Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be a good friend I believe in being supportive, showing interest in what my friend is working on or what she has accomplished. Most of my friends are supportive of me as well, but occasionally I will know somebody who loves to receive support and compliments, but never ever gives them....And this bothers me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. She is always showing me what she has recently sewed or baked. She is always talking about what she is doing and I show interest and compliment what she has made if it looks impressive (which it usually does). But I can't help noticing that she never says anything about my interests. I am a dance instructor and sculptor and have other interests as well and when she sees what I have done she says nothing and changes the subject. I don't even need a compliment, just a comment, I don't know. I can't help but wonder if this 'friend' feels competitive with me or are her social skills just so poor that she thinks that it is only she who has talents. I also notice she will give other people very generous compliments in my presence which I also find strange. Could I be imagining this?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Sometimes it can be a matter of how you accept compliments as well. If you're anything like me you -appreciate- compliments, but you don't necessarily respond to them either. I usually discard compliments pretty hastily, or have no general reaction, but I may reflect on them later and use it as an ego boost.

Outside of that though, it could be what you mentioned. I don't really like throwing things like jealousy (competition) out there, but it's entirely possible.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I guess my question is this: does it matter if she never compliments?

I'm pretty black and white in approaching relationships. Either I like spending time with that person or I don't. You can't change people and it's rude to try. So you either take her as is or you decide this person is nice enough but you'd rather be spending time with someone else and you go spend time with someone else.

Expectation of reciprocation isn't a great foundation to build a friendship on. Of course the question becomes what if you have person in your life just takes and doesn't give. Well eventually, that person falls into the category of people you don't like spending time and you go elsewhere. Time is the currency of relationships.

Reactions: white-knuckle

·
Registered
917 Posts
Wow. I have to agree with INFP blog in many ways. But I also have to add that relationships/friendships are always something you can work on. Communication is important.

Its okay to say someone hurt your feelings. You can always say with a lot of tact that youd really appreciate her input on things you do. Maybe its something she needs to work on, to listen and say more loving things. Everybody has thier weaknesses Im sure rather than losing a friend you could just try to be bring it up more often.

Some people just arent as sensitive to other people. And its okay to verbally and tactfully voice what your feeling she might not realize she does this and she may appreciate being told.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts