Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to figure this out. Types 5, 7, and 9 all seem to have themes of needing freedom and disliking demands or obligations. To me, the types seem to blur together for that reason. I want to separate them.

What is the specific essence behind themes of freedom, obligation, and daydreaming/escapism within each of these types?

For example, the 5 might experience these themes arising from the feeling of scarcity, "There's not enough of me", and experience obligation as 'intrusion' and avoidance as 'not giving'. But is it perhaps more specific than that? What is 'scarcity' for the 5? What is the essence of Avarice? And how might 7 and 9 experience these themes differently?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
5's are focused on creating and maintaining control over their head space, so any intrusion that they didn't specifically "allow" is extremely unwelcome and you could say that they want 'freedom' from that, but I'm not sure if that is a good word for it. The 5's I know are mostly interested in the type of freedom that is 'freedom from dependency.' Competency oriented type + Denial of needs. Yeah.. they won't be keen on anyone *expecting* anything from them. I really like your breakdown of "not enough of me" and "intrusion" and avoidance. As long as the 5 can work on building understanding and expertise on whichever receives their laser-focus, then the 5 believes that this is all they need. They'll begrudgingly do whatever needs to be done in order to make sure that they can do this, but expect more from them and you can expect a cold shoulder.
Defensive freedom.

7's... ah 7's... The word 'freedom' here applies in a much more straight forward way. Expectations aren't things the 7 cares about much, because they just don't take them into account the same way. 7's are more than happy to ignore any negative implications to their actions, so hell no, there's no one "intruding" onto them because if they don't like it, guess what? They bail. No problemo when you're too busy having fun with and dealing with your next big vision. If you keep on moving then how could anyone possibly chain you down? You're too fast! And far too charming and handsome to be bothered by such mundane things as expectations or worrying about what others might think or feel. Life's too short and there's no way that the 7 is going to "waste" it on being bogged down like that.
Pro-active freedom.

The 9 has a bit of both in a sense, by fact of sharing the withdrawn quality of 5 and the positive outlook of the 7. Sure, the 9 doesn't like being imposed upon, but not so much because they imagine themselves to be ill-equipped to deal with it (like the 5), but moreso because people making demands and pushing needs is a threat to the status-quo, the equilibrium, the balance, the peace,... it invites conflict OMFG!!! Conflict of interest is the last thing the 9 seeks, because it makes them forget about their own interests and needs in an attempt to keep balance by "going along to get along." I doubt that erasing the self is a pleasant experience, so I can imagine a 9 wanting freedom from the obligations in this regard. However, and here is where the positive outlook comes in, much of this doesn't register as much of a problem to the type 9. You see, it is "okay," just "fine." The erasing of the self... until the moment passes and a sort of convenient amnesia steps in that, aside from previously erasing the own needs, now also erases obligations made. Because hey, conflict has been avoided, mission accomplished! Stuff it under the rug! :p
Nonchalant/forgetful freedom.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Weirdly enough these are the types I always test as as a 9w1.

For me freedom is being left alone, it's not being bothered by the drama or garbage coming from the external world or other people. Nine's really try to control their inner sanctuary.They essentially want the freedom to not be affected by the small nuisances of everyday life. Freedom is not controlling others and no one else being able to control you or your mood.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I'm an unhealthy 9 but freedom to me is people leaving to me to my own devices. If they do try to invade my space, I don't appreciate it. That's when my 1 wing gets very wrathful and unleashes all hell on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts