Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever accurately foreshadowed something that seemed unlikely, or at most only a chance possibility, at the time?

I sometimes wonder whether Ni - observing the underlying patterns of the world - gives INFJs an uncanny affinity towards premonition, particularly in people's lives? Of course, there is always confirmation bias involved with this but a couple of these chance "foreshadowings" occurred recently to me, and I'm wondering whether there's a connection between this and Ni.

For example, I knew that this girl was going to get pregnant in the near future (and I suspect that she'll regret it) at a time when everyone else around her were lauding her about how "wholesome" she and her values were. Lo and behold, she's recently announced a pregnancy (to a teenage father no less!) and I have to wonder why some people get so blindsided by this and by what people really are like on the inside.

Similarly, I knew a guy who was positively convinced that he was going to land a great job in no time, but I suspected, although I didn't tell him, that he wouldn't be able to find one in months (even though the job outlook is not so dire). Again, more than three months have passed, and no sign of a job ... he's surprised, I'm not.

Thirdly, I knew a girl from high school whom always struck me as malcontent. Dissatisfied with everything, and although she was a bit of a bitch towards me, I hoped that she'll at least be happy with something one day. I ran into her in the city a couple of days ago, and I gave her a friendly smile of acknowledgement ... which I almost had to stifle from turning into laughter as she could only respond by giving me her same old bitch face again, a look of pure envy. Mind you, more than 7 years has passed since high school (!). The hidden laughter was half-irony, half-pity ... that after all those years, she still couldn't get over her jealousy towards me.

This isn't by any means relishing in the misfortunes of others - rather, I'm beginning to acknowledge that there's a natural tendency - gravity - in the world, and things tend to run along a natural course.

The premonitions I outlined above are not by any stretch of the imagination "psychic" - rather, I think they can be logically deduced from these natural patterns of humans/human relationships. The girl, whom others had mistaken for being "headstrong", was simply "arrogant" and self-righteous, so it's only natural that she'll do something foolish in the future. The guy had a history of being able to talk the talk but not walk the walk, so I knew that, from the moment he proclaimed he'd land a great job, he wouldn't get one at all. The girl from high school - well, she's a malcontent at heart and so easily provoked into jealousy that she'd always suffer at the good fortunes of others.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you find yourself having a good foresight of others and/or in things to come?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

Not that I surprise myself, but I'm surprised that other people don't foresee the things I see before they happen or predicting chain of events and being already ready for them.

Like what the OP said, I don't think it is psychic but an accumulation of experiences then intuiting possible patterns which can keep adding links onto that pattern into the farsighted future.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Dot and pattern connecting that's logic based on human nature.

However, I dislike writing ppl off, always find redeeming quality in people I know. I am rooting for people to stay on course or to get on the right track. For those with personalities that can't help themselves, I try to be patient and understanding. Whatever I may "see", I keep to myself and hope for the best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This isn't by any means relishing in the misfortunes of others - rather, I'm beginning to acknowledge that there's a natural tendency - gravity - in the world, and things tend to run along a natural course.
I would agree with this. I have found no matter how much you want to change things or stop bad things from happening things may take months or years before they fully play out. You may have the foresight to see into the future, but you are powerless to change that future from taking place in the here and now. It's a tough thing to do, but am gradually learning to be more at ease and at one with the universe.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have found no matter how much you want to change things or stop bad things from happening things may take months or years before they fully play out. You may have the foresight to see into the future, but you are powerless to change that future from taking place in the here and now. It's a tough thing to do, but am gradually learning to be more at ease and at one with the universe.
This whole passage struck a chord with me. It's exactly what I've been learning recently, that as much as you want to intervene, sometimes it's for the better - which ultimately includes better for that person in mind- to just be part of the flow, to let the natural consequences of things happen. Maybe it's just me, but I think other INFJs can relate to the feeling of wanting to rescue everyone, and that's why it hurts the most to not speak when you can see.

On the corollary, it strengthens my conviction that revenge (the personal kind) is pointless and irrelevant in the end. In the end, people will always pay for their actions.

However, I dislike writing ppl off, always find redeeming quality in people I know. I am rooting for people to stay on course or to get on the right track. For those with personalities that can't help themselves, I try to be patient and understanding. Whatever I may "see", I keep to myself and hope for the best.
Don't get me wrong - observing gravity is not the same as wishing a fall.

I'm just beginning to think now that more than a personality "flaw" or envisioning people as going "off the rails", every action imparts a sort of ripple and by following these ripples, you can see far out into the future.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Don't get me wrong - observing gravity is not the same as wishing a fall.

I'm just beginning to think now that more than a personality "flaw" or envisioning people as going "off the rails", every action imparts a sort of ripple and by following these ripples, you can see far out into the future.

People are not always alone. A person on his own may follow a course that you "see" but a person with someone else the dynamics may change. For 30 years since college I've seen quite a few changes in people because of their spouse and/or children.

Only one friend (ESFP) has been changed for the worse because of the woman he's married to. For 20 years she belittles him and does so in front of his son. He doorslams his siblings because his wife demanded it. He cleaned out his father's bank account before his dad passed away and showed up at his dad's funeral decked out in Armani suit (him) and Chanel dress (his wife) that they could not afford before. He's not the gregarious and popular guy I used to adore when we were the best of friends in college. I certainly didn't see that in him. Then again I don't know his wife, never met her. His youngest sister told me all of these last year after we reconnected via social media.

Reactions: jenecis

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Premonitory power for me comes from feeling 'imbalances' in another person's psyche (aka my own psyche) combined with the recognition that nature seems to exhibit a tendency to 'wring out' or correct those imbalances.

because the function of the unconscious is to ‘keep balance within the mind,’ the personal unconscious will actually override a person’s conscious decision making ability and compel them to make mistakes in order to facilitate self-actualization or Individuation.

These unconscious tendencies overpower our conscious, and circumnavigate our will, in order to release the psychic contents that are expressions of the bottled up incongruities of the unconscious, always at the expense of the subject who usually doesn’t really know why they are doing it.
I don't know the source of the above quote (jung? jacobi?). Found it on this website.

When I talk to someone who's really honest with themselves and who has a high degree of emotional maturity I have no idea what their future holds. I get nothing from them. No sense of premonition at all. The imbalances aren't significant enough to form premonitions.

But if I know myself to be extraordinarily smart/funny/insightful/attractive/good/etc the universe will probably eventually find a way to dispel me of those false notions in the same way it'll eventually wring out the false notion that I'm immune to fire/drowning/bullets/grizzly bears/etc...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tend not to believe in paranormal, but many times I have a hunch about my own future, other people's not so much. Some of the least explainable situations were in high school, when I always "knew" if there would be a "surprise" exam, or if a planned exam would be cancelled, or if certain teachers would call me out for verbal questioning... I have no logical explanation for this. It's just that whenever I would feel an urgency to study and rehearse stuff (usually the morning before the school would start) I would be questioned that day. And if I felt especially lazy and couldn't make myself to study even if an important exam was to happen the next day, practically every time it would be cancelled the next day.

I have no explanation, no theory and don't even want to start guessing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.