Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm shamelessly stealing this idea from the Gen Y forum. Who was the first celebrity you crushed on?

I remember it well... I was an avid reader, and was really into the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew mysteries. I was excited that a TV series was going to be made from the books. One day our local newspaper ran a story about the upcoming show, and included a picture of the stars - Parker Stevenson, Shaun Cassidy, and Pamela Sue Martin. (Can't believe I still remember their names!) Anyway, I took one look at Shaun Cassidy and I melted inside. Never had that feeling before, ever! I was 12 at the time. I had never been interested in teenybopper magazines before but all of a sudden I began devouring 16 and Tiger Beat so I could swoon over Shaun. I was a fickle one, though, and eventually developed crushes on Christopher Knight from The Brady Bunch, and various members of the Bay City Rollers.

Luckily I eventually outgrew them all! Nowadays I can't say I crush on anybody... though I wouldn't kick Matthew Rhys or Jim Caviezel out of bed for eating crackers...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Annette Funicello. I was so young that it took time to develop. I remember thinking "Why am I staring at her? I can't stop looking, weird." I thought I was creepy for being interested in a girl. :shocked: A few years later it was Susan Dey, Grace Slick, Katherine Ross & some I've forgotten.

Reactions: damfino

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
OK. This is a little embarrassing but I will confess to this.
When Michael Jackson was a boy, he was adorable. And he had a sweet voice.
I couldn't get enough of staring at Michael Jackson.
There.
I said it.
lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh geez, I do remember very well. Deputy Del Stark (Chad Everett) in The Dakotas. I was one smitten kitten. I was going to name my firstborn Chad or Del, my son would be horrified. :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Have you ever met any of these celebrities? How about an anti-crush? I was working in a ski town restaurant in about 1982 and a group of celebrities were there filming a Christmas special. They came to our restaurant, a really nice northern Italian place. It was BJ Thomas, McLean Stevenson, Tanya Tucker, and Leif Garrett. The first two were perfect gentlemen. As they arrived, I welcomed them to Cipriani's and asked if I could hang their coats. Leif Garrett sneered at me and said, "I'm already hung." I thought ok... whatever. After they were seated, a busser delivering water to the table accidentally dumped a whole pitcher of ice water right in Leif's lap. Oh he was pissed! I had to run to the kitchen because I didn't want to laugh out loud in front of the whole room. The busser asked me why I was laughing. He was horrified at what he had done until I told him what the dude had said just moments before. Then we both had a good laugh.

So after they left, Leif and Tanya went to a bar where my roommate worked. Tanya kept calling her Blondie even as she introduced herself as Karen. She handed Karen a cassette tape of her own music and demanded that Karen play it as long as they were there. Every time she wanted a drink, she yelled "Hey Blondie! Get over here!"

We were so glad when they left town. I never wanted to meet another celebrity again.

In the sixties I liked the pop/folk singer Melanie. That annoying song about the roller skate key just tickled me to death. Her other songs were socially conscious and actually had an influence on me. I didn't go for the idol types.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love "Brand New Key" too. It's one of those songs that makes me smile.

Really cool stories @telepariah! I meet celebrities through my job, and some of them are really nice, normal people, and some are jerks. Unfortunately I can't share my stories in a public forum.

Were the celebs in town for one of John Denver's Christmas specials?

Reactions: telepariah

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you ever met any of these celebrities? How about an anti-crush? I was working in a ski town restaurant in about 1982 and a group of celebrities were there filming a Christmas special. They came to our restaurant, a really nice northern Italian place. It was BJ Thomas, McLean Stevenson, Tanya Tucker, and Leif Garrett. The first two were perfect gentlemen. As they arrived, I welcomed them to Cipriani's and asked if I could hang their coats. Leif Garrett sneered at me and said, "I'm already hung." I thought ok... whatever. After they were seated, a busser delivering water to the table accidentally dumped a whole pitcher of ice water right in Leif's lap. Oh he was pissed! I had to run to the kitchen because I didn't want to laugh out loud in front of the whole room. The busser asked me why I was laughing. He was horrified at what he had done until I told him what the dude had said just moments before. Then we both had a good laugh.

So after they left, Leif and Tanya went to a bar where my roommate worked. Tanya kept calling her Blondie even as she introduced herself as Karen. She handed Karen a cassette tape of her own music and demanded that Karen play it as long as they were there. Every time she wanted a drink, she yelled "Hey Blondie! Get over here!"

We were so glad when they left town. I never wanted to meet another celebrity again.

In the sixties I liked the pop/folk singer Melanie. That annoying song about the roller skate key just tickled me to death. Her other songs were socially conscious and actually had an influence on me. I didn't go for the idol types.
I enjoyed reading your contribution to this post. Your story pretty much supports my brain's views that on most levels, not all but many, members of the star herd have an obnoxious reservoir of narcissism. I once spent a short time in an elevator with Brian Dennehy (eons ago). We traded pleasantries nothing more. But soon as he exited on his floor, the alley cat in me surfaced, and I had one of those OH YES moments. Shallow, superficial but so much fun to entertain a naughty thought or two.

And guess what is my head --- "Well, I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key..." :)

Reactions: telepariah

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
My parents once got in an elevator with Quincy Jones in my brother's apartment building. That must have been cool. Even cooler was that they knew Isaac Asimov. He was their professor in medical school.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
I had the opportunity to be in the chorus of three operas in Buffalo and there were "real" professional opera singers playing the leading roles. They were as entertaining in person as they were on the stage. When we did Tosca, the guy who played the villain Scarpia (who got murdered by the diva soprano, just as he was attempting to seduce her... that no good lecherous creep who got what was coming to him)... well he autographed my program and added, for good effect, a bloody thumbprint (the character got stabbed). The soprano was funny. She was very nice but she was such a prima donna! There was no end to the entertainment when it came to professional opera singers.
The experiences of being in operas (Tosca, Turandot, and Aida) really got me enamored with opera.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After she retired in 1989, my mom moved to St. Thomas and got a job with a travel agency. One of her responsibilities was picking up folks at the airport and depositing them at their resort. One day she was on the phone with my brother, and started telling him about one of her customers. "Very nice man, with a nice family," she said. "He was British, and a musician, I guess. He only goes by one name, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is." My brother asked, "Was it 'Sting'?" "YES, that's it! What a nice young man!" My mom had NO CLUE who he was.

A few years later she was visiting her best friend in Memphis. The friend took her to a reception, and my mom struck up a conversation with a man she met there. Later when she was telling me about her trip, she asked me, "Is there something called the 'Titans' in Memphis?" "That's the football team," I told her. "Well, I had the most delightful time with the coach. Handsome strapping young man. I can't for the life of me remember his name." "Was it Jeff Fisher?" I asked. "YES, that's it! What a nice young man!"

Later, in Memphis, she was taking a walk in her friend's neighborhood and met a young woman and spent an hour chatting with her. The young woman turned out to be Johnny Cash's daughter in law.

My mom has absolutely no interest in sports, pop culture, etc. but she always manages to meet the most interesting people!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damfino -- what a marvelous share!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correction - my mom met Jeff Fisher and young Mrs. Cash in Nashville, not Memphis. I flunk Tennessee geography.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My celebrity crush/celebrity encounter story is strangely related.

The first celebrity crush I can remember was when I was about 9 years old. It was Davy Jones of The Monkees. He was just sooooo cute!! (I did notice he was short, a lifelong unreasonable and thoroughly indefensible prejudice I have against men... probably because I am tall -- but at the time, it didn't matter.) I quickly moved on to others. Many others.

So maybe 15 years ago, I lived in a boutique-ey little coastal area of California that was often frequented by the Rich and Famous. I'm one of these people who never realizes I'm in the presence of celebrity, so I can't tell you how many close encounters I may have had. But this one day, I was on my lunch break and hurriedly trying to buy a birthday card at the local Hallmark store. There was the oddest couple blocking my access to the funny cards (the only ones I want!). She was a tall, stunning, blonde. He was short, but cute in his way. Still, he dithered and dithered over his choice, browsing endlessly. I hopped with obvious impatience from foot to foot, but he simply didn't notice my angst. Finally, I rudely shoved my way in between him and his beautiful woman, snatched the card I'd been eying, called it good and fled for the cash register. There, the cashier hissed at me: "Do you know who that is??" Me: "No, should I?" Her: "That's DAVY JONES, of The Monkees!!"

He really was short.

A couple years later, I was meeting my parents at an unfamiliar (to me) restaurant in Malibu... trying to navigate my way through a treacherous parking lot. I inadvertently made an illegal left-hand turn in front of an oncoming truck, which was moving slowly, but the driver still had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting me. My mistake entirely. When the driver made eye contact with me, I made frantic gestures of apology. He grinned widely -- and at that moment, I realized it was Dennis Quaid. He was very sweet about it! I had to stop staring so I could move my car and get the hell out of his way. He just grinned the whole time.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
@Raeven, since I am five feet tall, I get gleeful about men who are short. They are rarely shorter than me. It is nice to talk to a short man because I don't get whiplash from trying to look at his face, lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got back from vacationing with my mom. Here is an example of how out of touch she is:

Mom: "That Mick Jagger sure was an unattractive fellow."
Me: "Still is, Mom. He's not dead yet."
Mom: "Really? I thought he was. Paul McCarthy is another one I always thought was ugly."
Me: "It's Paul MCCARTNEY, Mom."

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
LOL, your mom is a regular Mrs. Malaprop in the world of music.

Just got back from vacationing with my mom. Here is an example of how out of touch she is:

Mom: "Really? I thought he was. Paul McCarthy is another one I always thought was ugly."

·
Registered
16 Posts

ROFL, those are hilarious!! Your mom sounds like quite the character, for sure!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
For me, I had a lot of TV crushes: Mike N in The Monkees and David Soul in Here Comes the Brides and . . . another Cassidy . . . David C in The Partridge family.

But my first BIG crush, where I actually bought a scrapbook and saw every movie he was in starting with Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid, was Robert Redford.:blushed::tongue:

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Oh My Mom and I both had a big crush on Robert Redford, lol!
There's nothing like sharing your crushes with your mother.
hahaha!!!!

For me, I had a lot of TV crushes: Mike N in The Monkees and David Soul in Here Comes the Brides and . . . another Cassidy . . . David C in The Partridge family.

But my first BIG crush, where I actually bought a scrapbook and saw every movie he was in starting with Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid, was Robert Redford.:blushed::tongue:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts