Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I love to romanticize and idealize aspects of history so the idea of the French Salon sounds so great to me. (have you noticed that ENFPs often like the "idea" of something more than the real something?) In fact, this website is sort of an online abstraction of one in my opinion... Here is the description from wikipedia:
A salon is a gathering of people under the roof of an inspiring host, held partly to amuse one another and partly to refine taste and increase their knowledge of the participants through conversation. These gatherings often consciously followed Horace'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace definition of the aims of poetry, "either to please or to educate" ("aut delectare aut prodesse est"). Salons, commonly associated with French literary and philosophical movements of the 17th and 18th centuries, were carried on until quite recently, in urban settings, among like-minded people.
As I consider various career opportunities, I joke that my true desire in life is simply to sit around drinking good tea surrounded with interesting and fascinating company conversing about just about any topic (except politics and pop culture, hahaha)... Were ENFPs the real energy behind the period of Enlightenment??? The magic 8 ball says "All signs point to yes!"

Anyone hiring for their modern day Salon???:cool:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Forget the 17th and 18th century darling...it's all about the 21st century Enlightenment! ;)

Out of interest, why do you have the Plague Doctor as your avatar....I love it! :laughing:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget the 17th and 18th century darling...it's all about the 21st century Enlightenment! ;)
Out of interest, why do you have the Plague Doctor as your avatar....I love it! :laughing:
Oooh, I enjoy those RSA Animate Videos! They have a good one on autonomy, mastery, and purpose as intrinsic motivational devices important to work... I've watched the one you sent a long time ago, but enjoyed watching it again and feel it makes an important point about empathy as a key point for our 21st century enlightenment! I should brew a pot of tea and have folks over and talk about it!!! You're definitely invited, darling!

Oh, the plague doctor can be a creepy character, but the drawing one I chose is a slightly goofy and therefore less scary I hope... I saw a plague doctor costume at a museum and it captivated me with its bizarre beak nose rumored to hold herbs & incense to protect the wearer from infection as he administered care to the suffering using likely questionable techniques (by modern standards)... I guess since I changed my avatar from my real face to something other was sort of like putting on a mask, and I'm feeling fascinated by the grotesque as of late...

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Oh, the plague doctor can be a creepy character, but the drawing one I chose is a slightly goofy and therefore less scary I hope... I saw a plague doctor costume at a museum and it captivated me with its bizarre beak nose rumored to hold herbs & incense to protect the wearer from infection as he administered care to the suffering using likely questionable techniques (by modern standards)... I guess since I changed my avatar from my real face to something other was sort of like putting on a mask, and I'm feeling fascinated by the grotesque as of late...

Goofy is good :tongue:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sounds too smug and uppity for me. I'd rather be an actor or musician entertaining them than one of the pompous aristocrats.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Shoot, why don't you go ahead and start one? Sites like meetup.com are great for recruiting like-minded folks.

But yes, shooting the shit with fascinating people is definitely one of my favorite things. (I probably would want to talk about politics, though...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts