Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm just curious as to what language(s) you all speak. My native languages are Spanish and English and am intermediate in Modern Greek. :)

Reactions: tylerofwahstate

·
Registered
456 Posts
Finnish and Swedish as first languages. Fluent English and I guess intermediate-ish German and basics of Italian. That's my languages. :)

Reactions: LegendaryBoobs

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
I'm not impressive language-wise. English is my native language and I have some pretty terrible, neglected Spanish and Japanese skills.

Reactions: LegendaryBoobs

·
Registered
252 Posts
Native French, basic Hungarian (family on mother's side) and pretty good English.

I'd love to learn Japanese (only know a few words and sentences). Chinese would be a better choice in terms of usefulness but I'm terrible at the tones. I think I sound like people on roller-coaster. Not natural at all. XD I can write a little in Korean too but I wasn't that interested in the language.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Native Serbian (it does cover similar languages such as Croatian or Bosnian, but in my opinion it's just variations of the same language), almost-fluent English, intermediate Japanese, and also intermediate Spanish but I've never actually studied it, all my knowledge comes from TV shows I watched as a kid, eh. I also have Latin classes but I can't tell if I'm good at it, since all we do is translate Cicero and similar stuff using dictionaries, so -- but I did learn enough grammar. I've been fond of languages all my life, especially since I got into high school, which focuses on language studies.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Native Serbian (it does cover similar languages such as Croatian or Bosnian, but in my opinion it's just variations of the same language), almost-fluent English, intermediate Japanese, and also intermediate Spanish but I've never actually studied it, all my knowledge comes from TV shows I watched as a kid, eh. I also have Latin classes but I can't tell if I'm good at it, since all we do is translate Cicero and similar stuff using dictionaries, so -- but I did learn enough grammar. I've been fond of languages all my life, especially since I got into high school, which focuses on language studies.
Wow, that sounds impressive. And you guys are all impressive. :wink:

I know English and Chinese. I would love to learn Japanese and one of these: Spanish/Portuguese/Russian/French/German, mostly just to be able to read.

Latin seems cool, but it's like a dead language that no one uses anymore and I doubt if I will be dedicated enough to learn it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Faroese and danish are my native languages. Fluent in english and know a little bit of german.

Had 3 years of french but learned nøthin! We just ate cake in that class instead of learning :frustrating:

Oh and I hope to start in sign-language after summer!! (should really read up on french though.... But I am not good on reading up on things :laughing: )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Native: Welsh and English (as I'm Welsh I learnt the two at the same time, we speak both Welsh and English in our home)
Learnt French in school, and self-taught German and Korean by my friends so we can have private conversations :)
I also know little pieces of other languages haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
Native swede. Fluent in english. Studied german (instead of french or spanish) for three years prior to high school (as you do in Sweden), but I don't remember much of what we supposedly "learned" during our sessions together.

I wouldn't mind learning some finnish, italian and czech. All because of Moonsorrow, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Arakain.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Faroese and danish are my native languages. Fluent in english and know a little bit of german.

Had 3 years of french but learned nøthin! We just ate cake in that class instead of learning :frustrating:

Oh and I hope to start in sign-language after summer!! (should really read up on french though.... But I am not good on reading up on things :laughing: )
Have you seen the Swedish Eurovision sign language interpreter? :perc2:

·
Registered
769 Posts
For a long time I could not learn English as a second language. Mainly because of communication problems that I'm struggling even with my native language. I could not leave foreign language, because it was a compulsory subject in school. At some point, however, there has been a breakthrough and I began to rapidly accelerate learning and make progress. And that is with everything, namely - everything is difficult until it becomes easy :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a native French speaker and speak fluent English. I'm advanced in Japanese, but I feel like I'm losing some due to lack of practice orz. I've learnt Spanish for four years and remember most of it, so I'd say I'm intermediate-level. Aside from that, I studied Russian intensively for a year, but I feel I've forgotten most of it as fast as I've learnt it--I can still understand basic-level conversations, but god forbid I tried to hold my own conversation. I'm currently studying Mandarin, and it's been going pretty well. :)

I love learning languages (linguistics major), and other languages I'd like to learn (after mastering the languages I've already started learning, of course) are German, Italian, and Swedish. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts