Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you reach your idealised self? This pandemic is a mess but I want to know regardless.

Anyone know the answer? I’m trying to achieve something with my life and I’m working toward a vision, is there a way to make getting there easier.

For example, I want to make a song and become a musician but the road seems so long and faraway.

i’m a university student who, to my dismay picked up psychology after excelling in legal studies and law at university, I expected to gain a new perspective on connecting my skills to the world but it’s become difficult to see how to do that

I’m really confused in my life right now because of it. I don’t want to do an average job.

I’m skilled at so many different things it’s difficult to find one thing.

I have had so many different friends my age around 24, who are in the same position or worse. Stuck in endless joblessness and study . They’re all really smart, like this one guy who got the highest SATs in my grade but is pretty much like a confused bum right now.

How do we go from just smart homeless people, to smart working individuals in a field we genuinely like? We’re too confused to even know which discipline is right for us

How do I bring this road of idealised achievement closer?

I want to be more, I’m sick of being average.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Some people are natural creatives, and won't really be happy without that outlet. Unfortunately, things like music are notoriously hard to monetize. Very few make it, so to speak.

So if you're dead set on being a musician, you'll need to get a regular job that you may not like all that much. Something that you're good at and will pay the bills. While you're working that job, dedicate a chunk of your free time to your music (this also applies to writing, poetry, art, etc.). Save up some money as a fund. And if/when an opportunity presents itself to try to make music your career, you'll have an emergency fund to really make a go at it. A chance to take your shot, so to speak, without ending up homeless. And if you don't make it, you still have that other career/field to fall back on.

I’m really confused in my life right now because of it. I don’t want to do an average job.
The vast majority of jobs are things that people would consider average jobs. Instead of trying to find a job that is excellent, be excellent at the job you pick.

An average musician might teach or perform at small events. An excellent musician might be part of a renowned orchestra or draw large crowds for concerts.

An average construction worker goes to work, does the job, gets paid. An excellent construction worker leads the team, then the project, then the company.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people are natural creatives, and won't really be happy without that outlet. Unfortunately, things like music are notoriously hard to monetize. Very few make it, so to speak.

So if you're dead set on being a musician, you'll need to get a regular job that you may not like all that much. Something that you're good at and will pay the bills. While you're working that job, dedicate a chunk of your free time to your music (this also applies to writing, poetry, art, etc.). Save up some money as a fund. And if/when an opportunity presents itself to try to make music your career, you'll have an emergency fund to really make a go at it. A chance to take your shot, so to speak, without ending up homeless. And if you don't make it, you still have that other career/field to fall back on.

I’m not really dead set on being a musician alone, that’s the problem. It’s just that I have skills in so many different things, I’m being pulled in different directions and it’s confusing.

i will see if I can do that fund thing once I get back to my job, well at least when I get out of training

The vast majority of jobs are things that people would consider average jobs. Instead of trying to find a job that is excellent, be excellent at the job you pick.

An average musician might teach or perform at small events. An excellent musician might be part of a renowned orchestra or draw large crowds for concerts.

An average construction worker goes to work, does the job, gets paid. An excellent construction worker leads the team, then the project, then the company.

I reckon I could have been excellent at law because I’m motivated to learn it at a fundamental level. I wish I continued it but now I’m stuck with a psychology degree I have close to zero motivation to do some of these final year subjects

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need somewhere to vent again so sorry if anyone thinks I’m crazy or rambling on.

I just feel like it’s so easy to see the loops others go in, and I don’t see those loops in myself clearly it makes me angry.

The lack of the ability to give myself counselling or do a self-introspective analysis has really destroyed my life.

And yes, this kid still has problems with having the motivation to go through his degree it’s frustrating having low motivation and energy . There’s just such a mess to clean up.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You're not average... you're... painfully different. That's the problem. But do you want to be "average" or "ordinary"? Doesn't seem like it.

I want to give this thing a crack. But I need to know where you're at and what direction you want to go. You said you were in training before the pandemic hit?

We can talk about it here, or you can PM me. I got time.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're not average... you're... painfully different. That's the problem. But do you want to be "average" or "ordinary"? Doesn't seem like it.

Oh dear sorry if I’m coming off as painfully different. However, that is a nice way of seeing things from another perspective. I also realise I’m too hard on myself. I think I need to practice self-acceptance.

True, I don’t actually want to be average.

I want to give this thing a crack. But I need to know where you're at and what direction you want to go. You said you were in training before the pandemic hit?

We can talk about it here, or you can PM me. I got time.

Well, I’m at university trying to get through things and I want to be more motivated. My direction is something I’m looking for. I think that’s the main problem .

Training to be a radio announcer.

I’m happy with doing a PM but I think we can discuss what we need to here, I’m not bothered by it.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh dear sorry if I’m coming off as painfully different. However, that is a nice way of seeing things from another perspective. I also realise I’m too hard on myself. I think I need to practice self-acceptance.

True, I don’t actually want to be average.

Well, I’m at university trying to get through things and I want to be more motivated. My direction is something I’m looking for. I think that’s the main problem .

Training to be a radio announcer.

I’m happy with doing a PM but I think we can discuss what we need to here, I’m not bothered by it.
I thought it was painful for you, being different.

Radio announcer sounds pretty random. What sort of radio, AM/FM, what topics?

Hm, do you want to do more creative work, or be in a leadership role? Or more of an independent, project-based work?

If you want to get serious (read: a little obsessive) about job hunting, you could get a new-ish copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? I believe it's updated every year but the newest are expensive.

Alternatively, you could look at 80000hours.org for career ideas. Your smart but jobless friends might want to check it out, too. This is a good place to start: https://80000hours.org/career-decision/article/

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it was painful for you, being different.

Radio announcer sounds pretty random. What sort of radio, AM/FM, what topics?
not really topics. Just music for every generation

Hm, do you want to do more creative work, or be in a leadership role? Or more of an independent, project-based work?

If you want to get serious (read: a little obsessive) about job hunting, you could get a new-ish copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? I believe it's updated every year but the newest are expensive.
I want to do a side creative job but also do project based work . I’ll look into it

Alternatively, you could look at 80000hours.org for career ideas. Your smart but jobless friends might want to check it out, too. This is a good place to start: https://80000hours.org/career-decision/article/

That was an eye opening read. I guess I discovered my top career capital careers are in photography/film (something I’m being offered now but covid19 has got in the way of) and psychology/neuroscience research at this point (which I can set up in the future after I get my degree in psychology)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Fennel looking through the resources you gave, I have to say I see a discrepancy.

It asks what is your career capital (i.e. real strengths) and then immediately after asks what your ideal world is or job is.

I’m in a predicament where Law is a strength of mine, I used to be an honours student in the field (I still remember being discouraged from it a lot) and I was good at it in terms of the system and the education system. Same with photography and most of the visual art medium.

Though, my ideal world is of a neuroscience researcher, maybe a political figure, who works in government. A photographer. A musician. A lot of different things.

This is why I said it’s eye opening, it has brought a lot of clarity nonetheless to at least what the problem is, but I’m still looking for a clear answer I guess. Like it’s difficult to link up all the the different worldly directions to the different career capital strengths I have.

Odd thing is, I’m pursuing a neuroscience career and following the path of a psychology degree. I would say that psychology is not a strength of mine but I’m so far into it that I have to complete my final year.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
@Fennel looking through the resources you gave, I have to say I see a discrepancy.

It asks what is your career capital (i.e. real strengths) and then immediately after asks what your ideal world is or job is.

I’m in a predicament where Law is a strength of mine, I used to be an honours student in the field (I still remember being discouraged from it a lot) and I was good at it in terms of the system and the education system. Same with photography and most of the visual art medium.

Though, my ideal world is of a neuroscience researcher, maybe a political figure, who works in government. A photographer. A musician. A lot of different things.

This is why I said it’s eye opening, it has brought a lot of clarity nonetheless to at least what the problem is, but I’m still looking for a clear answer I guess. Like it’s difficult to link up all the the different worldly directions to the different career capital strengths I have.

Odd thing is, I’m pursuing a neuroscience career and following the path of a psychology degree. I would say that psychology is not a strength of mine but I’m so far into it that I have to complete my final year.
Glad to be of help. :)

Definitely complete your degree, while building your resume and portfolio. A psychology degree can be a stepping stone to a master's degree in another field. I find a lot of people like that, taking up teaching or law after what seems to be an unrelated bachelor's degree. What you study and focus on is up to you. What exact job you end up getting has more to do with luck, though. If that's the "clear answer" you're looking for, I'm afraid that won't come for a while.

Do the next thing. And the next thing. Do what you can do.

What do you believe in? Express it in your art and music, so anytime someone asks, you can just show them your work. There are many possible jobs in government, with different degrees of "creative" and "political". From telling your city's history through pictures, music and film, to advising high officials on important decisions based on what is legal and how people would react.

Here's another resource for you to consider. https://chrisguillebeau.com/a-brief-guide-to-world-domination/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts