Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's your favorite author and why? Post a picture of your favorite book by that author.

Mine is Donald Miller - Blue like Jazz

and this is why i like his writing:

"And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter, some roses blooming out like children in a play. My hope is your story will be about changing, about getting something beautiful born inside of you about learning to love a woman or a man, about learning to love a child, about moving yourself around water, around mountains, around friends, about learning to love others more than we love ourselves, about learning oneness as a way of understanding God. We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?

It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out.

I want to repeat one word for you:
Leave.

Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed."

i also enjoy augusten burroughs and ellen hopkins.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for asking and starting this thread, but wow! How can I pick just one? I love Vonnegut,
but Vurt by Jeff Noon brought me to a world I didn't want to leave
Vurt_JeffNoon_UPCover.jpg ,

and I can't think of ever being as engrossed in a story as I was when I read Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
geek-love.jpg

And then, if there was ever a book I wish I could read to the world, it would be True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh
14516142.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Albert Camus has recently become one of my favorite authors. The Fall is a must read.

Some good quotes of his:

"All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door."

"An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself."

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?"

"Don't believe your friends when they ask you to be honest with them. All they really want is to be maintained in the good opinion they have of themselves."

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."

"In order to exist just once in the world, it is necessary never again to exist."

"It is not your paintings I like, it is your painting."

·
Registered
214 Posts
Albert Camus has recently become one of my favorite authors. The Fall is a must read.
Very cool! I just finished rereading The Stranger, maybe it's time for a reread of The Fall now?

Reactions: tabbee

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Conn Iggulden. He's my favorite author because so far his stories meet all of the qualities I need in a good historical fiction: War, adequate descriptions of fighting techniques, authentic descriptions of life in the ancient world, a Hero I can't help to care for, several in-depth supporting characters, excellent descriptions of the scenery, and did I mention war?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Thanks for asking and starting this thread, but wow! How can I pick just one? I love Vonnegut,
but Vurt by Jeff Noon brought me to a world I didn't want to leave
View attachment 21383 ,

and I can't think of ever being as engrossed in a story as I was when I read Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
View attachment 21384

And then, if there was ever a book I wish I could read to the world, it would be True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh
View attachment 21386
Thanks for posting those books. I just googled Thich Nhat Hanh and found a cool quote, I liked it so much I put it in my sig. It's a good'un!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I at first the title reminded me of "For Those About to Rock" which is a CD and single by AC/DC and that ended up bringing up "Wonderstruck" which is now stuck in my head.

Anyway, I have enjoyed me some H. Beam Piper, Anne McCaffrey, and Robert A. Heinlein.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Alllllright...lets see here. Fantasy/sci-fi (aka my high school experience): Robert Jordan, Orson Scott Card (has done great work besides the Ender series), L.E. Modesitt, Piers Anthony, R.A. Salvatore, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, George R.R. Martin (I need to pick up his most recent...), Elizabeth Haydon, and I almost want to say Terry Goodkind but the last books in his series were pure trash. Still, his first book in the series, Wizards First Rule, was so good I finished it in one day (800+ pages). Terry Pratchett for humor, he is hit or miss I have found. People either love his humor or couldn't care less.

For short stories, Ray Bradbury is king. Dean Koontz is an easy read, good entertainment for distracting environments like airports, car rides, ect.

An ISTP friend of mine turned me onto Chuck Palahniuk early on. I have been following him since, but his novels can be so graphic with the nitty gritty details that I almost want to take a shower when I finish it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Patricia McKillip!!! I find it really sad that she is not more well known :( honestly she needs more fans, please let me know if you have heard of her I love her books so much! Maybe her books aren't infp but but I kinda think they are. She writes fantasy mainly, and its her stories i love. I love her eloquent, poetic writing style and how her stories are like a mystery that you can never quite figure out until the end of the book. I know her stories may not make much sense halfway through but it really all comes together in the end in such an unexpected, amazing way. Some of them start off slow but really if you get past that they are great. The first book i read by her i came across by chance at a flea market. The book was called "Riddle of Stars" and its still may favorite to this day. Its actually 3 books in one which are "Riddle Master of Hed" (i always pronounce it as Heed lol but i dont think there is any real pronounciation) "Heir of Sea and Fire" and the grand finale in "Harpist in the Wind". Other books by her i have read are: Ombria in Shadow, Bell at Sealy Head, Winter Rose, Alphabet of Thorn, and both Cygnet books. I loved all of them too :) Also she is great at painting a picture with words, and not only that but a very beautiful picture. the worlds her books take place in are so beautiful and and the way she describes it makes even a vast barren tundra seem magical and beautiful (ie the Northern Wastes of Harpist in the Wind). If a picture is worth a thousand words, the one of Patricia McKillip's books is worth a thousand pictures. :)

*sigh* I know Im not the only McKillip fan but well i haven't found any others.....yet. oh great look at all i just wrote :unsure: lol i must really like this author to be able to ramble like that :happy:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks for posting those books. I just googled Thich Nhat Hanh and found a cool quote, I liked it so much I put it in my sig. It's a good'un!
Oh wow i love that quote you put in your signature! and you found it today? ^^ that's neat.

"When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending."

This is something i have always believed strongly, of course this value often comes in conflict with what other people think. Im glad i found it in your signature :) i will make a note of it, but dont worry i wont use it as my signature here, that would be stealing lol. its such a beautiful quote though.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Oh wow i love that quote you put in your signature! and you found it today? ^^ that's neat.

"When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending."

This is something i have always believed strongly, of course this value often comes in conflict with what other people think. Im glad i found it in your signature :) i will make a note of it, but dont worry i wont use it as my signature here, that would be stealing lol. its such a beautiful quote though.
Ah steal away! It's a nice message to spread around and I agree, I have always thought that was true also, even though I sometimes forget it in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
An ISTP friend of mine turned me onto Chuck Palahniuk early on. I have been following him since, but his novels can be so graphic with the nitty gritty details that I almost want to take a shower when I finish it.
I've been a Palahniuk fan since I was around fifteen. But I totally understand this dirty feeling after reading him.
I still like the guy, but sometimes he just likes to shock. Luckily, there are some really interesting ideas mixed in there too and teenagers are actually willing to pick up his books.

I love Jane Austen and Fyodor Dostoevsky, but I'm also a huge fan of Sylvia Plath. I like the way her writing makes everything feel hazy like you're sitting outside in the summer heat while reading it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is The Fall the same as the movie? If so I must read! I loved that movie :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awh sorry havn't heard! but i will look into it :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I second Philip Pullman and Kurt Vonnegut!!

Other favorites:
Barbara Kingsolver
Jhumpa Lahiri
Wally Lamb
Margaret Atwood
Curtis Sittenfeld
Pablo Neruda

·
Registered
75 Posts
Phillip Pullman was my favorite author when I was in High School. I read all of the His Dark Materials over and over again the library lady even remembered that particular book ('The Subtle Knife', my favorite of the bunch).

Right now my current favorite one is Robin D. Owens; The Summoning Series. I've read the second one titled 'Sorceress of Faith' more times than I can even remember. It's just that good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts