Personality Cafe banner

FOR BEGINNERS - Cognitive Processes

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  StunnedFox 
Since this has been bumped, and is roughly the same topic as this one, I figure my reply to that covers pretty much what I want to say in relation to this:

Worth mentioning that this isn't the only theoretical model out there. The official MBTI makes no claim about the attitude of the tertiary, for instance (so, for example, an ENFJ's stack would thus be Fe-Ni-S-Ti), and a research study concerning functions (part one here, part two here) explicitly had the tertiary as oriented opposite to the dominant rather than with the same attitude (so an ENFJ's stack would thus be Fe-Ni-Si-Ti), which I'm led to believe is in accordance with Isabel Myers' take on things. An "XXYY" model - where the auxiliary shares its attitude with the dominant, e.g., Fe-Ne-Si-Ti - also exists, as one possible interpretation of Jung.

My main point is, I don't see any particular reason to suppose that this function model - the one that most on here apparently adhere to - is necessarily the correct one. But it is an accurate guide, under the XYXY model, for how to determine the function stack given only the letters, and whilst I think most are familiar enough with the theory to know this information already, that doesn't diminish its value for those who aren't aware of it, provided that people are aware this is neither the "officially sanctioned" model (whatever that's actually worth), nor does it have any other special reason to be considered more accurate than others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.