Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like in every day life we forget that one day all this will not exist forever. ALL GONE

ALL GONE.
NON-EXISTENCE FOREVER.

My point is, the more I realise it, the more I am motivated to make the most of life, but when i fall back into old thought patterns I squander and waste away my life, how can I stay in the state permanently? any thoughts/comments on this?

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Tomorrow is promised to no one. So pursue what makes you happy. Pursue as if you'll live forever. Never give up. This way, when tomorrow is no longer promised to you, you can let go knowing you've done the best you could with what you had, within each point in time ...

That or start smoking copious amounts of ganja. Because you're kinda being a buzz kill :p

You should be in time out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's great you're in a positive frame of mind. Hope that stays with you. :happy:

Viktor Frankl was a neurologist and psychologist who was dehumanized and survived the concentration camps (during WWII) has some interesting thoughts on finding meaning even in suffering. He found existential neurosis is synonymous with a crisis of meaninglessness. He believed people find meaning by one of any 3 ways: purposeful work, love, and courage in the face of difficulty. The meaning to life differs from person to person.

I forget where I read it but I believe Richard Feynman in a conversation with a friend mentioned he wasn't worried about death because he knew he spread himself around enough that he'd continue to live on through his stories and people he's affected. Hope you seek whatever that may be.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You can't. Forcing yourself to "Do something with your life" almost never works, and often leads to panicking because you will never become anything blah blah blah.

But I honestly don't agree with the "Life is short you have to do something" mindset. Because you really don't. If you can help a couple people out in your life it was worth while.
I'm personally comforted by the fact that I don't really matter. A the line in a song I like is "Sure rock and roll is fun, but if you ever hear someone say you are huge look at the moon look at the stars look at the sun, look at the ocean and the dessert and the mountains and the sky, say I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye"

If you really want to make a change though, think what exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to be healthier? Enrich your mind? Help people out? Invent something cool? Write a great book? Design a helpful program?
The easiest way to fall back into old habits is to decide to just do something. You can't do something forever, you need some sort of goal. Or lots of little ones to help your side-tracking ENTP mind. Like if you want to help people, try volunteering at a different place every saturday. If you want to eat healthier try new fruits and vegetable recipes that you've never tried. But keep with it. Don't let yourself break from it until it's a habit. Otherwise you just go back to normal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the part where he goes "I am alive, I am a human" when those moments hit, i feel like i've been shown the truth, and I get all this energy to really live my life rather than go into my lazy ways, but it doesn't last, it's as if the truth only shows itself every now and then, i want it to last, any thoughts?:unsure:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Best advice I have was this quote from Jobs. Of course you have to sprinkle it a bit with the knowledge that today most likely isn't the last day of your life so you should exercise a little prudence in case tomorrow does actually come.

“I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”

― Steve Jobs

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK GUYS PLEASE QUOTE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO WRITE IF IT IS WRONG OR THANK IT IF IT IS RIGHT
from now on when ever i am aware of the seconds ticking away, or aware that I am alive I will focus on the most important thing i could be doing right now, is that a bad habit, does it have flaws or does it sound good?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't like following directions when it clearly isn't in the person's best interest. You seek approval for something that isn't in "everyone's" purview. Living your own life should be the goal, not needing validation that you are making a good decision from others.

Other people don't have the answers you are looking for. Nobody does. There aren't any answers, just questions and probable outcomes. You should learn that life is uncertain and the only power you have against that is the ability to not let it paralyze you.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
OK GUYS PLEASE QUOTE WHAT I AM ABOUT TO WRITE IF IT IS WRONG OR THANK IT IF IT IS RIGHT
from now on when ever i am aware of the seconds ticking away, or aware that I am alive I will focus on the most important thing i could be doing right now, is that a bad habit, does it have flaws or does it sound good?
How can you appreciate the good times without bad ones. Life isn't meant to be perfect, its meant to have lots of ups and downs. So what you get lazy, welcome to reality, we all get lazy. Life to me is a beautiful thing, yet at the same time it's a bitch at times. Take a look around you, people are like robots, we get up and do the same thing every day. Try and focus on adventures, do things you're afraid of, set goals. Try and have things to look forward too, even if they are small things. Try not to be so tough on yourself, you're human. Don't think, DO !

Reactions: petite libellule

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

the part where he goes "I am alive, I am a human" when those moments hit, i feel like i've been shown the truth, and I get all this energy to really live my life rather than go into my lazy ways, but it doesn't last, it's as if the truth only shows itself every now and then, i want it to last, any thoughts?:unsure:
I've had more than my fair share of brushes with death, admittedly many times due to stupidity. I think that paired with Se and I don't forget that I will die. People may laugh at my YOLO attitude, but I don't have any regrets. I don't have any missed opportunities. If it was something I wanted, went after it. I don't just remember my successes but also my failures. It's part of why I don't eat the same food every day. I don't go to the same places. I don't stay in the same home or job. My husband is often my compass, so I'm not spinning around without direction.

Not everyone forgets that they will die. I don't.

ETA: I'm from UK and dropped out at the end of my first year of Uni. I suddenly realized that I didn't want to be there. I took off and did my own thing. So GLAD I did that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That video is awesome. I went through this myself and currently am going through this.

Don't forget that the world has awesome awesome things in it. Amazing places to see, amazing things to do. Life's worth living, because if you make it wonderful, so it will be. Try it! Use the knowledge of your death as encouragement to do something great with life.

If you're currently down, make things better!

PS: If you want, you can PM me about this with any more questions, I've been in this exact boat. I can relate x1000000 and hopefully can help you.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Life is a balance of learning to hold on, and let go.

I think while it doesn't sound like a flaw, it doesn't sound like it has any counterweight, such as .. enjoying the moment(who you are and what you're doing). If doing the most important thing Always entails neglecting what makes life meaningful, what is important becomes more or less, inconsequential. Don't you think ?

·
Registered
6,146 Posts

I mean seriously?
By your logic, the concept of things degrading to nothing will also degrade.
The bad things you do will also be forgotten.
The point found will be lost, the point lost will be found.

It's an endless cycle. The better question is: Why the hell are bananas yellow, but banana leaves stay green?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts