Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Ji supremacy
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my gym membership about two weeks ago, haven't been back to exercise since then. I need to be informed before I go in. Some things that I would like to know:

Gym etiquette
What I need to bring with me
What I should wear
How long can I stay?
What should I do first? (I want to lose weight)
What alternative to the above if the machine is already in use?
What can I do to make myself feel confident at the gym?
Off peak times????

That's all I can think of at this moment.

Thank you for your help.

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
Just go and get started, don't overthink it. You will learn. Later on these things will be more important but for right now, just get started, and if you don't know how something works, just ask.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
maybe you would be a good fit for a gym class and the instructor will tell you exactly what to do ...nothing wrong with that... some people need that kind of structure. I know I prefer it that way too ...it's nice to get a break from my own decision making process and just do the thing.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
Do cardio at least 30 mins and only light weights cause it will hurt very bad if you go hard (and it might be dangerous for injury). You could also chat up with the trainers, see if they can make you a personal program for the machines and see what group programs exist, ask which ones are for beginners etc. Group programs are great when you are a newbie and dont want to decide what to do, but for me I had to get accustomed to the gym first cause I was too shy. I'd recommend staying 1 hour up to 2 if you are slow and you don't need to be quick atm, technically there's no limit of course.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Gym etiquette
Wipe down the machines after use or if you KNOW you sweat bring a towel or shirt to catch some of that and wipe down the machine. Put the wights back after you are done.

What I need to bring with me
Bring yourself and a towel? I'd recommend stretching before you workout and after you workout to avoid injury

What I should wear
Comfortable cloths. Don't go wearing a speedo

How long can I stay?
Get in, do ya work out and get out.

What should I do first? (I want to lose weight)
Hit the treadmill as I think cardio is what people do. Start with a mile, or less, and give yourself a reasonable time. Challenge yourself but be realistic.

Likely there will be an entire section with cardio type machines so of which are low impact just in case your joints are bad

What can I do to make myself feel confident at the gym?
By being confident in general. You are there trying to get better and everyone has to start somewhere.

Off peak times????
Depends on when people aren't working the typical 9:00AM to 5:00PM. Basically if people are not at work expect the gym to have more traffic

I was going to the gym for about a month with a friend before I transitioned to my current gym.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Gym etiquette
It depends on the gym's targeted clientele or the gym's atmosphere.

The etiquette varies, although the list below is for typical commercial gyms.

• Wipe the equipment after you're done using (it's mostly ignored and many don't care if you don't sweat enough)

• If you need to go drink water or bring weights, leave a towel where you're training, in order to indicate to others that you haven't finished using the equipment

• Share the equipment if asked to alternate (while he's resting, you train, and vice versa)

• Don't keep equipment busy for an extended period of time, keep your rest-time reasonable

• Don't wear perfume, especially in an environment where breathing has more utility/significance

• Don't smell repulsive, for the same reason as above

• Don't talk on your cellphone, as it's seen as inconsiderate or oblivious

• Don't drop your dumbbells, try to be as quiet as reasonably possible

• Don't grunt, try to be as quiet as reasonably possible

• Don't use any equipment for any exercise (ex: don't use the squatting rack to do barbell curls)

• Don't eat on the training floor

• Use clean clothes

• Don't use loud music

• Don't fill your water bottle while someone is waiting to drink (within reasonable limits)

You can choose to not follow them, you won't necessarily be kicked out, but you'll likely be seen as unpleasant.

In some circles, doing so can have the reverse effect, where you'll be seen as too sophisticated for the gym.

Imagine the movement you're doing, and try to imagine what can emulate it with any other equipment.

It's a vague instruction, but it can guide your idea.

Given the function of every muscle, every movement has certain purpose in contracting a part of the body in a certain way; you can apply that reasoning to find parallels, with adjustments if needed.

·
Registered
Ji supremacy
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends on the gym's targeted clientele or the gym's atmosphere.

The etiquette varies, although the list below is for typical commercial gyms.

• Wipe the equipment after you're done using (it's mostly ignored and many don't care if you don't sweat enough)

• If you need to go drink water or bring weights, leave a towel where you're training, in order to indicate to others that you haven't finished using the equipment

• Share the equipment if asked to alternate (while he's resting, you train, and vice versa)

• Don't keep equipment busy for an extended period of time, keep your rest-time reasonable

• Don't wear perfume, especially in an environment where breathing has more utility/significance

• Don't smell repulsive, for the same reason as above

• Don't talk on your cellphone, as it's seen as inconsiderate or oblivious

• Don't drop your dumbbells, try to be as quiet as reasonably possible

• Don't grunt, try to be as quiet as reasonably possible

• Don't use any equipment for any exercise (ex: don't use the squatting rack to do barbell curls)

• Don't eat on the training floor

• Use clean clothes

• Don't use loud music

• Don't fill your water bottle while someone is waiting to drink (within reasonable limits)

You can choose to not follow them, you won't necessarily be kicked out, but you'll likely be seen as unpleasant.

In some circles, doing so can have the reverse effect, where you'll be seen as too sophisticated for the gym.

Imagine the movement you're doing, and try to imagine what can emulate it with any other equipment.

It's a vague instruction, but it can guide your idea.

Given the function of every muscle, every movement has certain purpose in contracting a part of the body in a certain way; you can apply that reasoning to find parallels, with adjustments if needed.
Thank you very much!

I have actually been following most of these already. I did wear a used shirt though and it didn't smell good at all so I won't do that again. I should have steam ironed it at least to eliminate the odor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts