Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dear INFJs. =)

I guess this was asked a few times here but:
In two days I will have my first visit to my psychologist and I am really excited and a little scared. After a few years of dealing with sadness, emptyness and anxiety I decided myself to take that step. I will have a 45 minute talki to the therapist and he will do a "psycho analysis". Does someone has experience with that? Could someone tell me what happens?

I am grateful for answers, thank you! =)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Hey dear INFJs. =)

I guess this was asked a few times here but:
In two days I will have my first visit to my psychologist and I am really excited and a little scared. After a few years of dealing with sadness, emptyness and anxiety I decided myself to take that step. I will have a 45 minute talki to the therapist and he will do a "psycho analysis". Does someone has experience with that? Could someone tell me what happens?

I am grateful for answers, thank you! =)
For me, I just talked about my problems and he made some notes about the entirety. It's very INFJ-friendly, I think.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just realize that this kind of thing is normal, most people do it at one time or another. Also: the other person is professionally trained to do this sort of thing, so it's fine to let them take the lead and just relax.

There's some variation in what actually happens, but expect a lot of questions about your past. Childhood, parents, possible traumatic events... stuff like that. A lot of it is up to the personal style of your psychologist, but most just want to have a friendly talk to find out what makes you tick.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I had a session with the university counsellor (in the UK we don't really use the word "therapist" I don't think) a few years ago because of stress and anxiety, and what I realised was that actually visiting a counsellor is a very healthy thing to do, for almost anyone.

All a therapist/counsellor is, is a form of support system, similar to your family/friends, except that they are pros so they are very very good at it, and are paid to cater to your needs. 95% of the population could find one useful to varying degrees hypothetically.

It's just obviously there are people for whom there is more of a "need". If I were rich I would pay for weekly sessions no matter what, just because it would improve my life no matter what space I'm in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with Kirjuri. It is very INFJ friendly. I was always much happier when I left therapy sessions because something about how they are trained always made me feel like they 'heard' what I was saying unlike nearly everywhere else where I got mostly looks like I was speaking jibberish.
I think you'll enjoy it a great deal and I do hope you get other benefits. It is a painful place to be in my friend and you deserve some peace

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
One issue I always had in counseling was trouble letting go of wanting to manage the counselor instead... the professional aloofness they put on is a practiced coat, and I could feel under that their reactions to certain topics, the subtlety caused by their necessary repression making me want to investigate it more.
Trying to control that urge while simultaneously opening up was a little frustrating, hopefully you don't have that issue. I'm not sure if I can do one-way attention successfully, however it was nice to be heard by critical ears.

One thing I'd note on this topic anywhere it comes up for anyone else who reads it, make sure to remember the difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist. In U.S. society laypersons often use the terms interchangeably, but it makes a difference in what treatment you want. A psychologist provides the classic t.v./movie sit down with thorough talk sessions and possibly behaviour therapies.
A psychiatrist listens for a while, but is looking to diagnose and provide medication. I found all my psychiatrist appointments frustrating because they seemed to think there was a pill to fix anything, and I didn't want that (turned out not to need it anyway ;) )

·
Registered
771 Posts
One issue I always had in counseling was trouble letting go of wanting to manage the counselor instead... the professional aloofness they put on is a practiced coat, and I could feel under that their reactions to certain topics, the subtlety caused by their necessary repression making me want to investigate it more.
Trying to control that urge while simultaneously opening up was a little frustrating, hopefully you don't have that issue. I'm not sure if I can do one-way attention successfully, however it was nice to be heard by critical ears.

One thing I'd note on this topic anywhere it comes up for anyone else who reads it, make sure to remember the difference between a psychologist and psychiatrist. In U.S. society laypersons often use the terms interchangeably, but it makes a difference in what treatment you want. A psychologist provides the classic t.v./movie sit down with thorough talk sessions and possibly behaviour therapies.
A psychiatrist listens for a while, but is looking to diagnose and provide medication. I found all my psychiatrist appointments frustrating because they seemed to think there was a pill to fix anything, and I didn't want that (turned out not to need it anyway ;) )
My therapist talked a fair bit about his personal life to me, which is nice because he lived through some difficult things too, I know he understands me. He enjoys sharing details about his life, although he always reigns that in to not take too much of therapy time. The aloofness isn't necessary a rule, each psychologist arranges how they want their practise to work, you might find one like mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts

The difference is actually pretty easy. The psychiatrist is a medical doctor, who isn't going to go through these stereotypical therapy sessions with you where you talk and develop coping mechanisms and such (unless the psychiatrist is also a psychotherapist, which means that he has a further qualification in -for example- CBT or psychoanalysis). He's rather going to prescribe drugs, manage drug side effects or refer you to a clinic. Psychologists are usually psychotherapists who do the talking. They aren't allowed to prescribe drugs (at least in Germany).

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's been a couple weeks. How did it go? Was it all you hoped for, and will you be going back?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was okay

@AOD III It was okay, I will go to cognitive behavioral therapy my first visit is next monday. I am excited to work through all that triggers in my mind. Thank you for asking. =)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am currently in theraphy. I chose a jungian therapist and I am very satisfied with that. I am pretty sure psychoanalysis is the most suited approach for Infjs. Good luck and enjoy this special journey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts