Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ISFPs~!!
So, I have a question. Are you as bad at following through with things as I am?
I have a tendency to start A BUNCH OF THINGS but finish nothing o.o Like, I have... I think 5 paintings, 4 serious drawings, a practice sketch for a mural, over 10 books I'm halfway through, and a half cleaned room, all of which need to be finished... and I have been working on some of these for many months. When I say working on, in some cases I mean started and ignored them for months XD lol In others I really mean working on.
What helps you finish things?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I'm terrible with following through >_< I was much worse a year or so back though.
I found basically saying that I had to didn't work, but manipulated myself into it! I asked myself if I actually wanted to finish the project, what I'd get from it and how it could help me later on. These different things all helped motivate me to finish alot of work and start new, more narrowed down projects and even find a job idea :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of how I am trying to handle it this time, except I made a... P schedule XD lol I just put 4 different things I would love to do for each morning and each afternoon, the days all vary from the next in their schedule in a few ways to keep it interesting and not too blocky.
The deal is, I do the 4 morning things before noon, that's it, they don't have to be rigidly put together, no time frames, no amount of time I have to spend on them, as long as I do them. Same for the afternoon. :) and if I want to read a different book than i've scheduled for that day, that's fine, I'll read part of the scheduled book first and once my list is done, I pick up the book I wanted to read that day out of impulse XD
The reason I designed it like that is because, I find myself wasting time often. I know when I'm wasting time but then i'm like "Okay! I'll just do something productive! What is it I want to do..? o.o" then I think of all of the things I want to do, I get overstimulated by long lists, tune out, waste more time, do nothing, and repeat. SO!! If there's actually a list of things present that I need to get done, I'll be able to answer "What is it I want to do..? o.o *look at list* OH! I'd say it's time to dance now! Then I'll paint X3"
I've tried manipulating myself but I'm too tricky for my own good XD hahahaha I feel like my lazy-me is backwards manipulating me whenever I try. "If I do this, if I finish this, I'm promised $100!!" "Yeeeaaah.. But we can totally think about it longer and do it later" then I get distracted lol I like your method though ^.^

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Haha well a loose schedule is good too :) I have one at uni: "Today you will do this bit of work" and I have to do it that day or I can't go to bed!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm awful with finishing things. For example, right now I have 3 windows open with more than 5 tabs on each one with stuff I want to do but won't because I'm lazy or something.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not an ISFP, so this may or may not work for you. But us ENTPs have the start and never finish problem too. I'll find something I really want, like guitar gear, tickets or maybe just a drink at the local bar and tell myself you can have it when you're done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not an ISFP, so this may or may not work for you. But us ENTPs have the start and never finish problem too. I'll find something I really want, like guitar gear, tickets or maybe just a drink at the local bar and tell myself you can have it when you're done.
It's that darned P isn't it? lol I noticed INTPs have the same issue.. I've been working really hard on improving my ability to do things like this though! >:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not as bad as I used to be but I do have my moments still. Its mostly art related stuff that I 'start' but never see though to the end. (Granted some of those instances have different circumstances around why I stopped) but still.. its a bad tendency

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well...yes. There's a reason why I wouldn't want to do mutli-chapter fanfic and it's because I'd probably fail to finish it if it was long. I would get bored after a while and want to start writing a new story, lol. The only projects I really finish are school projects, and I don't have much a choice there do I? Even then, I look over past projects and think that's there is something I could add to it, or do something to improve it.

In a way, I guess, even when a story or something like that is technically finished there's always a way to make it better. I'm always wanting to start it all over again, and then do it in a different way just to see how it would turn out. Take a power-point presentation for example. When I'm done with it, I look at the background and suddenly decide I it should be navy blue rather than black. Or I think that the text should be cursive, or that I should add pictures to it.

Reactions: Smiling Aria

·
Registered
6 Posts
If i was to list all the projects, books, films, tv shows, albums and everything in my life i had started but never followed through with i would be here for months writing it all out and would ware through several keyboards...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda bad at this. Like I had this intention to finish this thread by reading every topic but I didn't quite make it ;) It's nothing person since it happens all the time. I also intend to post a lot, and then it doesn't happen.

I'm good at generating ideas, but then I can never follow through with them. Partly because of time and also because I'm too laid back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
*raises hand* I am awful for finishing things...of the man paintings and drawings I've attempted 98% of them are half way, in the beginning stage or 80-90% complete...I don't know why...

I am brilliant at procrastinating and lack motivation...I am also lazy lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts