Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you have more friends (and I mean real ones) in the internet, or anywhere, more than in everyday "real" life? (which is a bit stupid to say, because the internet is a part of reality too xD anyway)?
Do you go out much?
I don't like going out to the places where most people go...like discos, and all. I feel out of place, and I leave so soon.
I need time to talk to my friends, but in more calm places.

So, how's your ideas on friendship?? what do you think??

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Do you have more friends (and I mean real ones) in the internet, or anywhere, more than in everyday "real" life? (which is a bit stupid to say, because the internet is a part of reality too xD anyway)?

I have a lot of friends, but I am reserved and I often pull back socially more than I should. Two of my best friends whom I trust the most were ones I saw when we studied together in UK a lot of times, the other two best friends I found from youtube (I've already met one of them face to face). I am happy with a set of a few friends whom I can love without restriction when it comes to trust.

Do you go out much?

Not as much as I can or should, hah.

So, how's your ideas on friendship?? what do you think??

Friendship is precious, sacred, spiritual, humble and generous. It doesn't have to have that crap the media or other people always show; it doesn't need too much ego, prizes to show off, cliched cliqueish thingies whatever. You don't have to have a stupid ''us versus them'' mentality or show off,''I love my best friend! I had lunch with him/her'' by posting pictures everywhere only for the sake of showing off.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Honestly, I think I know more people in real life than online, but I'm not sure I'd call any of 'em "friends" - I guess I have high standards?

I have phases where I go out a lot and phases where I just need some quiet and time to myself. As I become more "well" and as I start to draw myself out of my shell and get more comfortable in social situations, the former get longer and the latter get shorter. Also, I am gradually getting to where socialization just expends less energy.

I always prefer to talk to my real life acquaintances online, where I can choose my words more carefully/have time to think/can edit. And that was also my initial approach with both my exes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let me put it this way, I live in Wales and have more friends in Romania than here. *cough*
I think in total I have roughly equal amounts of local friends and internet ones (I am right near the border so I do still have some in England). My best friend I actually met over the internet and he's just moved close enough to make meeting up regularly possible (for university).

Otherwise: I really do NOT go out anywhere enough. :unsure:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got a lot of people I talk to not too much friends that I can confidently say they're a friend though but enough to keep me satisfied for now, and on the internet I wouldn't say I really have any friends... just people I sometimes will chat with I guess it's kinda weird for me to truly consider someone I never met in person or at least talked with on the phone or something a friend

I probably could have a lot more friends if I wanted but realizing it I'm real picky about who I share myself with because I had a lot of "fake" friends in the past and I don't wanna end up in a drama circle like that again. A friend for me though is just someone who I got good memories with, similar sense of humor is real important to me, and can have great conversation with about things we both like to talk about and do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually I have no online friends. I never really did the aim or im thing because it made me nervous and I recently deleted my facebook. So I do have more in person friends, and I am quite fond of them.

Ehh as of recently recently I have not gone out much, but that might be because I've been feeling down lately. Usually I'd hang out with my friends once a week or every two weeks, and if I wasn't going out to see my friends I would go out to a "party" in my community where all the people are either old or really young. Nothing too much.

Friendship is a special kind of bond. I am very grateful for the friends I have, and because I've have such good friends, sometimes I feel no desire to try to befriend other people. I'm not saying I don't ever want to get to know other people, I would just rather let it happen rather than try to force a friendship.

·
Registered
444 Posts
do you have more friends (and I mean real ones) in the internet, or anywhere, more than in everyday "real" life? (which is a bit stupid to say, because the internet is a part of reality too xD anyway)?
Real life by far. I can think of only one good internet friend...and she's in another country than me. I think i'm in an unuusal state...I just moved out of what was a social house...everyone would come and go., Most of my "friends" are Exxx's, and often I could keep up with them. so, in a sense, i have a large number of "friends".

However, what I consider close friends is a very very small list. 3 or 4 people. one since i've known since 2nd grade. the others i've known for at least 7 years. its a fairly long time.

Do you go out much?
Depends on what you mean by "go out". I'm a homebody with a sense of adventure. I love going out and doing things but boy does it feel good to get back home.

I don't ever...or rarely go out to big events...clubs, bars, dance things, etc. concerts are the one exception. I do go out to eat, movies, bowling, making stupid videos in walmart hoping to get onto "peopleofwalmart.com" :crazy: stuff like that.

so...the reason I put some "friends" in " is because I'm not sure if i consider those people friends. I usually just call it my social group. because that's what it is. we hang out, and granted a lot of them talk to me and I have had deep conversations one on one with a lot of them, generally we just keep it at hanging out and having fun together. its a love hate relationship. because its really fun sometimes...but I prefer a smaller group. a smaller group that's more intimate. that's what I consider friends. those who *know* you.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
116 Posts
i can relate almost exactly to what you said about needing quieter places to talk with friends. as for friends...

... i think that i only have two in everyday life, many acquaintances, a therapist whom i really connect with, and one person online with whom i converse frequently...

.. i normally live on a university campus, so i don't really need to go out all that much... i basically stick around there.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't have many close personal friends in real, everyday, in-my-town life. The only one who is really reliable is my neighor, a homeschooling anarchist mom who goes drinking with me a few times a month. We bitch about our relationships and talk politics. The next closest would be another mom I know from my daughters' school...she's separated, and I aspire to become separated, so we work on my escape plan.

The others are online or out of town friends. Two are folks I met through a political blog...a girl in North Carolina and a guy in Arizona. The latter is an architect and aspiring poet, and probably also INFP. I can tell him anything. This possibly is a platonic kind of relationship...we both have said we love each other, but we are both married and I doubt he wants to change his situation. Sigh...but it's wonderful to have him as a friend anyway :)

I do also have a reliable "cheerleader" who is the husband of one of my husband's childhood friends. He lives out of town and isn't much on email, but he will take my phone calls anytime during the day and cheer me up when I'm blue.

Oh, I didn't answer question #2. I try to get out of the house every day. Usually that's because I work and have to get my kids back and forth from school. But I can't stand just hanging around the house because it's messy and I always feel I have to be doing housework. So I at least get out to the local park, a few museums, or find a new cemetery or another old building to explore...or even just go to the local coffeeshop to write. Home has too much dirt and too much laundry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts