Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been discussing free spirits with my friend lately. She thinks that free spirits just are, they can't be created. I'm not sure,but I would expect that FPs would be true free spirits, especially IxFPs.

Anyone have any thoughts on free spirits and type?

Also, would you want to be a free spirit? In a lot of shows my friend and I are watching these (INFP) girls are striving to be "free spirits," and like... I don't know the appeal. I want to be a kind spirit. I want to be a helpful spirit. I want to have spirit in general, broadly. But a free spirit? I don't know, I don't think I'm a free spirit but I don't see what the advantage would be to have a free spirit.

And if anyone could give me a personal definition of a free spirit, that would be cool too :)

Thank you all in advance for any responses ~

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think why you don't see the appeal in being a free spirit is due to your dominant Fe. It gives you that desire to help people. You don't want to escape, like most free spirits want to do. You want to be one with people. Unite with them! That's what makes you a "helpful spirit." I'd like to leave this here. Perhaps it describes you somewhat?

But if you want a good description of a free spirit, then here. Much of this rings very strongly with me.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think why you don't see the appeal in being a free spirit is due to your dominant Fe. It gives you that desire to help people. You don't want to escape, like most free spirits want to do. You want to be one with people. Unite with them! That's what makes you a "helpful spirit." I'd like to leave this here. Perhaps it describes you somewhat?

But if you want a good description of a free spirit, then here. Much of this rings very strongly with me.
Yeah, I can see how that would make sense, as for A Flat Major, I relate a teeny bit. I mean, even when I was like ten my friend's moms were going "you're going to make such" so I guess I could give this robe, haha I have bigger dreams than that - I don't want to just bake cookies and look at old love letters - but I can see how in general that would be somewhat fitting of me.

Thank you for sharing!

Oh, and, listening to the D Flat Major one, I can see how I would want to be like that? I mean I love reading books and learning, and the whole "modest means" thing. But that's not what I strive for? Like I definitely care what society thinks of me, and helping is my purpose in life. I like spiritual stuff, but I like figuring out spiritual stuff through engaging with the world and getting involved. Oh, and I used to not be cynical, but that's changed lately :) and I love worldly affairs. Hmm.

I guess I can see now why people would want to be a free spirit. It's still not something I would particularly like to embody - helping spirit, yes, that's what I would like to be - but I can see how it would be lovely to be like that. That must be a nice life to live :)

I can see how people would see me as that too though. "Sunshine in a jar"... That's how everyone used to see me, eh. But that aside ~

Reactions: Innogen

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't that a term for ENTPs?
Never heard it for ENTPs, but I was wondering what types it could be applied to... So thank you for responding. Do you have any elaboration on how that could describe ENTPs, though?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Never heard it for ENTPs, but I was wondering what types it could be applied to... So thank you for responding. Do you have any elaboration on how that could describe ENTPs, though?
I think that's what ENTPs are referred to as on Tomodachi Life.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Let me tell you

I know a free spirit, and she it awesome, she has all these amazing ideas, which I love, but they are not structured. They just go with the flow, they have no ending.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I'm not a "free spirit",thank God lol
Seems like a xxFP thing,many people from the college I used to go to were kinda like that(it was a very FP environment),I quit XD

edit: don't get me wrong,I'm not hating on FP's,but I guess just that particular kind and the ones who are so proud of being "free spirit",whatever that means(they don't have to be FP,I'm sure there are some other types too)

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
She thinks that free spirits just are, they can't be created.

Anyone have any thoughts on free spirits and type?

Also, would you want to be a free spirit?
I describe myself as a free spirit since I hold no attachments to people, places or things. I tend to move location a lot (about every 2yrs) and jobs about every 5yrs. The ultimate profession for me is to be self employed doing whatever arty thing takes my fancy. At the moment I work in travel and live out of a suitcase. I am highly resistant to commitments and being rooted in the same place or career for too long. I do not enjoy the feeling of obligation or responsibility to anyone other than myself. This would be my definition of a free spirit.

I think it's unrelated to MBTI type although may have correlations (not causations) with Enneagram types, since Enneagram describes people's core motivations and expressions in life.

As to whether or not they can be created? I think this way of being as a dominant energy may have a lot to do with personal demons and issues (see Enneagram) and so in a way is symptom of something rather than an outcome of something. I don't think people's core motivations change much during a lifetime, although their expression of those motivations certainly can. The life challenge of a free spirit is to learn to see responsibilities as a freedom rather than a burden. Learn to appreciate being grounded and rooted in life, rather than amorphous and floating free.

I think it's less about wanting to be a free spirit and more about wanting to escape the realities of life which are perceived as burdensome and unwelcome. I would not wish to be a free spirit if I wasn't one already, although it may appeal from the outside when you are not also living all the downsides of it. Being rootless in life is anxiety producing and disconnects you from things you might value like a sense of place, sense of community and belonging. It's difficult to maintain familial attachments and friends fall by the wayside as quickly as you make them. It's also a terrible life strategy for achieving longterm goals or contributing to society in the greatest capacity to which you are able.

Free spirits are often seen as lazy parasites and in a way I can agree with that assessement partially. I know I would produce more and be more valuable to others if I was more grounded in life. One the other hand what I do produce a lot of is idea's, idealism and confidence to make sweeping changes. It's a mixed bag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.