Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, Fi CAN do this. it isn't hard to tell who is putting up a front/fulfilling a social role/being fake vs someone who is truly doing what they feel like. that's right, we CAN see through to the inner essence of a person. anyone who says we either does not have strong Fi or doesn't trust theirs. it's called being a good judge of character, and people with strong Fi are damn good at it

I decided to post this because, in the last few days accused several people of perpetuating stereotypes/not being themselves and was met with "how do you know what's natural for them?". the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I understand...I guess it's just hard for some to believe. I too can pick up on someone being "natural" vs. "fake" through text on a forum. I don't know exactly why; I think you're right that it's Fi, but I think Ne plays a huge role in it as well because it's picking up patterns and discrepancies in a person's behavior. We also think of the possibilities and motives of the person behind the screen. Obviously I know that it's not 100% accurate, but I definitely trust that feeling I get when I think someone is being fake, or talking themselves into being a type they want to be, rather than who they really are.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I understand...I guess it's just hard for some to believe. I too can pick up on someone being "natural" vs. "fake" through text on a forum. I don't know exactly why; I think you're right that it's Fi, but I think Ne plays a huge role in it as well because it's picking up patterns and discrepancies in a person's behavior. We also think of the possibilities and motives of the person behind the screen. Obviously I know that it's not 100% accurate, but I definitely trust that feeling I get when I think someone is being fake, or talking themselves into being a type they want to be, rather than who they really are.
Agreed, especially the part you mentioned about those who talk themselves into a type, when it is so clear and obvious they aren't. I suppose once we become familiar with how the functions work, it becomes clear through expression. Ne-Ni , Fi-Fe are the clearest for me personally, so i can't be fooled in this regard.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Oh yeah, judging character is pretty simple. My inability to grasp the nuances of Fe is what drives me to often clarify for people: "I do/say things for me, if you don't like it... Not my problem". Whilst I think that Ne and Te are invaluable. Following multiple possibilities allows me to contemplate "real" vs "fake" behaviours. Applying a bit of Te to the scenario allows me to detect observable patterns which so often reveal agendas. Ne-Fi-Te is such a nifty tool to have IMO.

·
Registered
874 Posts
yes, Fi CAN do this. it isn't hard to tell who is putting up a front/fulfilling a social role/being fake vs someone who is truly doing what they feel like. that's right, we CAN see through to the inner essence of a person. anyone who says we either does not have strong Fi or doesn't trust theirs. it's called being a good judge of character, and people with strong Fi are damn good at it

I decided to post this because, in the last few days accused several people of perpetuating stereotypes/not being themselves and was met with "how do you know what's natural for them?". the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you.
A brief taste of INFPness.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah. I can, and I find it uncomfortable when they fake, especially in the forums where I can't hold up their true selves (since I'm least interested for an infraction).
It happened between me and my tutor. I respect him but he has got a problem of trolling with people of close relationships with their loved ones to create a gap between them. He knew about my close relationship with my sister and he just wanted to troll by creating a gap between her and me. He's got a habit of trolling with everyone and he even succeeds. But I could read right through him by his behavior by using my Ne, and back then, I didn't know about his unique habit. He kinda tried to manipulate me against my sister, but he was caught. And then, back to my formula. I made him feel that he has succeeded while I lied to him saying that I had a big quarrel with my sister. I knew he would feel good after hearing that, and he really felt good. (though he pretended that he didn't) Even now, he knows that my sister doesn't talk to me, while we're living happily ever after here.

This makes me think, that why don't people at least try analyzing the person before faking in front of them or trying to manipulate them? At least, if they're good manipulators, then I can learn from them a bit more about faking and manipulation. lol

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry, but my fi and ne do get things wrong - jumping to conclusions and
making assumptions.

I have known many enfp's and infp's who do this.

BUT when it's used properly it can be spot on; we just need to be aware that
it can still stuff up.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, but my fi and ne do get things wrong - jumping to conclusions and
making assumptions.

I have known many enfp's and infp's who do this.

BUT when it's used properly it can be spot on; we just need to be aware that
it can still stuff up.
agreed. it doesn't have 100% accuracy.
also, I'm sure most of us don't go calling everyone out we pick up on our BS detector

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even though I think you have the guts to do so! LOL
yup, there's plenty mwahaha
I just don't usually think it's any of my business and save judgement for when I am more certain of it's correctness.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
While I don't call out everyone that I "suspect" of being full of it, I will make a mental note of it. I surely will not trust the person. Generally, if I come into contact with the person once, or twice and the interactions are superficial, I wont even bother. However, if this is someone who is trying to befriend me or is in close quarters with me, I won't be able to bite my tongue for very long. I "flag" inconsistencies in mannerisms, stories you tell, how you act in certain situations and around certain people etc. I call myself building a case and I'll compile a fair amount of information before I confront you with it because otherwise, I'd look like an ass. I had an ESFJ friend once who was pretty fake and was always trying to conform her behavior to her surroundings to be accepted (i guess?) and other people ate it up and didn't notice. When I called b.s. on her she'd give me the confused face like she had no idea. yea, I bet she didn't. :dry:

To be honest though, Im not in the business of convincing other people of anything I can do. Sure, I can spot real-ness and fake-ness. Other people can call bullshit all they want, but it aint gonna stop me from looking out for myself and protecting myself from it.

I think this is a case of "haters gon hate". Let them keep doubting you SOM and when your prediction comes to fruition, not one fuck should be given to them.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
agreed. it doesn't have 100% accuracy.
also, I'm sure most of us don't go calling everyone out we pick up on our BS detector
LOlz, i'd been on infraction # 100 if i disclosed my BS detector..haha!!! OPPs, not worth it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My fakeness detector gets so confused by dom Fe types. I know they really do have values oriented towards their external environments and social ties, so even if I think they're not being totally honest and sharing their "deep" feelings I have to keep in mind there might not be anything deeper there. Like, not everyone wears the mask we Fi types have to employ for protecting our idealistic soft squishy centers from the harshness of reality, lol. Esfjs and enfjs especially are hardest for me to read.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My fakeness detector gets so confused by dom Fe types. I know they really do have values oriented towards their external environments and social ties, so even if I think they're not being totally honest and sharing their "deep" feelings I have to keep in mind there might not be anything deeper there. Like, not everyone wears the mask we Fi types have to employ for protecting our idealistic soft squishy centers from the harshness of reality, lol. Esfjs and enfjs especially are hardest for me to read.
INFJs confuse me the most. they're like a bizarre fusion of ISFJ, ENFJ, INTP and a little bit of INTJ

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I get thrown by ISTPs in a reading-too-far-into-things way.
haha, so do I!

I once dated one...

we had an argument over something minor. He didn't answer my calls for a few days. So I sat by myself, creating some crazy-scenario in my head....that resulted in me concluding that he MUST have left me for another woman....or something...

anyway, I get a phonecall from him a few days later. I pick up the phone and start blabbering down the line "I'M SO SORRY....I DROVE YOU INTO THE ARMS OF ANOTHER WOMAN....WAAaaaAAAaaaAaaaaa"

He's like, "WTF...I went camping with some friends and my phone ran out of battery" :dry:

NOTE: I was very young and pretty immature at the time though

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I called b.s. on her she'd give me the confused face like she had no idea. yea, I bet she didn't.
I find this bit interesting.

I have always thought I was able to "read" people in that way, too. It's often a lot easier to see it in others than it is in yourself...and therefore I do think that most people who are acting "fake" don't actually realise they're doing it most of the time.

I don't think they are conscious of a black-and-white "real" and "fake" self...there's a hell of a lot going on in there. Well in my mind anyway.

And if someone told me I was being fake...well...chances are my first reaction would be to disagree and be confused about what this person meant. Even if I had any inkling that they were on to something, it feels very shameful to admit it then and there.

Example: an acquaintance and I went to a shop the other day. I made some friendly chit-chat with the person at the till - it was all very superficial, as that kind of stuff is - just being polite. The guy I was with was like "man you're so fake". At the time, I thought, wow, I was just being polite!! But then I do get what he means - that's not how I would act around people who know me - I wouldn't make conversation for the hell of it - I just conformed to a social norm because it was more comfortable than giving the person at the till a blank stare and just saying "there's no point in us talking, you're just here to serve me". Lol.

See? I mean that might seem like a tedious example, but really, we do all sorts of things because it's more comfortable...like not mentioning that your friend's clothes are a bit tight for her, that the meal your dad cooked wasn't very nice, etc. Some people take it to extremes in order to avoid conflict.

Point is, it is annoying....in other people!! But I think we all do it - sometimes it serves a purpose and is for the greater good - and that's pretty subjective. And to go to the opposite extreme and to never compromise and completely embrace confrontation and conflict is just a tad obnoxious.

If someone's being over polite all the time, it really grates, for instance. But it's not as bad as if someone lies all the time because the truth is uncomfortable.

Hmmm...this has made me think. Fakeness - is it fake behaviour because it seems like an unnatural thing to do, because it seems to conflict with their values, or with yours?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts