Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The difference between ESTP and ESFP is not clear. I'll give you that some of these choices can look like both of them.
My distinction between them is this: who makes moral choices and who is giving in to "audience" expectations from time to time?
The difference is Fi vs Fe.

Thus my selection of ESFP follows:

1. Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

"Yeah, Science!"

He makes moral decisions throughout the series and ultimately that's how he wins.
Also, he applies himself.

2. Jack Dawson - Titanic

"I'm the king of the World!"

He knows everything about that damn ship.

3. Max - Stranger Things

"Okay, can you guys settle an argument for us? Who do you think should decide El’s limits? Mike or Eleven?"

(man, it took time to find this quote)

4. Finn - Star Wars

"I'm not a hero. I'm a stormtrooper. Like all of them, I was taken from a family I'll never know. And raised to do one thing. But my first battle, I made a choice. I wasn't gonna kill for them. So I ran. Right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of what I was. But I'm done with the First Order. I'm never going back."

and as always the usual 13 Reasons Why character:

5. Justin Foley - 13 Reasons Why

"I made a lot of mistakes, man. Sometimes I feel like that's all life is. It's just all the mistakes you make and all the shit you gotta do to set it right."

Honourable mentions:

Henry Hill (the protagonist) from Goodfellas

Starlord (Chris Pratt) from the Avengers franchise

Captain Marvel from Captain Marvel (I couldn't decide on this one - is she an ESFP?)

Ps: It seems to me like ESTPs are the bad guys of the MBTI chart while ESFPs are the prettyboys (girls). Is that right?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Goku, Gon from HxH, Starlord, Kanata from Kanata no Astra, Takuto from Star Driver seem to be ESFPs. I think they are popular as protagonists.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goku, Gon from HxH, Starlord, Kanata from Kanata no Astra, Takuto from Star Driver seem to be ESFPs. I think they are popular as protagonists.
I haven't seen this animes unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And most of DC heroes are ESTPs though, they're great at planning and leadership too! Not all of them are bad guys
Not Superman, Batman though. They're J types. Aquaman seems more ISTP (he's certainly an introvert) and WW is more an Feeler type.
Flash might be EXTP.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't seen this animes unfortunately.
I think Hunter x Hunter and Kanata no Astra are good enough to watch. For Dragon Ball, it is good till Z. Super seems to be pretty poorly written(at least for me) as much that I prefer GT to that.

·
Registered
INTJ
501 Posts
Most every characters played by Will Smith. For instance Agent J / James Darrell Edwards III in Men in Black.

Don't trust PDB for the typing of Will Smith. PDB is full of INTPs, esp. 5w4, who don't usually get along with ESFPs so they seat there and type him ENFP.

The Best Will Smith Movies (So Far), Ranked

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most every characters played by Will Smith. For instance Agent J / James Darrell Edwards III in Men in Black.

Don't trust PDB for the typing of Will Smith. PDB is full of INTPs, esp. 5w4, who don't usually get along with ESFPs so they seat there and type him ENFP.

The Best Will Smith Movies (So Far), Ranked
It's been a time since I saw anything with Will Smith. I forgout about him totally.
My favourite was Bad Boys but then he seemed ISTP to me.

Also, what's PDB? :unsure:

·
Registered
INTJ
501 Posts
It's been a time since I saw anything with Will Smith. I forgout about him totally.
My favourite was Bad Boys but then he seemed ISTP to me.

Also, what's PDB? :unsure:
Mike Lowrey from Bad Boy is actually ESTP, he doesn't keep much of his thoughts to himself. I suppose that's good enough for typing him as an E type 7.

Also in PDB:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike Lowrey from Bad Boy is actually ESTP, he doesn't keep much of his thoughts to himself. I suppose that's good enough for typing him as an E type 7.
I love him, he was my role model growing up. Nice to know he's the same type as I (currently) am.

Reactions: Catandroid

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
636 Posts
Seconding ESFP Gon.

Anakin Skywalker is an ESFP and I'll die on this hill. If you like him or not is up to you, but I think he's a great, multi-faceted character--especially within The Clone Wars.

Only thinking of this b/c he's my icon, but InuYasha is a quintessential ESFP too (although the Fi sure does jump out at points). Kagari from Psycho-Pass seems ESFP, maybe ESTP? We don't see a whole lot of him unfortunately. But going off of stereotypes, ESFP seems more likely.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anakin Skywalker is an ESFP and I'll die on this hill. If you like him or not is up to you, but I think he's a great, multi-faceted character--especially within The Clone Wars.
I like him but I'm not sure if he's an ESFP. I don't see much Te in him.
And he's too emotionally unstable. I don't see an ESFP choke his love to death just to prove he can do anything.
I agree he's an Se though.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW there was a lot of debate in an earlier thread about ESTPs and why I didn't include one that wasn't "toxic".

I swear to God I thought about it a lot and I haven't found an ESTP that is a good guy.
ESTP portrayals are almost exclusively bad.

I found these guys:

- Seth from Superbad

- Danny McBride's character from This is The End

- Jordan Belfort (Leo DiCaprio) from The Wolf of Wall Street

- Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron) from Neighbors.

Needless to say these are not good guys at all.

And the only one I found that comes close was Drake from the Uncharted series. And he's a thief.

So no, I don't know any ESTP good guys, who are not toxic. Sadly, that's the ESTP portrayal right now.

·
Registered
ENTP | 7w6 | so/sx
636 Posts
I like him but I'm not sure if he's an ESFP. I don't see much Te in him.
And he's too emotionally unstable. I don't see an ESFP choke his love to death just to prove he can do anything.
I agree he's an Se though.
Anakin is renowned for being an impeccable tactician with very unorthodox ways of doing things during his time as a general, but turning to this is definitely not his first impulse, which reads like a (albeit stereotypical) depiction of Te being lower in his function stack. He acts rashly and personally, and his priority is always things that are important to him. He's looked down upon by the council because of his inability to view things as a "for the greater good" sort of perspective and puts his personal morality and the people close to him above all else, and that's what Palpatine takes advantage of when he manipulates Anakin. Classic unhealthy Fi getting turned in on itself. Anakin is charismatic in his own weird way, not because he's good at reading the room, but because he believes so heavily in himself and what he fights for, and it's this same thing that gets him into trouble with the council so frequently. Obi-Wan and Windu constantly chastise him for his inability to separate himself from his emotions, but he legit can't do that.

I think Anakin does show signs of BPD though, also making it hard to type him, but I see Fi everywhere in his portrayal. Do we really see an ESTP waxing poetic to a girl he barely knows about how much he loves her and wants to be with her? lol

I think a lot of people think he's an ESTP because he's good at fixing things. Which an ESFP can be, too!

I hope that makes sense. I could probably go way longer on this analysis but...I don't wanna subject you to that unless you're interested. Haha.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think a lot of people think he's an ESTP because he's good at fixing things. Which an ESFP can be, too!
Oh I know that. A buddy of mine is ESFP and he fixes everything! Literally everything, he fixed my PS4 :oops:

The problem with Anakin is that the matter is just too paper thin to type him anything. He's not a layered character or anything.
I can see him being an ESFP but I can see him an ESTP too.
That just proves how weak the prequel trilogy was. Finn is barely a main character in the new ones and I can see his Fi and Te ("I know all about the base!") all over.

With Anakin it gets trickier because he's a bad guy (a legitimate, villain not just toxic or whatever) and with becoming bad you always use your shadow functions more.

That said it's too paper thin to characterize. I can see your reasoning but what it boils down to me is this: does he make moral decisions?
I don't think so. Killing your mother's slaveholders is not really a moral choice. Especially the way he goes about it. I just see way more Fe in Anakin's acts than Fi.
He wants to prove himself. He always looks out for appreciation. He has a lot of repressed feelings. And that's usually a sign of Fe.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts