Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I know seems to think Snape is an INTJ, and I admit that he's sometimes cruel and he doesn't show much emotion, but everything he did was for Lily. Thoughts?

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I saw him as more of INFP actually, after reading about his connection with Lily. Lots of Fi. Not quite rational enough for INTJ (an INTJ would decide brooding after a missed opportunity with a girl was rather silly I think, as was harassing her only orphaned child), but he also didn't seem to have much empathy, or feel such a pull to help people as an Fe user would (aiding the Slytherin bullies and not being a team player in general, not being forthright about his feelings, etc). In those regards, Lupin was more INFJ-like, and McGonagall more INTJ like (though a poor comparison, I think she's an SJ--I don't think there were any INTJs int he Harry Potter world)--to give you some examples.

But what do I know!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw him as more of INFP actually, after reading about his connection with Lily. Lots of Fi. Not quite rational enough for INTJ (an INTJ would decide brooding after a missed opportunity with a girl was rather silly I think, as was harassing her only orphaned child), but he also didn't seem to have much empathy, or feel such a pull to help people as an Fe user would (aiding the Slytherin bullies and not being a team player in general, not being forthright about his feelings, etc). In those regards, Lupin was more INFJ-like, and McGonagall more INTJ like (though a poor comparison, I think she's an SJ--I don't think there were any INTJs int he Harry Potter world)--to give you some examples.

But what do I know!
I thought about INFP, but I guess I always felt that if I considered him that, I was being too biased since I am one and he's my favorite character. Maybe when he was a kid, I would think him to be an INFP, just because of the way he seemed in his memories with Lily. It would make sense for Severus to be one though, since J.K. Rowling is one and I assume he is one of her most treasured characters. Also I agree with Lupin being an INFJ, and I think McGonagall is an ISTJ, but I did think Lucius Malfoy was an INTJ. I used to think Voldemort was an INTJ also and then I started thinking ENTJ and I don't really know what I think now.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I thought about INFP, but I guess I always felt that if I considered him that, I was being too biased since I am one and he's my favorite character. Maybe when he was a kid, I would think him to be an INFP, just because of the way he seemed in his memories with Lily. It would make sense for Severus to be one though, since J.K. Rowling is one and I assume he is one of her most treasured characters. Also I agree with Lupin being an INFJ, and I think McGonagall is an ISTJ, but I did think Lucius Malfoy was an INTJ. I used to think Voldemort was an INTJ also and then I started thinking ENTJ and I don't really know what I think now.
Hmm, well, it takes quite a bit of extroversion to be able to lead people, but Voldemort also struck me as a loner, so I think maybe more on the INTJ side. For the same reason, I might peg Lucius as more ENTJ or even ENFJ, as he was pretty good with manipulation and strutting the social scene (and seemed to enjoy it).

I agree on McGonagall being ISTJ.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
He has no Fe whatsoever. I am not very familiar with the series though. @Hotaru was babbling something about him being an INFP recently. I think he is probably a Fi dom. He is heavy.

Love this video and song:

Reactions: Golden Rose

·
Registered
930 Posts
I was not swayed at all by JK's backstory about Severus & Lily and how he cared about Harry because he was Lily's son. He was beyond cruel to Harry, a two-faced snake, and nothing could justify the mean things he did and said. At the end of the series I was not at all convinced he was a brave and great character. Bravery would have been standing up to Voldemort and, just generally not being a jerk.

Reactions: INFJBrit

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
ISTJ probably. Or IxFP. Not sure which. I think need to watch the entire episodes before I am able to type him.

But from my knowledge of him, he is definitely an Fi type. The way he act snarky toward harry potter but yet secretly care about him screams Fi. He is the pure archetype of an unhealthy Fi user lol.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

But what do I know!
No way....definitely not INFP. TJs can show heavy/deep Fi towards people they are fond of. INFP come off as naive/unassuming/innocent on the outside (although inside there very well may be brooding and other things happening). But really, fictional characters will always be hard to type, because they are not real! So the actor will give off vibes of their own type, while the things they say and do might give off vibes of various other types. It's all contrived.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was not swayed at all by JK's backstory about Severus & Lily and how he cared about Harry because he was Lily's son. He was beyond cruel to Harry, a two-faced snake, and nothing could justify the mean things he did and said. At the end of the series I was not at all convinced he was a brave and great character. Bravery would have been standing up to Voldemort and, just generally not being a jerk.
Thank you! I know JK loves Snape etc but seriously... being in love with someone for decades even when they don't reciprocate (to a slighty creepy extent?) doesn't justify bullying students the way Snape bullies Harry and chums throughout their school days. Yes, I'm sure it takes a lot of brains and moral fibre to be a double agent, but seriously - he didn't have to be so cruel. I'm a teacher and am continually shocked at the way Snape treats the students at Hogwarts when re-reading the books now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snape is not INFJ. ( I see no Fe and some Fi that seems tertiary, ie. after Te) I think the question to be asking is INTJ or ISTJ. Something to remember, though, is whichever type he is, he is an unbalanced, unhealthy, and not very "representative" example of the type. He's had a lot of trauma in his life, much (but not all) of it his own fault due to poor choices. Whenever you're typing characters, you have to look at these things. Like is Remus Lupin truly an introvert (he may be) or is he just withdrawn because of insecurity do to his being a werewolf?

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Snape is not INFJ. ( I see no Fe and some Fi that seems tertiary, ie. after Te) I think the question to be asking is INTJ or ISTJ. Something to remember, though, is whichever type he is, he is an unbalanced, unhealthy, and not very "representative" example of the type. He's had a lot of trauma in his life, much (but not all) of it his own fault due to poor choices. Whenever you're typing characters, you have to look at these things. Like is Remus Lupin truly an introvert (he may be) or is he just withdrawn because of insecurity do to his being a werewolf?
I agree he doesn't use Fe but he seems like a dominant judger. An introverted judger as well.

I am just going on the few movies I have seen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's been a while since I've read the books, but the impression I remember is an unhealthy INTJ. Him having a crush on Lily doesn't change that: tertiary Fi can be very strong, not to mention teenage hormones. I think it's safe to say that, Rolling being an INFP, the characters have a marked lack of Fe altogether, ruling out INFJ. This is fine by me; Fi characters are a lot deeper and more interesting, anyhow.

As for the breakdown: I think it is safe to say that his perception is Ni, Se. The only other thing he could be is ISTJ, and I can't see it. You have to remember, also, that his dark vibe that he gives off is an unrealistic storytelling aid. Most Te users don't give off a dark aura, but rather, anything ranging from equanimity to vitality. Unhealthy ISFPs probably give off the worst vibes in real life. He is not an Se auxiliary from what I see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Err... hm.

We can take that he is an I for sure.

I don't agree that he is an INXJ, I just don't see it.

ALBOP seems to think he is ISTP (Ti>Se>Ni>Fe) - which I could definitely see. I'd also argue that fixating on the past seems to be an Si thing, so perhaps Sj would also work. He doesn't seem clip-boardy enough to be an ISTJ, and ISFJ would give him too much Fe, which he seems to lack. ISFP is another possibility, with Fi>Se>Ni>Te. INFP (Fi>Ne>Si>Te) poses a good functional explanation for his actions, so I'd be willing to accept that as well.

Of course, the argument can always be made that he is not a real person, he is a tool used by JK Rowling to tell a story. As such, he may simply not conform to one type well enough to fit, unlike humans.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't agree that he is an INXJ, I just don't see it.

ALBOP seems to think he is ISTP (Ti>Se>Ni>Fe) - which I could definitely see. I'd also argue that fixating on the past seems to be an Si thing, so perhaps Sj would also work. He doesn't seem clip-boardy enough to be an ISTJ, and ISFJ would give him too much Fe, which he seems to lack. ISFP is another possibility, with Fi>Se>Ni>Te. INFP (Fi>Ne>Si>Te) poses a good functional explanation for his actions, so I'd be willing to accept that as well.
In the books and movies his vibe is definitely Te and Fi. That's really all you can pick up off of him. INFP is out of the question; the dark vibe ISFPs give off is the Se, not Fi. ISFPs are often used as serial killers in novels because of this. They are a great mix of emotional depth, intelligence, and aggressiveness. They make good characters, period, for that matter—like Harry. ISTPs are also out of the question due to him obviously not being Ti dominant and obviously having no Fe at all.

You could make the argument for ISFP, especially in the movies. It's either that or INTJ. He is an unrealistic character in many ways: too much Te for an ISFP, and too much Se and Fi for an INTJ. Like I said, you don't really get an Ni dominant vibe off of him, more just Te—primarily—and Fi. That leaves ISTJ, which he definitely isn't, and INTJ, which he isn't cerebral enough for. (Ni dominant people are always cerebral, even if that doesn't always correlate with high intelligence.) Like I said in my post above: I think he may have hyperbolic Fi for story telling purposes, but that still doesn't explain the lack of prominent Ni.

The more I think about it, the more I would accept ISFP as an answer. He is certainly atypical if he is, though. I would even go so far as to put that ahead of INTJ, now that I have thought about it more.

·
Registered
281 Posts
LOL Snape an INFJ/INFP? Hell no. He is definately not a feeling dominant/auxiliary, and has no Fe at all. I do see INTJ in him to be honest. He is very perceptive and sees through the lies and plans of others. Remember how he saw through the deceivery of professor Quirrell multiple times, like on Halloween (with the troll) and with the situation regarding harry's cursed broom stick? There are probably more examples to name from the books, but my memory is dusty. But these things seem pretty much like Ni to me. Seeing through things and knowing what will happen. He also always knew when harry was lying, and when he was being insincere. This is an indicator of Fi, which can see through this stuff with relative ease. Furthermore he is very strict, prefers to handle things through logic and he dislikes people who make mistakes, don't know what they're doing and are generally incompetent. He also doesn't hesitate to lecture these people accordingly and prefers to speak the hard truth, rather than sugar coat his words to prevent hurting feelings. Seems like heavy Te to me. He also has the Ni calmness and piercing gaze, which is very characteristic for him.

In the end he definately is not a sensor, nor a feeler. And he seems to be perceiving dominant paired with extroverted judgement. Overall INTJ seems pretty legit to me.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
You sound mad. lol

But yeah, Snape is an INFP, end of story.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.