Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that I never have real conversations with my INTP friends. They're more like conversations (or snarks) about conversations about conversations.

Does it ever get real?

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
lt's funny how you can tell when you're having a conversation with someone, versus having a conversation about a conversation. The difference in tone is Seinfeldy, in a way.

l haven't known enough INTP's to experience this with, sadly, but my ENFP friend once said that he felt like our conversations were like this.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
They're more like conversations (or snarks) about conversations about conversations.

Does it ever get real?

Whoa... seriously? Like converception?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could just be a deflection on the INTP's part. I do that sometimes when I don't really want to talk to someone, or if our previous conversation was just that awesome and needs to be revisited. The possibilities are endless.
I usually 'get real' with people close to me. Other times I create the illusion of a conversation.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Whoa... seriously? Like converception?
I get the joke, but Inception isn't called Dreamception. Please stop using -ception like that.

In all seriousness, I usually feel like I am debating myself and my friend rather than just my friend. I guess its because INTPs have an overwhelming desire to be neutral and understand everything.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
It occurred to me that I never have real conversations with my INTP friends. They're more like conversations (or snarks) about conversations about conversations.

Does it ever get real?
I think there are levels to the types of conversations I have. With people I don't know or trust, I'll usually remain reserved and give polite answers. On this level, I barely reveal any information about myself -- although the people talking to me will believe that they are having a conversation because they're more likely to talk about themselves while I listen. If they ask about my personal life, I'll give short answers and deflect them from prodding any deeper. Usually, I'll even turn what they ask about me back to their lives. In these situations, I'm collecting data from them and not revealing anything significant about myself.

With people I trust more, I'll reveal more of my controversial ideas, dreams, and theories. I'll probably seem much more random because I'm using my extroverted intuition to go on free-wheeling rants. For example, I might mention a good movie I saw, critique some point in psychoanalytic theory, ask questions about our existence, talk about ideas for future inventions, tell absurd/dark jokes, and so on. At the same time, I reveal very little personal information. In this stage, I demonstrate more of what I feel rather than talk about it.

With those I've known for a long time and trust, I'll do the same as above but talk about what I value, what has meaning in my life, what some of my fears are, and mention deeply personal matters. But I'll still not reveal most of what I feel inside. Only on rare occasions I'll open up emotionally and when I do, it's pure and intimate. But those occasions are difficult because I have a lot of trouble expressing my emotions. But when I do express those emotions, they are always meaningful to me.

Most of the time I keep everything hidden away, perhaps out of fear because emotions make me feel so vulnerable and exposed. Most of the time with people, I'm so naturally reserved that it's difficult to reveal something that might seem so natural to others. I normally assume the role of the outsider looking in at people. It's like I'm standing outside my body and observing the motions of life while being reluctant to participate.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
For the INTP, oftentimes the meta is the real. You have to ask yourself what INTPs think about your definition of "real". Seems to be a showdown (in your case) between Se and Ne. (See that? I just went meta.)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yes, I'm familiar with this same experience.

All of my INTP friends have lately been greeting me with, “Mentioning the weather's been great lately,” and, “How about talking around the water cooler?”, and, “I mentioned seeing Todd at the supermarket yesterday,” and, “How was discussing that new movie?”—need I go on?

I thought I was alone.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
*10 bucks for the first INTP who turns this thread meta*
Post #10

I took conversations about conversations back a step to look at the difference in information processing between Extroverted Sensing and Extroverted iNtuition and what each considers "reality" to demonstrate the structure behind the OP's observation.

Please send a check or money order to,

EmotionallyTonedGeometry
The Internet
Philladelphia, PA 19122

You'd best get delivery confirmation.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It occurred to me that I never have real conversations with my INTP friends. They're more like conversations (or snarks)

Does it ever get real?
"about conversations about conversations."

funny, i do it too. i think its Ti, we like to build mutual structures between people personally, and this is done by building a thought structure between you and another. i think its an important skill, which without, nothing would lead to anywhere.

even if the other doesnt do this, i still make a map and do references to past things i noted they said.

Reactions: Ista

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Honestly, this thread is blowing my mind.

I'm looking back at all the times I talked about what a party is and how stupid they are... while at a party.

Do we really do this that often???

Reactions: eks and Ista

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
Post #10

I took conversations about conversations back a step to look at the difference in information processing between Extroverted Sensing and Extroverted iNtuition and what each considers "reality" to demonstrate the structure behind the OP's observation.

Please send a check or money order to,

EmotionallyTonedGeometry
The Internet
Philladelphia, PA 19122

You'd best get delivery confirmation.
:kitteh:

i remember you.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
ITT: INTP's talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about talking about stuff.

:blushed:

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
What's a 'real' conversation? Do other types of conversation exist if they're not 'real'?

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

Does it ever get real?
And you started a post about conversations. Don't blame us :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts