Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 20 year old female with depression and anxiety disorders (which I take medication for) I'm pretty relaxed at the moment.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

The Image seems a bit dystopic to me. Hardly anything natural, a bit disorienting and obviously closed in. Symbolically, it seems like someone with power has designed this building to keep people from seeing the truth. The windows could also be interpreted as our lives on social media and our desire to know more about people than maybe we need or deserve to know.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd probably make some joke about how we'll all be murdered by some lunatic. But it isn't really a joke. I'd likely actually worry about it.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

It would depend upon how much I trusted them to not leave me hanging around alone. But I'd probably try to find another way home if they were okay with going without me.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I tend to have fairly strong beliefs, especially in regards to the wellbeing of people. I'd like to think that these beliefs are built on a sound structure of fact, although at the end of the day the only fact I need is that they are people, just like me. I often practice debating these things in my head and think I'd be pretty well equipped to hold my own, but in the moment I get so overcome with emotion that I just sound, well, emotional. I tend to mirror the temperament of the person I'm talking to. If they are open to learn, so am I. If they are judgmental of my opinion, I'm judgmental of theirs.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Depends if I could correct it without making a fuss. If I see that someone has dropped trash just a few feet from a trash can, I'll pick it up and put it where it belongs. If someone is being harassed, I likely won't try to help. This goes back to my last answer. I could think for days about being the one to calm things down. But 'what if...?' always gets in the way. What if they get angry and harm me? What if I only make the person I'm trying to help feel like even more of a target?

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I value knowledge, competence, beauty, my independence, meaningful work and the respect/(to an extent) fame that comes with it. I believe that with these things I can be sure of my ability to provide for myself the life I want to live. I think these things are pretty consistent values/desires in my life.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else?

People most often call me quiet and shy. My family says I'm witty, but most people don't get to see that side of me.

b) If you could change one thing about your personality, what would it be? Why?

I can give up quite easily, struggle with sticking to a schedule, and have trouble putting together a plan to reach goals. I get overwhelmed by these things and have lost out on time to better myself.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I can't think of an instance of experiencing either, so I can't really answer this.

9. a) What activities energize you most?

logic puzzles, creative projects, and things that aren't too social that I can experience in my own time/pace.

b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Any and all social activities (I have no doubt that I'm an introvert), things that require more from me emotionally than I have to offer.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I only show parts of my personality that I think are necessary for a situation. I try to show restraint around people, especially people I don't know/trust. My first priority is to make a good first impression, even if that means showing people a more watered-down version of myself.​

·
Registered
42 Posts
First post huh? Not to worry, tis’s my first time attempting to type someone lol.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a 20 year old female with depression and anxiety disorders (which I take medication for) I'm pretty relaxed at the moment.
This hints that you may be ‘in the grip’(functions in the lower stack become more apparent).

The Image seems a bit dystopic to me. Hardly anything natural, a bit disorienting and obviously closed in. Symbolically, it seems like someone with power has designed this building to keep people from seeing the truth. The windows could also be interpreted as our lives on social media and our desire to know more about people than maybe we need or deserve to know.
Si - Ne? It looks like Ni at first glance but..first you compared the image to an impression, then suddenly jumped from one idea to another somewhat related idea. Multiple interpretations instead of combining ideas into one interpretation.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I'd probably make some joke about how we'll all be murdered by some lunatic. But it isn't really a joke. I'd likely actually worry about it.
Seems like lower Ne is showing: Si is under stress which gives in to Ne induced paranoia.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

It would depend upon how much I trusted them to not leave me hanging around alone. But I'd probably try to find another way home if they were okay with going without me.
doesn’t say much.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I tend to have fairly strong beliefs, especially in regards to the wellbeing of people. I'd like to think that these beliefs are built on a sound structure of fact, although at the end of the day the only fact I need is that they are people, just like me. I often practice debating these things in my head and think I'd be pretty well equipped to hold my own, but in the moment I get so overcome with emotion that I just sound, well, emotional. I tend to mirror the temperament of the person I'm talking to. If they are open to learn, so am I. If they are judgmental of my opinion, I'm judgmental of theirs.
Mirroring the temperament of others suggests Fe

Sound structure of fact - suggests Te, but it's an 'like to think' rather than 'has to be' so Te is not as valued. If you feel doubt though ask yourself this: How do you build upon your beliefs? Must they make sense to you first or must they fit with what has been established first?

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Depends if I could correct it without making a fuss. If I see that someone has dropped trash just a few feet from a trash can, I'll pick it up and put it where it belongs. If someone is being harassed, I likely won't try to help. This goes back to my last answer. I could think for days about being the one to calm things down. But 'what if...?' always gets in the way. What if they get angry and harm me? What if I only make the person I'm trying to help feel like even more of a target?
Fe, due to consideration of what is accepted by others instead of what you think is acceptable.

Hint of Ne, debatable though.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I value knowledge, competence, beauty, my independence, meaningful work and the respect/(to an extent) fame that comes with it. I believe that with these things I can be sure of my ability to provide for myself the life I want to live. I think these things are pretty consistent values/desires in my life.
What makes for meaningful work to you? What kind of beauty?

People most often call me quiet and shy. My family says I'm witty, but most people don't get to see that side of me.
Leans toward introversion, but there are shy extroverts.

I can give up quite easily, struggle with sticking to a schedule, and have trouble putting together a plan to reach goals. I get overwhelmed by these things and have lost out on time to better myself.
Would you feel better if you didn't plan or does not planning make you more anxious? If it's the latter, it points to extraverted judging(i.e Te and Fe) being on the higher stack.

Would be good to understand what exactly makes planning overwhelming; is it too many variables to consider? Trouble breaking down into steps? Identifying what exactly to work on? Or is it because it involves stepping out of your comfort zone?

logic puzzles, creative projects, and things that aren't too social that I can experience in my own time/pace.
Suggests introversion.

Any and all social activities (I have no doubt that I'm an introvert), things that require more from me emotionally than I have to offer.
What exactly from these activities do you feel drained by? Peer pressure? Being called out? Being interrupted when you are trying to think of something? Activities too stimulating(i.e. too many things to see and focus)?

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I only show parts of my personality that I think are necessary for a situation. I try to show restraint around people, especially people I don't know/trust. My first priority is to make a good first impression, even if that means showing people a more watered-down version of myself.
Repression of feeling in general.

Ahh might have bite off more than I can chew off unfortunately. It’s kind of hard to type you due to lack of information and my own inexperience. My best guess is that you may be an ISFJ repressing your auxiliary function. INFJ seems unlikely due to lack of evidence for inferior Se. Other possible types: ISTJ, IXTP, XXFJ

What would be helpful for you would be to look into inferior functions because they will be easier to spot at your current state, then find out the auxillary and tertiary functions, and then look into the types. Hopefully other members pitch in so more insight can be gained.

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Type speculation based on questionnaires of this kind isn't popular here, which is frustrating for newcomers but obviously not for the creators of these questionnaires.

I am sure that you can easily find your four letters using these or other sites:

MBTI
Free Myers Briggs Test | MBTI Personality Types
http://jupiter-34.appspot.com/https://mypersonality.info/test-personality

https://mypersonality.info/test-personality/
https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Big Five
The Big Five Project - Personality Test
Example's Personality Report

Big Five / MBTI Correlations
Global 5/Big 5 to Jung/MBTI/Kiersey correlations

Type Profiles
https://www.davidson.edu/offices/ca...-and-major-exploration/career-assessment/mbti

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ISFJ repressing your auxiliary function.
My thoughts exactly! A big part of what turned me away from the type was how traditional they seemed and how being helpful was almost second nature to them, but I've read things here and there about the type that just kind of clicked for me.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I can't say much more than that for now, but thank you for taking the time to reply!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My thoughts exactly! A big part of what turned me away from the type was how traditional they seemed and how being helpful was almost second nature to them, but I've read things here and there about the type that just kind of clicked for me.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I can't say much more than that for now, but thank you for taking the time to reply!
If the type clicked for you I would say it's very likely your type! With that said, type descriptions only describe each type at their best, not worst, so it's not very helpful at all(I suspect some descriptions are even biased towards the most common enneagram for each type). I used to doubt my type a lot for this reason--still do, but not as much. I meet quite a number of ISFJs irl and each of them had a different flavour, although they had their similarities underneath...ahem.

I should expand a bit on my conclusion since it seems like it came out of nowhere and I've gotten more insight after thinking more about it so for anyone who's curious here:

Reading through your post the most apparent function to me was Fe. The next most apparent was Ne, however it was used in a rather negative way(i.e. thinking of the worse case scenarios and believing that those might actually happen-this also suggests poor use of Ti btw, I forgot to mention). With inferior Ne identified, and Fe being so apparent, I started to think of the ISFJ type. But why are you so uncomfortable with people and social activities? So I decided to look into auxillary Fe and found out repressing the auxillary function is a thing, caused by a conflict with your dominant function(bad past experiences in your case perhaps?).

Since it appears you are an Fe user, you had to be a Ti user as well. For Ti I did find some evidence here and there like solving logic puzzles (which suggests you used Ti as a relief(tertiary) function), debating beliefs in your head(which suggests beliefs have to make sense for you first before you can internalise them) and the struggle to plan goals. Then there's also the dom-tert loop(Si-Ti in your case) which revealed the reason possibly as to why you were avoiding social activities: you were rationalising them away.

With all of this, I thus concluded you were most likely an ISFJ, but gave you other possible types just in case. Hope this makes it clearer for you and everyone else who happened to stumble here. If you do come back and expand your thoughts I would be interested to read them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the type clicked for you I would say it's very likely your type! With that said, type descriptions only describe each type at their best, not worst, so it's not very helpful at all(I suspect some descriptions are even biased towards the most common enneagram for each type). I used to doubt my type a lot for this reason--still do, but not as much. I meet quite a number of ISFJs irl and each of them had a different flavour, although they had their similarities underneath...ahem.

I should expand a bit on my conclusion since it seems like it came out of nowhere and I've gotten more insight after thinking more about it so for anyone who's curious here:

Reading through your post the most apparent function to me was Fe. The next most apparent was Ne, however it was used in a rather negative way(i.e. thinking of the worse case scenarios and believing that those might actually happen-this also suggests poor use of Ti btw, I forgot to mention). With inferior Ne identified, and Fe being so apparent, I started to think of the ISFJ type. But why are you so uncomfortable with people and social activities? So I decided to look into auxillary Fe and found out repressing the auxillary function is a thing, caused by a conflict with your dominant function(bad past experiences in your case perhaps?).

Since it appears you are an Fe user, you had to be a Ti user as well. For Ti I did find some evidence here and there like solving logic puzzles (which suggests you used Ti as a relief(tertiary) function), debating beliefs in your head(which suggests beliefs have to make sense for you first before you can internalise them) and the struggle to plan goals. Then there's also the dom-tert loop(Si-Ti in your case) which revealed the reason possibly as to why you were avoiding social activities: you were rationalising them away.

With all of this, I thus concluded you were most likely an ISFJ, but gave you other possible types just in case. Hope this makes it clearer for you and everyone else who happened to stumble here. If you do come back and expand your thoughts I would be interested to read them.
Yeah, I'd like to make a post with more extensive answers at some point. I think I was a bit eager to get something out with this one, but was surprised to see that you still got something similar to me with what little I provided.

·
Registered
34 Posts

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I can't think of an instance of experiencing either, so I can't really answer this.

I only show parts of my personality that I think are necessary for a situation. I try to show restraint around people, especially people I don't know/trust. My first priority is to make a good first impression, even if that means showing people a more watered-down version of myself.​

Without reading everybody else's responses. Its easy to say INFP.

However, I don't fully buy into your introversion. I challenge you to ask yourself a very honest question..... When you go out in social gatherings, do you feel an inner urge of not knowing exactly what to say? Like your mind is spinning with unfamiliarity that you feel this need to talk to people, without internally realizing it? So you just shut down because of it?
or
Do you zone out and fantasize? Like something you saw, reminded you of something, so you started thinking about a moment you had with that something, only to find that your friend has been trying to get your attention, and you've now lost track of time and space?

Your intuitive, without question!
Your a feeler, I think its Fi however.
Your most likely a P.

I say ENFP or INFP.

I would need more details though on why you would be a P over a J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts