Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is this forum riddled with nostalgia? How do you think the world will be when we are the baby boomers age, or say, Generation X's age? Activate those psychic powers! Or ARE we too focused on the now?

·
Registered
142 Posts
im 24, life today is vastly different then it was when i was a child in the safe most prosperous time in American history "boom" years. so i can see why many people of this generation are nostalgic. after 9/11 everything changed not to mention that life is moving faster then ever now and we are living in "decline" we will have to builders like our grandparents "the greatest generation" history doesn't repeat but it sure does rhyme :wink: this decade will be our "test."
As far as nostalgia go's we will see the return of the 90's if only because the children of the 90's are now becoming the parents of the "teen's" or whatever we decide to name the decade.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's kind of hard to predict the future of our generation. I feel like we have enormous potential, but things are moving too fast.

I mean, in my lifetime we've seen the fall of communism, the rise of the Internet, and we are still trying to live in a post-9/11 world. I think we'll bring some change to the world, I'm just not sure how.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Goddamn, who cares about all the pop culture threads? What about the potential issues we're going to face?
Don't get me wrong, I liked Power Rangers, Pokemon, and Pogs, but Jesus.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its madness to contemplate. Technology is spiking and becoming readily available to the common man. Science itself is stumped at certain questions now legitimately posed about the very matter we are composed of... The internet is breathing new life into social networking, learning, communication. For the first time each individual has a chance to experience the world as it is seen and presented by other individuals. human equality is slowly becoming recognized and overcome on a global scale(i dont know how confidant i am with that statement but we are sure working well together up north here).. individuality is reaching a point its never been before. generation WHY is questioning the hell out of everything they can get their hands on. it will be a bright future for us all...yet there are a few things on my mind which pose a critical problem to the advancement of our generation.

1)NUKES. The ammount of nukes that exist, the ammount of potential destruction they could cause, and the domino effect of a single one of them being launched. if there is anything in this world that could hault civilization as we know it, i would have to go with the nukes on this one.
2)ENERGY, and the oddly slow progress made in clean self sustaining energy sources. Imagine if someone was to come up with a way to make widespread energy so abundant that it was completely free, forever, for everyone? It seems possible, and with the impressive technological finesse our generation possesses wouldnt you think its even probable if not inevitable?(i heard a story once about a normal guy who was an engineer..he made a machine which ran on itself (over unity)..people came, took the machine, and instructed him never to dabble in such things again) which brings me to my last dismal concern...what good is equality and abundance if it doesnt generate.............
3)PROFIT.(think outside the box people!)Profit is the seed of greed. The cause of most if not all corruption. the very nature of profit strikes a chord of wrongness inside of me. from where i stand money seems to be the most powerful driving force in whole wide world. and one doesnt need to look very hard to see its done more harm than good. I dont fully understand the problem, and I dont have the slightest clue as to its solution, but the more I learn about money the more it strikes me as the monster of our age. This issue of profit im sure ties deeply into my other two concerns for our future. (nukes are pretty clearly a sign of wealth, success, power, of a country)(you just cant turn a buck off of perfect abundant free energy)

I dunno guys, you asked, and you recieved my thoughts on the subject. I encourage feedback and debate on my statements as i know very little in a technical sense. these are just the general ideas and notions i've accumulated in my endless curiousity on our future and the true nature of whats really going on here.

Thank you so much Apollo. A brilliant idea for a thread.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An older man I know constantly complains about how people who make engines are no better than they were back then, and even now it's advertised as a big deal. It's all to keep certain industries going.. I hear that's why cars also crap out after a few years. You have to buy a new one, and in a lot of places you absolutely need a car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its creepy to me. I mean there are so many designated tasks (industries) in this world that are established and stinking rich off of all the inefficiencies. If it never breaks, people wont make money off fixing it.(AUTO) If it runs on air no one can be charged for what makes it go.(OIL) If a cure exists for any/every ailment then no one can cash out on treatment(HOSPITAL/PHARMA/INSURANCE/GOVERNMENT) If the world was perfect, all of these industries could no longer thrive. This shit has me looking over my shoulder Apollo. Yet each and every one of them approaches with a helpful demeanor and a kind word, not to mention they are all full to the brim with good people that usually work hard and believe in the services. If I was a pivitol charactor in any of these institutions I would see less maintainance, free energy, and perpetually healthy people as an extreme threat to the long term survival of my business. If you were a business man you would be committing financial suicide to wake up one morning and find a FINAL solution to the problem your business alleviated. And how many do you think take the time to actively inhibit the possibility of being put out of business....ahhhHHHhh!CROOKED AS F*CK but who the hell can I blame for it? Its bigger than you and I and I have no idea how things are going to pan out.

perhaps its actually like this, perhaps i am gravely wrong. i cant be sure. time will tell. are we headed to the far horizons of the future? or straight back to orwells' 1984!? maybe I have a little nostalgia myself. come to think of it 'barbaric cave dweller' sounds pretty awesum to me, hahahaha!

·
Registered
344 Posts
-We definitely need a clean, cheap, renewable energy source.
-Net neutrality (I think I understand it in name only) needs to be insured. Eventually the Internet needs to be free for everyone, and ideally content won't be censored anywhere in the World. Also, all of our information needs to be protected; these constant security breaches are bad enough now, so imagine 20 years from now when I'm sure EVERYTHING about us can/will be on the internet
-Legalize weed (we're making inroads), and end the "war on drugs".
-Further separation of church and state worldwide; Australia's election of an Atheist is a good start
-For fuck's sake, can we PLEASE develop Africa already? And if we can't develop the continent, can we at least figure out a way to get them to stop raping villages and brainwashing child soldiers?
-At least in the U.S., can we please bring back jobs from overseas? Can we become less of a service industry? If we work on that energy source, this is entirely possible.

I just worry about overpopulation. Natural selection isn't working out so well, and the increasing amounts of IVF procedures in India are worrying.
-

·
Registered
344 Posts
We also need to pay our damn teachers, and tighten academic standards. Stop teaching to the school assessments and teach the kids the facts. Some kids can't be educated in a mainstream public school, so alternate career paths should be developed and encouraged.

Reactions: RaVenDeaLeR

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our generation now a day is pretty evolving much faster that the other generation...
Because of the help of our great technology... It really influence the way of living of this generation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The future will be full of new technologies. I think we will get everything at are doors steps. With robos working everywhere people will be very intelligent. None can predict that what tomorrow will be exactly. But it be be true that one will go for a morning walk with a dog made up of microprocessors and micro-controllers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Technology is changing our point of living it will be no wrong if i can say one day one new Generation will come and says Generation Y people were bully, we are the most intelligent compare to previous Generations. The only reason is technology is keep on changing our point of living.

·
Registered
532 Posts
olden days people dont have gadgets, pc, high speed transportations... People dosent know how big is this world. They travell by foot or with the help of animals. Those days, its imposible to travel and see every country, landscapes. That made them think the world is infinite. Now, we all have gadgets, good communication systems, high speed vechicles, etc.
that make feels us this world is pretty small. today, Still technology isnt dominating us. But one day that will happens. The world become more and more weireder, life becomes more unintresting and finally ruin this world. And those days we try to live in past(todays best moments)..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts