Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Maybe this is just me, but I've discovered over the past year that some things, like forum statistics, interest me far more than they should. I'll use forums as an example.

Now, I am not new to forums. In fact, over the past six years, I've moderated, supermoderated or admined 11 forums, including four big boards. I have had a nasty history of, either within the first 500 posts or the first four months, of becoming a moderator. One of the reasons I liked being recruited to this board is because for the first time, in a long time, that appeared unlikely!

However, I have noticed that on boards like this one with a "karma" system (and another I recently joined with a slightly different one), I have a nasty habit of refraining from posting because I feel that people can look at the thank:post ratio and make immediate judgements on how useful my posts can be. I actually just reported one of my own posts out of concern of how I may be dragging a thread pointlessly offtopic, and noticed that my post count increased. Immediate negative feelings ahoy! It's not even that I care about the post count (I do care about the thanks a bit since I know I have done something well), it's more the overall ratio which I get worked up about.

Is it normal for INTJs to have these sorts of concerns? I am in a field of study where numbers and stats are fairly relevant, and I do tend to take people's views of me fairly seriously, so maybe it is just me? I don't know much about the MBTI system as of yet, in all honesty. I figured honesty should be important and it does no one good, including myself, to just stew on this stuff rather than talk about it.

(sadly, if I could, I would likely delete both the post I reported and the post itself, because of how it's impacted the thanks:post ratio!)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You mean like how you yelled at me for my pitifully low rate of thanking posts...?

Jerk.

I believe that karma systems are rather inaccurate because there's really no standard for how someone thanks a post. Some people are thank-happy while others prefer to save their thanks for only those select few posts that really stand out. There's no one to say when a thank is truly deserved versus one that is given more loosely.

Also, wtf @ reporting your own post. Oh my god hahaha.

·
Registered
705 Posts
thanks arent bestowed by the gods, its really if someone agrees with what you said ...they, and you could still be totally wrong

so they really dont mean much as far as how useful a post may be

Reactions: dalsgaard

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that the Thanks rating is not given when a post meets a specific level of quality, even if I sometimes see a correlation in the ratios between the good and the bad posts.

Hence why this thread is titled with the word "pseudo-irrelevant."

I guess I just spend too much time caring about what others think of me, which I think is less of an INTJ quality and more of an ENTJ quality (used to test weakly as one), being oversensitive to the interests and opinions of others? Or maybe I'm just nuts.

... I think I like "nuts." Nuts are awesome. Thanks for the responses all!

And just to be contrary, you guys don't get any "actual" thanks.

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
The most interesting karma system I've found so far is the Aura on the [URL="http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/wp_faq#wp_aura]Whirlpool (Australian) forum[/URL].
They don't give you precise numbers, just ballpark ratings. The 'reward' is access to a special subforum.

I like the 'thanks' feature and it has so-far maintained my motivation on this forum. For me, it gives an indicator on impact, something that you can never quite tell on other forums.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I figured the amount of thanks a person had usually has more to do with how long they've been on the forum versus how many posts they make on average. The biggest variable would be popularity wouldn't it? Not just the popularity of the threads you create but how many other users actually like you. If you become known as the insufferable douche then you probably aren't gonna get many thanks even when the information you post is relevant. And someone already said people thank for entirely different reasons and at different rates.
If you really wanted to gather the information you could, but truthfully I don't think having the most thanks is going to translate to better poster.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Every once in a while, I look at my counters and think "huh, I don't post too often..."
And sometimes, I even compare the numbers and am secretely pleased about having more thanks than posts.
And then I remember how much I don't care about those stats and carry on as usual.

Btw, Pseudo-Irrelevant? That would mean they only seem irrelevant, but are actually somehow relevant, now wouldn't it?
I disagree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts