Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open to all types really but what are people's usual first impressions of you? What first impressions of you have caught you off guard? Do these impressions normally hold up?

What are usually your first impressions of ENFPs? Do those impressions evolve over time?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been told I'm wise, but I have so much self-doubt it goes to deaf ears. I don't think it's wisdom, I'm just not hugely judging and see the good in everybody.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Open to all types really but what are people's usual first impressions of you?
That I'm reserved and traditional.

What first impressions of you have caught you off guard?
That I'm reserved and traditional.

Do these impressions normally hold up?
No. They keep trying to make them work, [in TV announcer voice:] with hilarious results!

What are usually your first impressions of ENFPs?
That they're free-spirited, humane, and often creative people.

Do those impressions evolve over time?
No, because ENFPs are free-spirited, humane, and often creative people.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Usually people see me as friendly, but I was surprised when 2-3 friends of mine told me they first thought I was rather impressive and they didn't really dare approaching me at first :idunno: I don't know why, I smile a lot and do nothing to appear impressive whatsoever.
Also, people quickly see me as an independant person. Some of my college teachers noticed that and encouraged me to stay bold. It might come from my enneagram wing 8.

I see other ENFPs as fun, passionate people who immediately inspire me sympathy and trust, it's instant friendship.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention the weird shyness I get at first, then when I feel safe to be myself you better get ready for the randomness to begin...but I can also be dead serious on emotional stuff. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been told that I am lovely...but very intimidating :thinking: I do not know why as I am not particularly tall and spend most of my non-professional day with a smile on my face that very easily tips into laughter. I go out of my way to be friendly to people because you never know when a smile will be just what someone needed. So I have never understood 'intimidating' which is commonly used to describe me in both my friendships and previous romantic relationships.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have been told that I am lovely...but very intimidating :thinking: I do not know why as I am not particularly tall and spend most of my non-professional day with a smile on my face that very easily tips into laughter. I go out of my way to be friendly to people because you never know when a smile will be just what someone needed. So I have never understood 'intimidating' which is commonly used to describe me in both my friendships and previous romantic relationships.
Loveliness or, um, handsometude, can be intimidating in and of itself. I can be so awestruck by a person's attractiveness--and not necessarily conventional attractiveness, but attractiveness to me--that I can have to re-boot myself a few times to get my systems running.

Or it could be the bandoleer you wear. It makes people fret.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Open to all types really but what are people's usual first impressions of you? What first impressions of you have caught you off guard? Do these impressions normally hold up?

What are usually your first impressions of ENFPs? Do those impressions evolve over time?
It hugely depends on the social situation. I act differently in different settings, and it seems to give people wildly varying initial impressions of who I am. I've been told I have an intimidating... animalish walk. Whatever that means. My height probably doesn't help with that. I suspect I sometimes have an irritated-looking neutral face too, so people who meet me in a random public situation without introduction may be concerned about me eating their baby or something. I have no idea.

·
Registered
ENFP 3w4 359 sp/sx
1,411 Posts
I definitely come across as a little "out of it"; resent admitting it, but cold and a bit airheaded. When people actually talk to me, though, they find a confident, relaxed, and kooky person. They're generally taken aback when I bring up what I've been doing (caverns of offbeat hobbies). The two traits that constantly get pointed out are my supposed intelligence and "maturely kind" demeanor. Not to flatter myself though. Ugh, people are vexed with my lack of empathy and ignorance of minor social cues all the flipping time. :dry:

The two other ENFPs I know appear considerate, enthusiastic--a pleasure to have around. They're both viciously talented, but perhaps stretched thin over multiple creative outlets. Hmn...is this a pattern?? I can see how they might be draining to some of the more reserved types, though.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I used to get such a varied picture from people when I was younger on this.
And I used to worry way too much about this question too. Probably due to feeling misunderstood, maybe? Maybe because of the varied response.
I actually am working on the idea that it's not my business to worry about what they think.
Anyway, I just trust that people figure it out now. I communicate a lot better than I used to--- and even this year I think I'm doing so much better than last year.
I made a controversial point in a room full of doctors the other day. At the end of the meeting I went up to the doctor in change and said, "I hope that was okay. I had to say what I thought."
He said, "I think we need you so badly in this community, you can say whatever the hell you want, anytime."

This is only a cool story if you knew how shy and sometimes down on myself I can sometimes be and used to be at a much larger % of the time. Also.... I still needed to know that I was okay saying what I do! (Not that grown-up, huh?) But what a positive response!
But it is a celebration for me. And I think I needed to remember it today.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Open to all types really but what are people's usual first impressions of you?
• it depends on which group setting and environment I'm in and it also depends on the individual I'm interacting with

Most people in real life finds me calm, laid back and sweet

Introverts ( social introvert not mbti) often find me calm, pensive , soft spoken and introverted- they're often shocked to find out that I have a lot of friends or that I'm not shy - I tend to send a very comforting vibe ( even the shyest of introverts feels comfortable around me)

Extroverts( social) tend to see me as the life of the party- I run around poking fun at everyone- and banter a lot, I'm very social in social setting - I laugh at everything and with everyone , I suggest and execute many ideas and plans on what to do /play -

I notice that I'm more whimsical and outgoing with guys and I'm more pensive , sweet and observant with girls ( it's unintentional but I act very different around my guy friends than with my girl friends more so first impression wise, both are me at my most comfortable state )

What first impressions of you have caught you off guard?

My favorite one was when I got mistaken for a ghost that floats around at night

☆ Cold and aloof

☆My infj ex finds me intimidating and exciting to be around. No clue why - I'm very calm and mellow , more so around him bc he was very shy . However when he told me that his first impression of me was that I made him nervous - it amuses me - I've never intimidated anyone

Mysterious ( been told by many) this caught me off guard because I'm an open book - I don't hide anything about myself

The worst one- sad , melancholy and fragile but tries to be happy ( often from guy friends who crushed on me)

Do these impressions normally hold up?

☆ No I'm not a cold person so it's just odd first impression guess

☆With my infj ex : No - the moment he asked me out he was extremely comfortable around me , eventually he became extrenely extroverted and animated around me

☆My best friend- my mom and my husband say that I have an odd mysterious vibe to me - no clue what they meant by that , but I'll take it as a compliment

☆Yeah that sad melancholy was only first impression - and I absolutely hate to be view as sad or fragile bc it kinda goes against who i am internally . I guess my image appears fragile( im very thin and pale) hence they assume I'm fragile

What are usually your first impressions of ENFPs?

I've never met one in real life - online I find some very bubbly and enthusiastic- some loud and blunt and many articulate and laid back and a few damsel in distress that annoys me to no end . I haven't met an enfp that is similar to another enfp yet

Do those impressions evolve over time?
Yeah course- the bubbly ones bc more pensive , the loud and blunt ones seem more articulate- damsel in distress still annoys the hell out of me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@HappyHeart @sylvirfoxx @ai.tran.75

It's interesting how you all mentioned 'intimidating'. I was just reading a thread in the INFP corner before I posted this about whether an INFP can ever come across as intimidating... the general consensus was "No, not unless they come across as insane". Is it the same for us?

I think I've come across as intimidating but it's more like how @mangosloth put it: "impressive". Which flattered me to no end that someone was scared to approach me because they thought I was too cool... Hah! It's been admitted a couple of times.

I've come across as overbearing at times by the more introverted (mostly) sensors. Which I think comes across more like that deranged idea they mentioned in the INFP corner. I've since learnt how to put a leash on Ne so not to scare those people away... but sometimes I can't help it and it sets itself loose.

But like @ai.tran.75 said, extroverts bring out the loud and obnoxious side often, whilst introverts normally get the wallflower and calm experience from me.

I've been seen as "mysterious", "meek", "insane" and "charismatic". The first two bother me the most. Insane I take as a compliment.

·
Registered
179 Posts

It's interesting how you all mentioned 'intimidating'. I was just reading a thread in the INFP corner before I posted this about whether an INFP can ever come across as intimidating... the general consensus was "No, not unless they come across as insane". Is it the same for us?

I think I've come across as intimidating but it's more like how @mangosloth put it: "impressive". Which flattered me to no end that someone was scared to approach me because they thought I was too cool... Hah! It's been admitted a couple of times.

I've come across as overbearing at times by the more introverted (mostly) sensors. Which I think comes across more like that deranged idea they mentioned in the INFP corner. I've since learnt how to put a leash on Ne so not to scare those people away... but sometimes I can't help it and it sets itself loose.

But like @ai.tran.75 said, extroverts bring out the loud and obnoxious side often, whilst introverts normally get the wallflower and calm experience from me.

I've been seen as "mysterious", "meek", "insane" and "charistmatic". The first two bother me the most. Insane I take as a compliment.
I never come across as overbearing or intimidating at first because I know I easily can, so I normally dull myself down with someone new untill I'm comfortable to be a flying unicorn that shoots lazers.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never come across as overbearing or intimidating at first because I know I easily can, so I normally dull myself down with someone new untill I'm comfortable to be a flying unicorn that shoots lazers.
I understand that, but sometimes my friends make the mistake of introducing me as one in the group of 'weird' friends and so I accept that as an invitation to be weird... aparently it's not, not really. People are still not prepared for that.

Reactions: Zhiqua

·
Registered
562 Posts
Exactly ! I've been told I looked "too cool", which obviously sounds like a compliment to me :cool: but I don't want people to be afraid to be judged or whatever, I really don't rank people by their looks, even though I do appreciate style and eccentricity in others.
I see you quoted Bowie in your signature, hehe to me this man is the definition of cool, the perfect mix of cool and weird !

Yeah I've never seen an intimidating INFP, but my best friend is so introverted that he can appear mysterious and he always looks like he's frowning, deeply thinking about something. Once people talk with him they realise he's very laid back and nice :proud:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly ! I've been told I looked "too cool", which obviously sounds like a compliment to me :cool: but I don't want people to be afraid to be judged or whatever, I really don't rank people by their looks, even though I do appreciate style and eccentricity in others.
Exactly my sentiment.

I see you quoted Bowie in your signature, hehe to me this man is the definition of cool, the perfect mix of cool and weird !
Not a bad idol for an ENFP, huh? I don't know why he doesn't come up more in the ENFP celebrity lists (he's gotta be one of us, right?). Yeah, that quote just summarised what's been going through my head right now, it's reasuring knowing the same thoughts went through his head.

Yeah I've never seen an intimidating INFP, but my best friend is so introverted that he can appear mysterious and he always looks like he's frowning, deeply thinking about something. Once people talk with him they realise he's very laid back and nice :proud:
Most INFPs I know (or is it all I know?) look like their minds are away with the fairies, they all subtly dress like they belong with the fairies too. But one is my insane aunt who's paranoia I find intimidating, but, no, it's not a vibe they give off.

Reactions: mangosloth

·
Registered
562 Posts
@Falling Foxes yeah he could have been ENFP ! Most of the time I see him typed as an ISFP, because people instantly assume that aesthetics + on stage performance -> ISFP. While the most "aesthetically driven" people I know are Ne dom/aux. They're trend setters and eccentrics.
I've also seen him typed as an INTP, which makes more sense. Anyway I feel Ne extravagance (as in Salvador Dali and Oscar Wilde). And his quote is all about open possibilities.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Falling Foxes yeah he could have been ENFP ! Most of the time I see him typed as an ISFP, because people instantly assume that aesthetics + on stage performance -> ISFP. While the most "aesthetically driven" people I know are Ne dom/aux. They're trend setters and eccentrics.
I've also seen him typed as an INTP, which makes more sense. Anyway I feel Ne extravagance (as in Salvador Dali and Oscar Wilde). And his quote is all about open possibilities.
I accept INTP.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
@Falling Foxes

I used to have the biggest crush on my infp friend ( this was back in high school). He was a TA for my history class - brunette, lanky, very artitistic looking ( like you know he's an artist), kinda look like Jared Leto but with facial hair.
I would observe him in class and my heart beats 10 times faster every time I walk past him . He initiated the first conversation with me , I was walking home from school and he drove by asking if I wanted a ride . I remembered telling myself maybe he's not as cute up close- I was wrong- he was hot ! His personality was surprisingly goofy and calm - odd combination but after he dropped me home from school - we would banter with each other at school and eventually became friends- he called me kiddo, and patted my head when he finds me childlike- and put his jacket over me when I'm cold- I don't think I was ever that intimidated ( I'm thought he was so unique and cool ) by anyone. We sat around talking about his comics and he would ask me to voice over a comic or anime character he created - his imaginations out beats mine and since we're both kinda clumsy and weird - we would banter- poke fun at each other and sometimes share a blanket when watching a movie at his apartment( we never cuddled) he would give me this look and I'll return it and we both break into laughter

Eventually my crush on him fades and he became a great friend of mine ( turned out he went to the same elementary school and junior high with my istp husband , they knew each other and have signed each other yearbooks ). I introduced him to my intp friend ( his wife now).
So here is where it gets very funny , we were having dinner 5-6 years ago - and his wife told me " My husband used to have the biggest crush on you , he was so glad that a cool chic like you would hangout and do geeky stuff with him. "
He then replied " yeah she knew that I crushed on her- it was kinda obvious" then he told me and my husband " she was very kind always making me feel comfortable instead of awkward "

Turned out he thought I was platonically flirting with him to make him feel better and I thought he was amused by the fact that he intimidated me. He doesn't know that I used to crush on him. But yeah i was definitely intimidated by an infp -

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

I've been seen as "mysterious", "meek", "insane" and "charistmatic". The first two bother me the most. Insane I take as a compliment.
"Intimidating" is one that I tend to hear more from males than females, so I think there's probably a level of attraction that has to do with it and may make me more intimidating to some men than women as a result. The major exception to that would be from my one of my female friends; she told me once that I'm one of the most terrifying people she knows, but that wasn't necessarily a first impression, so I'm not sure that counts.

I get "quiet" (you can imagine my surprise the first time I heard that one) and "weird" a lot; "charismatic" on occasion. A few others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts