Personality Cafe banner

Love Languages [probably two max but w/e applies to you]

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been posted on a few other type's forums, but I didn't see it in the INFP's forum. Sorry if it's a repeat.

What is your primary Love Language, as an INFP?

Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.
Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.
Receiving Gifts

Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.
Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.
Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.​
(Source: The 5 Love Languages? | Five Love Languages)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'd say words of affirmation. In a close second comes physical touch, but I'm not really the person to initiate such things, so I can't say that comes first.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
...those. o.o Those answers are just wrong! Who are you people? o.o
Touch and quality time are the only useful answers! @[email protected] *shuns* I guess I'm lucky my love thinks the same.
*super ultra mega awesomely huggles whoever that one person is who voted touch so far other than me* :333

Psst, the test suggests two major directions, can the poll include two answers?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Touch and Time are definitely my two. They're really great ones to share with someone! As long as you're touching, you're being touched, and as long as you're spending time, they're spending time with you! Fantastic.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Mine are Touch and Quality Time. My wife's are Acts of Service and Quality Time.

The Love Language isn't about what's "better". It's about understanding that your primary love language may not be the same as your significant other.

I can give my wife hugs all I like, but that's how I feel loved, not how she feels loved. She feels loved when I do the dishes, clean up, and generally just make her day-to-day easier.

Neither of us are Gifts people. It's lowest on our list.

However, the Love Languages can be used beyond your significant other. For my friends that are gifts people, I buy them drinks. For my friends that are Words of Affirmation, I compliment them often. For the Act Service friends, I'm usually doing the minor organizing for the get-togethers. There's no real tell tale signs to figure this out. I usually bring up the Five Love languages in innocuous conversation. I ask what theirs are and I write it down when I get home.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Words & quality time are my top two.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Touch and time at my top. Touch especially, I'm with someone now that doesn't really touch in a caring manner on the everyday, smacks me on the butt, or pokes me, or tugs my clothes, or hair, it's so frustrating.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Words & Quality time. Words echo in my mind for a long time, so what you say to me has a lasting impact. However, my vote went towards quality time because it lasts the longest.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quality time...and physical touch...

"Words are meaningless....and forgettable...all I ever wanted...all I ever needed....is here in my arms...words are very unnecessary....they can only do harm......." :)

Reactions: Shorttail

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm the same as darkestar, quality time followed by touch. I believe that actions are more important than words, and the best way to prove to me that you care is to want to spend your time with me. Touch comes second for a similar reason, that it is an act. It's what someone does that makes me feel loved, not what they say.

Words would come third as it is still nice to hear nice things :) It comes above services because I think this would make me feel uncomfortable. I was once in a relationship that many of my friends would be perfect for me as she was good at taking care of me as I'm not the best at taking care of myself. However I ended up feeling guilty because of it. So she would do a nice thing because she loved me, I'd end up feeling guilty, then she would end up feeling bad that I felt bad, which would make me feel bad. I know...

Gifts is an act, but is lowest on my list. I think generally it is the least thoughtful, and even when it is thoughtful it'd be more about the thought than the actual item. One of the best presents I ever had from an ex was a small toy blimp. It hardly cost any money at all, but it meant a lot to me because of one of the craziest dreams I've ever had which occurred when we were getting to know each other.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oops - I clicked the wrong thing! My primary love language is Physical Touch; my secondary love language is Words of Affirmation (I accidentally clicked on Words of Affirmation)!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'd guess quality time would be my primary. I don't think I'd mind spending a lot of time with someone I loved. Close second would be Acts of service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got quality time, makes perfect sense too... I really appreciate it when people spend time with me rather than do anything else. It really hits home for me if somebody I like drops what their doing because they want to be with me...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well. I guess I am the only one who said gifts so I feel like I need to try to explain myself.
Words of Affirmation isn't really me. I have become so untrusting of people, and been hurt so many times by people who will continually tell me they love me, and that they are my friend, but then hurt me, and leave me that those words have lost all meaning. Stuff like "You are such a sweetheart", "You are too good for me" stuff like that doesn't make me feel better, or good, or cared for so. Words are words.

I could have picked quality time, and probably should have. I have so many friends who are more like ghosts. People who will talk to me on facebook, text me, but never see me in real life. We are more like strangers that know each other very well than friends. So whenever somebody DOES want to do something (which is rare), it does mean a lot. Getting asked to do stuff means a lot to me, and makes me feel wanted. (Talking about this makes me feel like I should have picked this one lol), but it just doesn't happen very often, or at all. So maybe later on in life if things get better this will be me.

Acts of Service-Um, people don't really offer to do stuff for me, and if they did I wouldn't let them. The thought would mean a lot to me, but I could never actually let someone do something for me if I could help it at all.

Physical Touch-I am not very touchy, and like my space. Only people that I really ever hug are girls who I am really close to that offer to hug me. I am not going to lie though. There is nothing I would love more than to be able to hold a girls hand and know that she cares for me. That would make me so incredibly happy, but like the others it hasn't happened, and I can't pick a love language that I haven't been able to speak yet.

So I picked receiving gifts, I do like it when people get me small stuff that shows me that they were thinking of me, or that they care for me. It does make my day. Small notes people may right me, maybe a candy bar, just small things that are symbols of someones love for me. Probably the wrong choice, but it seemed right at the time.

Reactions: amanda32

·
Registered
155 Posts
This has been posted on a few other type's forums, but I didn't see it in the INFP's forum. Sorry if it's a repeat.

What is your primary Love Language, as an INFP?

Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.
Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful. QUOTE=]

It's words of affirmation for me I think - but they have to be real and considered. Just 'I love you' means nothing. Though 'I really like you' from a relative stranger can make my day!!

Quality time is appreciated as well, and I HATE it when someone is always doing something else when you're trying to talk to them about something important.​

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I voted for physical touch. I don't have a significant other, but in my family I'm known as the one who really likes hugs and holding hands. Small touches mean things to me, platonic or romantic, so that's very important.

Next is probably quality time. But not just sitting awkwardly without any words or even a "fun-filled day" at the zoo. I'm kind of picky about what counts as true quality time. But generally a co-operative goal with actual conversation is good.

A close second is acts of service. I don't really do it as much as I would like, but I try to. It's good to do things to help out.

Fourth is words of affirmation. Mostly because I don't like saying things just to reassure people and it's a little awkward. Words can feel good or feel bad, but... Well, always saying, "I love you" or "You're so pretty!" just ruins it. Too much of a good thing, you know?

Last is gifts. I don't understand the people who equate love with diamonds or something. The rare small gift that means something is good, even appreciated. But if you get me something just to appeal to me or try to make me feel better (like flowers) is just... pointless. Don't bother, because I'm not going to.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts