Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Good. Basically all this does though is legitimize grey markets, which weren't exactly illegal anyways. All this means is Valve can't ban users for using them.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,468 Posts
Yep, good. At this point games being digital is being used as a loophole by the industry for us to not be able to resell our games, and to kill off the secondhand market so people only have the option of buying the game new for its full price, which is anti-consumer and disgusting. A game we bought for ourselves should be our property, that we therefore have the right to do whatever we want with, like they used to be. If we want to sell our games it's our right to do so, and there has to be a buyer of that secondhand game for the sale to take place. I flip a big ol middle finger to the industry that wants otherwise.

(Archive mirror because Kotaku is ass)

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,914 Posts
Honestly, I find this drama pointless. There's the Steam with lots of discounts all the time and it has gift sending functionality. Older games tend to get cheaper anyway and all these digital services after a while get rid of older stuff (just like on internet old stuff dies, because it costs to keep it and relevance of things usually is short). Older games die frequently, because OSes change, then there's hardware support question.

What flips me off is that game on Steam cannot be used. It's just a data, it doesn't age or wear down. Therefore it's always as good as new. Effectively person only has a license to use some company's software. This thing cannot lose value or somehow degrade. I dunno, it just shouldn't be called "used", there should be some other word used for that.

·
The spirit of the spirits
10,914 Posts
Steam was leasing property but calling it a sale. That's fraud.
How it is leasing property? First of all, once you bought it, it's forever yours. You can uninstall it and it stays in your accounts, so you don't have to ever pay them again for the game you once had, but deleted. Another thing is that Steam is literally selling games, it simply replaces whoever was once responsible for putting games on CD or DVD, making boxart and manuals. It's not a fraud in the slightest. They are replacing less convenient businesses (discs get scratched, your saves can become corrupt, you may lose box with manual. Steam immortalizes things that games come with and pretty much ensures that everything works until Steam itself dies.).

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I don't think the legal ruling affects the ability to sell games from your library -- rather I believe it affects your ability to resell unused keys and Steam accounts. Both were already legal, but they were (in nearly all cases) prohibited by the Steam User agreement, so if they found out, they could revoke your account access.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked a lawyer friend what it means to us as players and she went on about IP laws and stuff. Basically what she said is that we own the license/right to use the game but we do not own the game, which if I understand correctly (I'm not law expert), means in principle we should be able to sell our license keys (right to use) to others and may even claim ownership of the data in relation to our account stored in Steam servers.

I'm still kinda confused about this IP thing but that's what I think she's trying to tell me. She told me to have a look at the terms and conditions but I can't be bothered.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I asked a lawyer friend what it means to us as players and she went on about IP laws and stuff. Basically what she said is that we own the license/right to use the game but we do not own the game, which if I understand correctly (I'm not law expert), means in principle we should be able to sell our license keys (right to use) to others and may even claim ownership of the data in relation to our account stored in Steam servers.

I'm still kinda confused about this IP thing but that's what I think she's trying to tell me. She told me to have a look at the terms and conditions but I can't be bothered.
Just because we have a right to something does not mean we have a right to sell it...take structured settlements for example

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts