Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a silly thread, nothing too deep here.

I have an enfp friend that I do spend a fair amount of time with. We walk around a lot go to pubs or restaurants or wherever. One day about 6 months ago, he said to me..."you know one thing I've always noticed about you, is that every where you go, people give you free stuff or excessively good service or deals."

It caught me off guard and I said yeah right, you're BS'ing me, no one does that. He began listing off years of examples and by the end of it I started thinking crap he might be right. In fact the more I thought about it I realized it's true and it's been that way my whole life, I think I just figured most people are treated that way, so it never stood out in my mind.

I began polling my other friends and family and they said they notice it too and it's why they always want me to come along with them when they purchase big ticket items.

So in critically analyzing this phenomenon, I don't think it has anything to do with my looks, as the treatment I get comes from across the board, old women, teenagers, men, no specific groups that way. I am very polite and respectful to all people but I'm Canadian, it's kind of what most of us do.

Then I started thinking is this one of the benefits of being an infp? I'm non threatening, benign, neutral, maybe child like , a spaced out dream cadet. Maybe this all invokes some kind of paternal instincts in people, I don't know for sure.

So I ask my fellow INFP'ers , do you receive this kind of treatment by society? Is this one of the few infp benefits or am I generalizing that this could all happen to us as a group?

p.s. I'm happy to cite examples if you ask.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I get free things often but never actually realise most of the time until mention by someone, Then I'm like "ooh yeah"

Recently got free tickets for me and my girlfriend to see my favorite band Next month. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Not at all, I usually have to end up haggling / flirting haha. .. .. . a laugh of shame :(

Reactions: Stillwater

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me it's not a case of wanting things or asking for them. I'll just be minding my own business and people will just come up and give them to me.

Last weekend a few of my friends and I were in a late night take out cafe, we all ordered pretty much the same thing, I was the last in line, when it got to me the owner came out from behind the back and whispered something to the cashier girl, she looked at me and smiled and said.. "he said to give you an extra 50% off your meal", I said oh ok sure, I'd never been there before. Of course my friends were all pissed off. Then later we went to a pub that serves a million kind of beers, I was curious about a japanese private reserve beer and said to the bartender, hmm I'd like to try that one... do you know if it's good? He brought it to me and said just take it, it's on the house. Again pissing off my friends haha.

Yesterday I placed an order for butter chicken at a local restaurant and said I'll be back in 15 minutes to pick it up and gave them the $, I showed up later to get it and realized I'd forgotten to order sides of rice and naan bread and dipping sauces, pulled out my wallet and said oh i forgot to order this other stuff I'll pay for it now, the girl packaged it all up and said oh just take it and smiled. These are just small recent examples of what happens to me almost every day. I don't ask for it or imply I want anything, I'm an introvert , I'm happy just to exist on my own little planet with minimal intrusions. I once had someone pick me out on a crowded sidewalk and ask if I eat a lot of salad, I said yeah, and he handed me a grocery bag filled with lettuce and salad dressings and stuff from Safeway and said you take it, I'm going to eat out tonight. Kind of bizarre actually.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I get free things in excess... I am really starting to hate it! STOP GIVING ME THINGS. It makes me feel guilty, and I seriously mean it. People don't believe me and laugh it off, "haha we love spoiling you." Ugh. I am happy with what I have, please stoppp. On a daily basis I do get good things like good service and deals and stuff, my friends and family say it is because I am cute, but I think politeness has a lot to do with it, especially in NY where people have serious attitude problems. Being cute, pretty, hot, whatever, it doesn't matter if you're just rude to everyone no one will like you at all. :s

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, no I don't, plus I'm a pretty "devout" atheist. There has to be something to this, surely as mild mannered, non assuming introverts, we must get treated better than -some- loud obnoxious extroverts, maybe by expecting nothing or wanting little in some buddhist karmic way , we receive, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
15,539 Posts
I receive excellent service just about everywhere I go. Keep in mind I'm much older yet I get called baby, sweetheart and darling a lot. lol,, I think it is my vibe or big eyes. I don't get a lot of free things tho. If I am a nine, maybe it's the peacemaker thing.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
People seem to like giving me love life advice for free..makes me wonder if I look desperate or something..damn
Haha, the most common freebie anyone will ever get.

Free advice you usually never asked for.

ding ding ding -- INFP freebie in a nutshell.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny enough I'm never given advice.

I think I'm slightly moving in thought as to how well we're treated in general in public, with daily interactions. By some responses, it sounds favorable so far.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fun stuff, people in general tend to be generous towards me.

Friends WANT to/try to pay for food aswell, which I have a hard time accepting.

Sometimes strangers go out of their way as well, no clue as to why though.

Then again, I give away stuff whenever I can afford it, might be karma:proud:

·
Registered
251 Posts
People don't give me free things all the time, but I know where to find free things when I need them. I think this comes from spending most of my life very poor, though, rather than because of my type. ^^;

I guess, though, people do want to pay for things for me quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's because I'm so honestly grateful or because it used to be a terrible hardship for me to spend money on anything. Probably a combination of both. I suppose we're more honest and less devious than some other types, so this makes people trust us enough to give more freely, I guess?

I don't know, but I do have a hard time getting my friends to let me pay... especially the SF, she won't let me pay for anything >_>;

·
Registered
701 Posts
Maybe I have a trusting face or something, but while I don't get stuff for free usually, I get a lot of stuff for a discount, and I can't even count how many times I've been able to get on the bus without a fare at all (obviously only when I'm desperate and actually don't have money), never mind with less than the fare. Weird. Strangers will also call me "dear" and "kiddo" and "darling" and that kind of thing even though I'm about 5' 10" and 21 years old... very strange. And sometimes annoying, but whatever.

Reactions: Stillwater and Riy

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't necessarily get free things, but I do tend to get good service. That most likely has to do with all the yes's, no's, thank you's, please's, pardon me's, Oh! sure's, *big smiles*, lots of laughter, and other such things that I always do when out in public. I always try to make other people feel at ease and happy, so I guess I get good service because of that.

I probably also unconsciously flirt with everyone and anyone without realizing it... :blushed:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am the master at getting free stuff.

My friends know it and either are jealous, or try to go with me places to get free stuff.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Looking back, I can relate with you.

One time, employees in a corrupt food service(I worked there one season and now I Know why they're so corrupt) gave me a free slice of pizza when I said I was short like 20 cents,

A couple months ago, these two women offered to give me a pure gold necklace for my mom when I wanted to walk away, several times. They lowered their price to 20$ from like 60$ when it was on sale from like 130$. I won't go into details.

Also, I'm usually polite as well. My friends say they appreciate me because I'm a nice black guy, which is apparently very, very rare because some of my friends don't know any. But I always say that others do exist. :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts