks like Final Fantasy 15, all by himself, now he's bought by Sony to complete it. I need that kids blood I swear. All by his fucking self, god damn dude.

Ever since I was a kid I used to watch cartoons and draw my own version of it, I was always trying to put my spin on them, always trying to embed my ideas into the creations I loved. Everytime I played a video with the create your character option I took pride in making a character that looked like he fit into that world lol. This was always me trying create something of value that matched the things I loved, to really immerse myself into their worlds so much that I created an extension of my self to exist in their worlds. Like people who draw OCs, I didn't know until later that other people did this as well lol. And like a damn sponge I just soaked up all these things I loved and wanted to make my own world with the things I love occupying it, with my signature touch, my taste has been refined over and over and over again over the years and I want to express what I find awesome and create my version of one of these great fantasy worlds to see if it's good enough to be love by masses as well. I want to tell my stories, also because I'm becoming disappointed with what I see sometimes too, I'm always like, MAN THAT COULD OF BEEN WAY BETTER IF THEY DID IT LIKE.....I think it's time I do it like that instead of waiting on them.

That's my passion and that's how I know it's my passion, plus it's the one thing in my life I've wanted to do since I was a child that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
It ties into the next question, but just life itself. Waking up every morning and taking that "Wow, I'm alive for another day" breath. Remembering that I was chosen to wake up another day, and others were not. It makes me feel excited, because it means I have yet to accomplish everything that I put my mind to! Anticipation sustains me every day, the feeling of anticipation.

I didn't just know. I'm a college student (and started early), but I was deadset on going into graphic design. Art was something I loved as a child. I was always drawing and sketching, illustrating little books I wrote, etc. I could spend hours alone with my art. And as I got more comfortable digitally, I would design webpages and fiddle around with HTML and edit photos / videos...I was sure that was exactly where I wanted to be.

The difference between this and my 'ultimate' passion (language), is that I didn't yearn to learn everything about everything. I was fine with just practicing on my own time, not striving to be the best I could be in it. I never went deeper into coding, or took art classes past middle school. Minor things that were a sign...it wasn't quite a fit for me.

I vividly remember the day I fell in love with language. I used to translate online with a group of people, and a new member of our group was exceptionally good at translating (*leaves out all technical jargon*). We got to talking, and he was pursuing a linguistics minor and had learned several languages. He gave me a lot of insight into my other love, and we would spend hours debating and conversing about multiple languages. I would wake up early to catch him before he went to sleep (we lived on opposite sides of the world), and spend hours translating with him, and learning the specifics of grammar, etc. This was the summer before I started college, and I was spending every waking moment that I could learning from him. That was when it clicked for me. I used to say that languages made my heart sing (they still do)!

The signs for me:
  • It's something I'll never get bored of. I'm excited every day to learn more (and about to head to class at that!).
  • I want to share the knowledge with others (whether in layman terms with my friends, or with other linguists)
  • This is something I want to do for the rest of my life (I'm shooting for applied linguistics, which allows me to use my skills in every day life, not just in academic setting, so my career will have many elements tied into them).
    [*]It never feels like work (I decided to pursue linguistics three years ago, and it's rarely been a task for me, and I'm always enthusiastic).
    [*]Others say I make it look easy (I'm still shocked when people tell me that "languages seem hard" or "grammar seems boring", because I've never had that experience at all. They see me as an everyday 'expert' and look to me for questions they have, or ponder things out loud knowing I will comment).

Oh, and another sign, I cut this immensely short and was ready to write a whole novel about it. I knew it was my passion because I could never shut up about the joy I find in it! :blushed:

Damn, this is awesome man. I almost got a passion for language for a second loll.

Aer you shooting to be a hyper-polyglot?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Damn, this is awesome man. I almost got a passion for language for a second loll.

Aer you shooting to be a hyper-polyglot?
Haha, thank you!

Not particularly, though I’ve studied enough over the years to hit that mark. I have about six that I’m working on at the moment. :)

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I want to know if this contentment and wholeness can be found in an every day, all the time sort of way.
I do have that experience, and fortunately have had it for many years, except for a period of 11 months in 2016 where I fell into a depression, not severe, but still painful and confusing.
I found my way out of that hole by returning to my roots, which is a creative life + nature.
My experience of ongoing wholeness and contentment/happiness contains these ingredients:
1. An exquisite morning routine that I've had in place for fifteen years, and no matter what, come hell or high water, I always do my morning routine, even if I have to wake up at 4am due to work starting at 5'30.
2. Everyday creativity. I've never had a creative job, and I keep my creativity for my hobbies. Every single day I dedicate 2-4 hours to having alone time where I paint, draw, write, rearrange my home decor, make wood work, make jewelry, dream up a new creative project and start working on it, make zines, do journaling, make collages, make crafts, take photos outside, update my blog... the list is endless. Whatever I feel like doing, I'll do, it's me-time.
3. I have a simple schedule with 1-3 tiny tasks that give me a needed sense of structure. Like every INFP, I love spontaneity and shit, but too much lack of structure and lack of focus actually gives me anxiety. So in a daily calendar I have scheduled tasks that make me feel more "in control", but they're not super serious things, mostly they involve reading X number of pages from a book that is due to the library, doing certain house chores, and even calling my parents (if I don't write it down, I never call them). I like the feeling/tiny pressure of a book due to the library, instead of that lack of pressure when you own a book and nobody's waiting for it.
4. The study of something that interests me. Knowledge fills my heart up, gives me a rush of adrenaline, makes me feel fulfilled. The topic could be anything. Sometimes I study the Greek pantheon for two months, then switch to studying serial killers throughout history for a month, then get interested in quantum physics for three months...
I cannot exist without studying. And all INFPs are like this, we need constant mental stimulation.
5. Being in nature everyday for 5 minutes. This could be walking all the way to the forest if I have time, but if I'm too busy I just sit in my garden and look up to the sky and close my eyes and feel the wind or sun or whatever is happening. And I feel my presence in the scheme of the universe, I feel connected.

That's it really. My days are consumed with creativity, study & being outdoors, every single day. I go to sleep deeply satisfied with my life if those things are in place. Whenever I go through one of those creativity blocks, that's when my mental & heart healths suffer.

HOW you knew what you were PASSIONATE about.
By doing the activity.
I knew I loved writing because I would get lost in my stories from a very young age, and I would forget to eat.
I knew I loved painting because I experienced great joy doing it. My grandmother was a professional painter and she sold her work in the city. I watched her creations and she inspired me to try. As a teenager, I met a girl online who was also a painter and I admired her deeply. I had never tried the tools she used, beause my grandmother and mother taught me other tools, so I bought what the online friend used and tried it myself. I found myself getting lost in hours upon hours of painting and perfecting my own technique. I gave the whole thing my own spin, and it was great fun to see how my friend and I would create completely different works using the same tools.
I knew I loved socializing and networking when I decided to get comfortable in my own skin and socialize more. Hit jackpot. I became addicted to going out 3-4 times a week instead of once a month.
I knew I loved English (it's my 3rd language) because I would lose track of time self-teaching in my room with my dictionary, studying for hours and hours, not eating and forgetting the world outside. Then I would go online and practice what I had learned by interacting with native speakers on live chats. And I would again lose track of time practicing in the live chats.
The list goes on and on.
I made the choice to experience the things first hand, to test myself to see if I would enjoy the processes.

What were the signs of THIS is it?
1. The feeling: Having an intense, profound experience of myself.
2. Losing track of time. And forgetting to eat because I'm so absorbed in the task. When finally realising "Oh, I haven't eaten in 24 hours... I should probably feed this body.." I often cannot eat, physically can't, because it's like my soul and mind are so nourished that my body rejects food because I already feel like I ate a feast.
3. Inability to sleep at night because I'm consumed by my project/hobby/interest. Sometimes I crash in bed forced by the collapse of my own body that can't take any more working hours. But my mind isn't tired, my mind wants to keep going and never rest, and there's this war between mind & body, because my physical body can't keep up with my mind. This bit is quite frustrating and involves negotiating with myself. I have to think "Okay, body is exhausted, literally can't function anymore, you need to rest, it is LOGICAL that you need rest" and my other side of the brain screams "Nooo, you always ruin everything! You hold me back so much! I hate you!". Loooots of negotiating and patient self-talk *sigh*
4. I wake up in the mornings like a child on Christmas morning, eager to continue doing that hobby I had to leave yesterday due to exhaustion. Or eager to start a new one. They're all either creative projects or study projects.

When I have creative projects going on, I'm a total workaholic. I can't stop on weekdays, but it gets even more intense on weekends.
I wish I felt like a workaholic at a normal job, but I've never had any job that spoke to me in any shape or form. My hobbies are my source of ongoing, lasting happiness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What fulfills me is just things like close friendships, family, communities, nature, helping people, and making things that make people happy. To be honest, I think the idea that everyone has a unique passion that they'll discover that will change their life is a lie. I wish someone had told me when I was younger that it was about the little moments and things, not one big one.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,637 Posts
What fulfills me every day is stability. Then I can pursue what I like to do.

If I always have something to be naturally interested about, I'll feel fine. I'll follow it for days, and it leads to more and more things, and I'm just in a great state of curiosity and discovery. My "feeling" of passion is not euphoria, but restless curiosity(and that's pretty euphoric...).

I'm about to be a music teacher, but that's not (always) my passion. It's something I've worked hard for, and I'm skilled at it. It will not be boring, and it will change lives, and it's a great career for me. But that job is just good stability so that whatever I'm really passionate about can blossom.

I used to believe I wasn't passionate about anything because a passion is like this ultimate interest/destiny to other people, and often singular. I'm passionate about different things every day. And I have the stability to be alright with that.

My advice to someone who wants to find their passion/purpose is to invest in the excellent endeavor of having a skill. Practice. If you have something you can do well that you work to improve, you have stability. Then you can apply anything from that stable thing to anything new that you come across. Everyone needs to have a skill they feel comfortable doing. Humans can study the stars and try to learn the secrets of life and the universe, but we do it from the planet Earth.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Finding fulfillment took a lot of forging to find it. I used to fall down from mountain tops, but now I just gently roll down hills. I always felt somewhat content regardless of what I was doing, but now I'm very motivated to get up and perform.

I realized early on I wasn't a round peg for a round hole, but I think that's what kept me searching for something more. Even now, there are days I feel jaded, but I never reach a depth of depression, more just bump in the road.

The journey to find my passion? Hmm all I did was take a leap of faith, and while not an exact match, it is satisfying enough for me to overlook the missing pieces, and I often make up for that by doing other hobbies. It may not be one thing that meets all my desires, but it definitely checks a lot of ticks on the box. That is fine enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts