Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get virtually zero entertainment value out of such shows as Breaking Bad, Sopranos, 24, Lost..all that stuff?

Any time I have ever watched an episode or two I felt no compulsion to continue watching any following episodes.

Maybe this has been brought up before, but am just wondering if more of us feel similarly? It's got to the point where I consider someone watching one of those shows, and think that they are utterly wasting their precious time on this planet. I know it's a free country, and one thing is as good as the next in truth, but I just don't see any good in breaking bad. At least it's not called Breaking Good

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Does anyone else get virtually zero entertainment value out of such shows as Breaking Bad, Sopranos, 24, Lost..all that stuff?

Any time I have ever watched an episode or two I felt no compulsion to continue watching any following episodes.

Maybe this has been brought up before, but am just wondering if more of us feel similarly? It's got to the point where I consider someone watching one of those shows, and think that they are utterly wasting their precious time on this planet. I know it's a free country, and one thing is as good as the next in truth, but I just don't see any good in breaking bad. At least it's not called Breaking Good
I suppose it depends on the show. I love Breaking Bad, tried 24 and couldn't get into it, and really couldn't get into the Sopranos either. Now that I think on it, I don't usually appreciate most shows and rarely will sit through and watch an entire one.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm with you on Breaking Bad - I don't understand the hype and I watched 4 seasons of it. Lumping the rest of those shows in the same bucket is kind of puzzling though.
What is your purpose in watching those shows if you aren't looking for entertainment? What is a show you do like?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with you on Breaking Bad - I don't understand they hype and I watched 4 seasons of it. Lumping the rest of those shows in the same bucket is kind of puzzling though.
What is your purpose in watching those shows if you aren't looking for entertainment? What is a show you do like?
Arcade Fire live would be up there! I have some type of inbuilt aversion to any of those tv series. It makes me wonder if I'm just being stubborn or odd, repelling away from the thing that everyone else seems drawn towards. But maybe it's not that, it's more a dislike of made up stories. They can be representative of truth, but it's much more enjoyable to get a truth feed directly.

I don't watch those shows, but people try to encourage me to watch them, but even if I had nothing to do of an evening, and there was the entire Breaking Bad discography ready to roll, I doubt I'd turn it on.

I'm probably wrong lumping those shows into the same bucket, they must all have their different qualities and so forth. I guess I just don't like fictional shows.

Neil DeMarijuana Tyson is presenting a new Cosmos series in 2014. That should be sweet.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
the only television shows I ever liked:
The Cosby Show
Home Improvement
Everybody Loves Raymond
Seinfeld
White Collar
Star Trek TNG
Numb3rs
Sliders (first 3-5 seasons or so. not sure. show when downhill after it changed hands)

·
Registered
6,778 Posts

Do you watch any television for entertainment? What's a 'good' program if you do?

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
I had to stop watching Breaking Bad at around the 3rd or 4th series as it started to make me physically uncomfortable. WW Jr is the only character I could relate to and in the end, it's just not worth it to watch just because other people you know are watching/talking about it.

Haven't seen those other shows, so I can't comment.

I think television in general is losing its appeal so shows are becoming much more extreme to keep viewers watching, another example (I still watch) is the Game of Thrones which shows much more graphic violence and sex than would have been accepted even 15 years ago.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Arcade Fire live would be up there! I have some type of inbuilt aversion to any of those tv series. It makes me wonder if I'm just being stubborn or odd, repelling away from the thing that everyone else seems drawn towards. But maybe it's not that, it's more a dislike of made up stories. They can be representative of truth, but it's much more enjoyable to get a truth feed directly.

I don't watch those shows, but people try to encourage me to watch them, but even if I had nothing to do of an evening, and there was the entire Breaking Bad discography ready to roll, I doubt I'd turn it on.

I'm probably wrong lumping those shows into the same bucket, they must all have their different qualities and so forth. I guess I just don't like fictional shows.

Neil DeMarijuana Tyson is presenting a new Cosmos series in 2014. That should be sweet.
I love Arcade Fire and am looking forward to the new album.

I do think some people really detest just about every type of fictional show and really prefer documentary/history channel type stuff.
INTPs seem to dislike shows that show typical patterns and formula and discard them when they begin to approach or display or hint at those traits.

What I liked about Sopranos was that the characters aren't black or white and a lot of the audience felt guilty about cheering on seriously unscrupulous murderous, lying, cheating characters with just enough touch of humanity to also make you root for them. It was one of the first shows that featured a "bad guy" protagonist. It was also complimented by former mafia members for its realism (and also featured formerly connected members).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I must say I've fallen for a lot of hit shows recently, like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead(well I've always loved zombies), Lost, and even Pretty Little Liars(shhhhh:blushed:). Then again there's plently of them I think are dumb as all get out too. Sometimes I think I've just fallen for the trap.. and by that I mean I just want to see what happens next. I could care less that they're hits or that other people are talking about it. Hell, it's just something to do honestly.

When it comes down to it I'm really just a cartoon person though, because cartoons are the best. When it really really comes down to it however, Youtube puts TV as a whole to shame.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I like Breaking Bad because I relate rather strongly to Walter
I like Game of Thrones because I relate rather strongly to Tyrion
I like House of Cards because I relate rather strongly to Frank

All 3 of those shows are also incredibly cynical which appeals to me obviously.

·
Registered
52 Posts

You probably didn't enjoy, "Breaking Bad" because you just watched the first season. Literally the vast majority of the first season of that show is watching Walter Junior eat breakfast. Watch the second season and you will like the show a lot better. The show gets better with each season that progresses.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
You must hate shows where lions just eat wildebeasts all day long. Maybe if Bob Saget narrated them?
Sometimes these are alright when they have British narrators, especially when they refer to zebras and donkeys as ''wild ass''.

Yeah, similar trouble watching sports or Big Fucking Things That Go Boom Boom.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.