Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently single, and will be moving in with a person I work with soon. We are not exactly friends, more like acquaintances, she needs a roommate and I need a room. Any advice on what to avoid, and how to make it work easily would be awesome. She house sits a lot, is only home about 2 weeks a month, I think it will be easy enough. I have never had a roommate before, some general advice would be helpful, Thanks!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Clean up after yourself, of course.
I suggest dividing up the chores in the beginning how you see fit.
Don't let a whole bunch of little things turn into a big thing. If something is bothering you and you have a reason, let them know so it doesn't become a thing.
Don't talk too much
Don't be a dud
Don't have loud company over too often
Don't be a dictator with your calm environment
Basically just respect them.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't talk too much
Never been a problem :)

Don't be a dud
I swear I will try not to be a dud....

HAHA! thanks for the help!

So I guess just show common courtesy and be normal..... whatever that is ;)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Never been a problem :)

I swear I will try not to be a dud....

HAHA! thanks for the help!

So I guess just show common courtesy and be normal..... whatever that is ;)
Yeah. Just treat them how they want to be treated and expect them to do the same for you. Since you work together, there is no such thing as enough space lol. You will see each other enough.

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
I think indicating your MBTI type should be an experimental practice in colleges and universities that have residences. They have this thing here where you apply to residence and you fill out a few different things regarding your preferences. I can't see how this idea wouldn't be helpful in some way.

I should mention it to some members of the psychology department at my school, see what they think of it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Get. Everything. In. Writing.

Everything, like who does which chores, what days which bills are to be paid and which exact devision is whose responsibility, etc etc etc etc etc.

Pay all your bills a few days in advance (obvious, yes, but you'd be surprised how many people don't do this and how many problems it can cause)

If there is conflict, don't address it when angry - have the conversation when both are in a good mood and discuss it calmly.

Respect is key and mutual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts