Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think some people value the concept of friends too much, to the point where they'll accept or overvalue 'bad' friends just on the basis on them friends?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you think some people value the concept of friends too much, to the point where they'll accept or overvalue 'bad' friends just on the basis on them friends?
Yes, I believe people will make "bad" friends just to have friends. You see the same trend in unquestionably unhealthy relationships. It isn't necessarily to value the concept - it might just as well be to value the need (i.e. introverts/extroverts).

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
It depends on how people are. I've seen friends of mine make craptacular choices in friends and men; just because they accept anyone as a friend. After they get betrayed, they feel absolutely devastated over it; when, upon meeting the person, you could see it for miles away that the traitor was a douche. It's a fact of life, like scamming lawyers.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It depends on how people are. I've seen friends of mine make craptacular choices in friends and men; just because they accept anyone as a friend. After they get betrayed, they feel absolutely devastated over it; when, upon meeting the person, you could see it for miles away that the traitor was a douche. It's a fact of life, like scamming lawyers.
This is what one of my friends told me about a common friend of ours. I gave the person way too much credit and saw the good more readily than the seemingly bad. Well, it was the wrong choice and a very bad decision that left its scars. What I learned from this kind of recurring experience is that there are 2 things one should listen to when opening up to and accepting another person:
1) Intuition
2) Common sense/ logic.

When I go with "heart-based" "gut" feelings I usually see a GREAT DEAL of goodness and beauty in the person, which is a good thing! BUT usually people don't live out that potential, provided it actually is there to begin with. Well, anyways, this kind of relationship will ultimately end in great disappointments and eventually betrayal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts