Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about how first impressions mean a lot... And even though you really shouldn't judge someone on a first impression... What about during an interview, where you have to bring your A game and really impress... This all popped into my head because I'm nearly positive that my ex has lost his job now. And quite frankly, his appearance at the moment isn't all that great. So....

During an interview, do you think it is more likely that an employer will take the person who appears more clean cut than someone that maybe seems a little sloppy? See, my ex currently has a beard, but he doesn't really keep it trimmed and nice looking. Whereas, I've seen some guys who have really good looking beards going on. I just have a hunch that even if the more clean cut guy was less qualified that they are going to have a slight edge over the other guy just on their appearance.

I don't agree with first impressions, but I can kind of see where during an interview they are a large part of the deciding factor... I mean, if someone came to an interview and didn't bring their best look, are they really going to bring their best look to their first day of work? At that point they feel they've already "impressed" the employer enough and got the job, they don't have to work as hard to get the foot in the door...

I don't know... I've only been in on a handful of interviews, and I know the woman on the hiring committee with me during one of them seemed really big on appearances... She didn't even take notes after seeing what one of the guys came in wearing... What do you guys think? A clean cut person more like to get the position over someone a little more casual in appearance?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You should dress a little better for the interview than you would for the job you're applying for. It is assumed that you will put 110% effort into getting in the door, and if your 110% isn't that great then it doesn't say much for your on-the-job performance.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
During an interview, do you think it is more likely that an employer will take the person who appears more clean cut than someone that maybe seems a little sloppy?
In general, yes, but this can vary depending on the kind of job one is applying for. You shouldn't look too clean cut/severe when applying for something that requires you to be informal and approachable.

·
mafia mod
13,333 Posts
The more clean cut guy and gal will have an edge. While we may not like the idea of judging people based on first impressions, its a fact when it comes to hiring. Hiring isnt something objective, but subjective. You may have the resume of Bill Gates, but if you dont look and present yourself well, then forget it. Its a sales pitich and you are selling yourself. Make the product look great

·
Registered
310 Posts
The thing about interviews is that they have maybe 20 people who are all qualified coming in, and they have to distinguish them based on something without wasting a lot of time. Of course first impressions are going to be a big deal, and little things that are ultimately inconsequential will be deciding factors.

From the interviewer's standpoint, you don't want the job enough to trim your beard or wear nice clothes for the interview. The appearance of your beard may have absolutely nothing to do with how well you could do the job, but the apathy or lack of social awareness it signifies could become a problem, so they will go with one of the equally qualified people who did show up looking professional and groomed. Once you build a reputation for yourself you can be judged by your work, but until then you have to be prepared to be nitpicked.

I don't think you have to follow all the career guide interview rules to a T, though. I've made some mistakes when I was clueless about interviewing and still gotten the job. Ultimately it's all about presenting yourself as someone who makes the office a more pleasant place to be (both by being nice and positive, and by being hardworking and helpful).

·
Banned
123 Posts
First impressions are blind sights waiting to happen. Everyone fakes their first impression. Second, third, fourth impressions that is where you find who a person is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts