Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever felt trapped in a state/situation before ..but you figured out how to eventually break free/ escape it? If so, what steps did you take & what did you learn from the experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
The battle to escape is always a psychological one, for one can be physically free but not feel free, just as one can be free even if they are imprisoned. For me, I have been trapped in a state of unhappiness following a relationship, and all it took to escape was one moment in which I asked to be free (I don't know if I was asking God, the Universe, or my higher self) and instantly I felt as though a weight was lifted and I got over what I needed to, and I realised that i had been free all along but my mind was keeping me ignorant of the fact.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Plenty of times, if you live long enough. ;-)

How to deal with the feeling of being trapped? Find ways to get out of course.

If it's work, either get a transfer, a promotion, or a new job (before quitting the current one)

If it's relationship, leave if it's not salvageable (do not announce it until you secure the finance and legal front).

If it's family (blood relation), you can cut ties.

If it's where you live, move (get a job or transfer school in a new town).

However, before you do the change part, think long and hard about WHY you feel trapped/dissatisfied. Could it be that your mind is stuck in a loop, getting fatalistic? Sometimes the trapdoor is in your mind, you just have to find it to get free. The sources behind the feeling of being trapped are more important than the action to get off. Once you identify the sources, you may not need to take the actions mentioned above.

Sometimes, the notion of feeling trapped may not be directly related to the outside world but lays within you, in how you perceive your current circumstance or station in life. If so, remember that life is NOT stagnant even if you felt stuck. Life doesn't stay the same forever. At times we need to deal with this frustration of not "seeing changes". Changing the outside world is not the cure.

Have you seen or read "Shawshank Redemption"?

The narrator finds mental freedom inside the jail by carving an active "life" until he's paroled.

The protagonist wants physical freedom by actively chipping his way out of jail.

They both found a way to freedom, one inside the correctional facility and one outside. When a person is desperate for freedom, he finds a way, be it aggressively or passively.

Reactions: Lad

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I experience a heavy dose of claustrophobia with my 7 wing. It's often so much so I feel like I might me 7w6 but that's really just wishful thinking lol!! I'm a total 6w7. But yeah.. Freedom is so ridiculously important!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.