Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So judging functions, as we know, are Fi, Ti, Fe, and Te.
Why am I focusing on these four? Because frankly, I have not come up with a solid theory for the perceiving functions yet. XD So dom-perceivers: this may (or may not) apply to you. So I am focusing on EXFJs, INXPs, EXTJs, and ISXPs.

I believe...that our dom-function is the center of our self esteem. It is deemed our "strength" for a reason; from day 1 of forming your type (whatever age that was), you naturally gravitated towards a certain orientation. You had certain desires, and from these desires came a focus. And from the focus came your confidence. You practiced over and over again in your orientation that it becomes your strength...it's your second hand nature basically. Past childhood...if you ever fail at your known "strength" you take a strong dip in self confidence.

You first and last are judging functions... The last is something you admit you are weak in. Perhaps it's something you grudgingly admit; nevertheless, you know and have accepted the fact that you are uncomfortable using it. You usually rely on others to aid you here whenever possible. Meaning failure here isn't as strongly related to self esteem issues because it's not your focus.

So for some concise answers: What the hell is Ink talking about? I'll start with Fe doms since that's what I think I am:

Dominant function:
Fe doms: Our "core", our greatest desire, is having strong social relationships. Having other people like us. The most people we get to like us, to wish to cooperate with us, the better we feel.

Te doms: The "core" is success in an objective manner. Visible success. This could be in the form of anything, i.e. getting the highest grade in the class, getting an accolade, public appraisal over some achievement, social status, whatever it is.

Ti doms: The "core" is a strong desire for truth. Sounds...a lot nicer than the Fe/Te doms right? Well, it seems that, as they've focused much of their life on Ti, failure at being objective, at solving a logical problem, at not being able to squash down any feelings or attachments = dip in self confidence.

Fi doms: The "core" is a strong desire for moral standards. Focus on Fi to the point that they pride themselves over being able to stick firmly to their identity, their values that they try and squash any ill or controversial ideas. If those come up or they act in a way they deem unsightly-> dip in self confidence.

Now let's talk about the inferior function:

Fe doms: We know we aren't that great at using Ti. Being objective and forming logical conclusions isn't our plus point. However, in cases when Fe fails us and we need to solve an Fe related issue (with the other functions shitting on our toes), we will utilize Ti to the best of our abilities. This becomes a very "pure" form of Ti: No self esteem involved. We want the truth. We want people to destroy everything we write for the sake of finding the best solution to our problem. We ask question, after question, after question till we are satisfied. (And even then, satisfaction may never come). Note: Only for anything tied to Fe, directly or indirectly.

Te doms: Usually focus is on Te stuff...however, occasionally they have to make a decision and that dreadful inner voice/feeling of guilt takes over. Thus, you have a "pure" form of Fi. The Te dom goes "-sigh- oh alright. I'll do the "right" thing". The "right" thing is probably more pure than the Fi dom internally screaming what they think is the "right" thing to do. Te doms are often times very morally fair and objective because of this, and probably should be heavily relied on to solve ethical issues. But note- this only comes into play if their Fi dilemma is getting in the way of their Te goal.

Ti doms: "Pure" form of Fe. They realize that- oh hey! If they want to find objective truths then they might need to interact with people. They also realize the importance of SOCIAL HARMONY, i.e. everyone's voice matter. If everyone is given that "safe space"- that ability to speak freely without fear of harsh judgment- then ideas mesh like an chocolate/vanilla swirl. So they focus on a pure form of Fe- not related to their own desires for social validation- but simply for everyone to get along and harmonize so that they can achieve this flow of ideas.

And finally...Fi doms: Their use of Te is pure: They need the objective measures of achievement to ensure that their Fi ideas are properly in place. If they, say, get an accolade for their Fi work, they know that it means other people have accepted their ideas, which indicates that the world is ever more closer to achieving the utopia that they pictured in their minds. "Pure" Te.

So my point is that the judging doms may focus on their first function and strengthening it...However, in certain cases the inferior users might have a greater strength in the same function due to the purity of the use. The acceptance and less fear of failure causes them to be bolder, and perservere no matter what or accept judgement. Again, perhaps the perceiving functions work in similar ways, or the perceiving doms have their first judging function as the "source" of their esteem.

...OR it could be flipped. Meaning first function is the area they're the boldest in and last function is the source of esteem. But, idk, that makes less sense to me.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Fe doms: Our "core", our greatest desire, is having strong social relationships. Having other people like us. The most people we get to like us, to wish to cooperate with us, the better we feel.
Fe probably can't be my dominant function, as I'm not extroverted at all, but I experience this a bit differently. I don't know if my goal is social relationships themselves so much as a kind of abstract ideal. I am motivated to value and appreciate others, to be valuable to others, and to be in harmony with others. For me this doesn't have to happen so much on an external level, I can experience all of those things internally and in the absence of any social relationships. Things that do not directly involve people still have social value, for instance, things such as having a clean and well-decorated home, getting exercise, developing cooking skills or any other skill that could be used to make things for others, being well-dressed, watching popular shows, etc. All of those things seem to be valued by society and engaging in those things can increase one's feeling of having social value and being connected to society. And then there are things that involve people but not any lasting relationships. For example, I may be friendly, positive, empathetic, etc. around people even if I don't expect to form any kind of friendship with them, because it's really the abstract ideal or values that motivate me, not just the outcome. So I feel like the concrete outcome of forming strong social relationships is only part of it.
Fe doms: We know we aren't that great at using Ti. Being objective and forming logical conclusions isn't our plus point. However, in cases when Fe fails us and we need to solve an Fe related issue (with the other functions shitting on our toes), we will utilize Ti to the best of our abilities. This becomes a very "pure" form of Ti: No self esteem involved. We want the truth. We want people to destroy everything we write for the sake of finding the best solution to our problem. We ask question, after question, after question till we are satisfied. (And even then, satisfaction may never come). Note: Only for anything tied to Fe, directly or indirectly.
Yeah, pretty much. I can relate to that. I also feel like Ti can become really demanding and insatiable, and at times even destructive, tearing down systems as flawed or incomplete.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts