Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody !

I've been lurking for some time, and decided to join in.

I'm 36, have graduated from a Business School but in the early 2000's decided to become a teacher. As an INTP, I valued the time thus gained to learn new things, or simply to waste time in front of a computer screen.

Back in the mid 1990's, my Business School made us pass the MBTI test, and I found it very interesting as it fit me like a glove. When I showed my profile description to my father (who was 60 at the time and INTJ), he said : "That's exactly you. You must change this."

I didn't engage in more research about MBTI at the time. It was only in the last three years that I rediscovered it. I use it more and more often, on all kind of occasions. It helped me managing my pupils( I teach in Junior High).

I'm also interested in the Enneagram system (I tested as a 4w5, but 4 and 5 levels were very close, I could be a 5w4 as well).

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Solsys and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

We have a facebook style chat that you can enable throughout the site... Just read on how to enable it here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/13046-personality-cafe-facebook-style-chat.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Solsys. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to have you here. :p

Are you one of those cool teachers who gives out candy and watches wrestling with students?
(This sounds a lot like some dialogue in the movie Airplane... :crazy: )

Actually I'm not giving out candies, but I do show my pupils some very interesting documentaries and movies.

Like "Threads" (nuclear war), "Soylent Green" , "Culloden" (1964), "Zulu", "Starship Troopers" (about fascism / civic education), "Come and see" (WW2 in Bielorussia), "Darwin's Nightmare" (globalization) etc. etc.

I'm being cool, but it's also because it's better to get the children in a proper mood for learning. Actually I'm a fascinating teacher for some pupils (of the NT type), but many SJ pupils for instance are not thrilled, though they enjoy the relaxed atmoshpere.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Welcome! I *heart* all things French! :happy:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
(This sounds a lot like some dialogue in the movie Airplane... :crazy: )

Actually I'm not giving out candies, but I do show my pupils some very interesting documentaries and movies.

Like "Threads" (nuclear war), "Soylent Green" , "Culloden" (1964), "Zulu", "Starship Troopers" (about fascism / civic education), "Come and see" (WW2 in Bielorussia), "Darwin's Nightmare" (globalization) etc. etc.

I'm being cool, but it's also because it's better to get the children in a proper mood for learning. Actually I'm a fascinating teacher for some pupils (of the NT type), but many SJ pupils for instance are not thrilled, though they enjoy the relaxed atmoshpere.
You must be a great teacher :D

What do you teach? Sorry if you said it in your OP I must have missed it and I'm too lazy to go back and check lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did write about it in another post, sorry I didn't do it here.

I teach History, Geography and Civic Education in Junior High in France. I live in Alsace, which is trying to stay bilingual, and am in a special program that teaches pupils in german. I said Alsace is trying, because generation after generation, the alsacian dialect lose locutors. Teenagers today are on Facebook, and sure don't use alsacian there.

I also teach History & Geography in english, for selected pupils, one hour per week per level.

Teaching in two other languages is far from being the norm for teachers in France, it's just that I have a quite peculiar profile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your welcome !

Just something I wanted to add : MBTI is not well known in France, hadn't it been for the Internet, I wouldn't have been able to find information about it.

There are exactly three pupils I informed about MBTI, with all due precautions. (Some people using it as a kind of horoscope /synastry, others conforming to their type description etc.).

One of them was INTP. She left my school two years ago now, but I saw her again, and she told it has been quite usefull for her on certain issues. I wish someone at her age would have told me about MBTI too, my life would certainly have been different. MBTI is certainly a help for INTPs and INTJ in their younger ages.

·
Registered
659 Posts
salut, mon compagnon INTP

je pense que mon ami francais est INTP ainsi. pensez-vous que cela a à voir avec la culture?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
salut, mon compagnon INTP

je pense que mon ami francais est INTP ainsi. pensez-vous que cela a à voir avec la culture?
Translating : Hello INTP friend, I think my french friend is INTP too, do you think it has to do with the (french) culture ?

Eh bien en effet, le système scolaire français est très cartésien, les caractères du type INTP son en fait encouragés. De plus, ce sont souvent ce genre de personnalités qui voyagent plus souvent, pour les études ou le travail.

Translating : Well indeed, the french school system is very cartesian, INTP types are in fact encouraged. Besides, it is often that type of perosnality who travels more frequently abroad for study or work.

Regarding the perception people have of the french, I often wondered if Inspector Clouseau, from the Pink Panther movies, is not meant to be the caricature of an INTP. Any opinions ?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
'Ello et enchanté :tongue:

Regarding the perception people have of the french, I often wondered if Inspector Clouseau, from the Pink Panther movies, is not meant to be the caricature of an INTP. Any opinions ?
I haven't watched that film but this is the second time I heard about that man in these past 2 minutes.. (Peter Sellers) so I think I should watch it this week^^ and report back

by the way,
I would like to know, do you still see these costumes there?
I always see these big headdresses in photos that are from different regions in Alsace :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are traditional costumes that only appear on some festivals for some aged 60 and above...

They do have the same faces though (esp. in the second picture), but now these gals are dressed like just anybody else in the western world, and have their own facebook accounts etc.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ah I see. I have a few other photos like this and they are labeled "going to church," so I was thinking maybe it is also used as some kind of uniform. What they were on their body often changes though, but generally it is some kind of over-garment or apron

Alsace.. It must be nice to live there. Everything I see of it, it is very 'picturesque' :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts